The 2008 Yamaha FX Cruiser SHO is the new flagship of the Yamaha WaveRunner fleet. With a beautiful metallic paint finish, this King of cruisers is sure to be the machine of choice for discerning people who want enjoy the very best of marine leisure and recreation.
The newly developed engine of the Yamaha FX Cruiser SHO not only has a generous 1,812cc displacement but also adds a supercharger to deliver exhilarating power like you have never experienced before. This is the largest displacement engine ever built into a production PWC. And you can fill up the 18.5 gallon gas tank of this little beauty with Regular Unleaded gas. Yamaha has a reputation for reliability, and you shouldn’t expect anything less from this engine.
The Super High Output engine includes an onboard computer, making this the first PWC with an electronic throttle- what we call “fly-by-wire” technology. Along with engine performance enhancements like the throttle being more responsive, there are some other benefits that fall into the comfort and convenience category.
The highly refined hull design of the FX Cruiser SHO that changes this awesome propulsion into exciting performance on the water is built with a new super-lightweight construction material called NanoXcel™ for an extra performance boost. Nanotechnology it’s the wave of the future, and Yamaha is the first PWC builder to use it in their manufacturing process. What it involves is engineering at the molecular level. That means huge benefits created by some broad advances in the properties of manufactured materials like plastics, for example.
This waverunner carries 1, 2, or 3 persons for a total capacity of 529 pounds, and has storage space totaling 26.4 gallons. Some of the features are also recognizably Yamaha are things such as the pop-up docking cleats and the “Three-point Cruiser Contact System” features that we’ve seen and commented positively on in the past.
The heart of the trademarked “Cruiser” concept is the Cruiser seat that is ergonomically designed to provide comfortable riding even in the high-speed range. The security provided by the seat, combined with the adjustable tilt steering and raised foot chocks allow both driver and passengers to simply relax and enjoy the ride. There’s a remote controlled security system and a low rpm mode which can be activated from up to 30 feet away. Along with the comprehensive digital instrument package, a new addition is the Industry’s only on board fuel flow meter, so you can monitor your fuel consumption.
New electronic control systems like the industry-first "Cruise Assist" help provide a level of convenience and comfort to your cruising unlike anything you have experienced before. You will also appreciate the full range of special features including the Multifunction Instrumentation Panel and Pull-up Cleats.
The FX Cruiser SHO moves the bar up yet another notch in terms of luxury and comfort for the longer-distance recreational rider. Ergonomic, seating, raised handlebars, a multi-function instrument panel and handy pull-up mooring cleats are just some of the extra Cruiser features of this flagship model.
The 2008 Yamaha FX Cruiser SHO has all the comfort characteristic of a Yamaha Cruiser, only better.
You will feel a big difference since your first acceleration. The FX Cruiser SHO takes off like a rocket. Once you’re underway, the feel of the boat is solid, yet the ride is nimble. Acceleration, turning response and top speed are all obviously improved. It’s much easier to feel than it is to describe.
The FX Cruiser SHO can reach a top speed of 66 mph, and can jump from 0 to 60 mph as fast as a sports car in only 6.8 seconds. And if you think that’s fast what do you think about this: in just 1.8 seconds the FX Cruiser SHO accelerates from 0 to 30 mph. At 30 mph you can ride for about 125 miles on a full tank.
The2008 Yamaha FX Cruiser SHO is a really complete top-end PWC package that delivers style, comfort, convenience, and reliability. This top-of-the-line watercraft is aimed at the discriminating buyer who is looking for the total package of luxury, features, and most of all, performance. Most of all, it’s one nice ride.
- The FX Cruiser SHO is powered by an all new 1.8 liter, supercharged, super high output Yamaha Marine Engine. This 1812cc engine, which is purpose built for the marine environment, is the largest displacement engine ever installed in a personal watercraft. It is also the only engine in the high-performance, four-stroke category optimized to run on the least expensive Regular Unleaded fuel.
- Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI): Four electronically controlled fuel injectors, throttle position sensor (TPS) and intake air pressure and air temperature sensors supply the optimum air/fuel mixture. The results are a smooth, high power output with low fuel consumption and low exhaust emissions.
- Specially Designed, One-piece Cylinder and Crankcase Assembly: Provides tremendous engine rigidity that’s lighter and stiffer than two-piece designs.
- Slant Detection Switch: Electronic switch stops engine and oil pumps immediately if watercraft becomes overturned, protecting motor from unwanted water ingestion.
- High Volume Intake Box: With water repellent air filter and flame arrestors.
- Wet Sump Lubrication: Uses two engine oil pumps to deliver lubricated oil to each moving part with water-jacketed sump and oil backflow protection.
- Yamaha Engine Management System (Y.E.M.S.): An integrated, computerized management system that controls and adjusts such functions as ignition timing, fuel injection mapping, engine diagnostics and off throttle steering. The OTS function of Y.E.M.S. activates when the operator releases the throttle lever and attempts to steer the watercraft. This assists the operator in turning while the watercraft is decelerating.
- Independent Water-jacketed Exhaust Manifolds with Collector: Achieves high power while keeping noise and exhaust heat under control.
- Thermostatic Cooling System: Water flow through the engine is automatically controlled through a thermostat sensor.
- Corrosion Protection System: Sacrificial zinc anodes protect the engine from harmful galvanic corrosion. Stainless steel fasteners (nuts, bolts, hardware) provide a long service life. Cylinders, cases and heads are all treated with a durable oxide coating to form a barrier between corrosion and expensive engine parts.
- Electronically Controlled, Variable Ignition Timing: For exact ignition advance control at all throttle positions and RPMs.
- Direct Ignition: For more efficient combustion.
The Jet Pump Propulsion System
- The FX Cruiser SHO’s 155mm hyper-flow jet pump propulsion system: The three-blade stainless steel impeller is designed to maximize water flow for high performance. The FX pump configuration provides excellent hook-up and smooth acceleration.
- The industry’s only Reverse with Traction Control technology: maintains the perfect RPM to provide the optimal speed for effectively maneuvering when the watercraft in reverse
- Quick Shift Trim System (Q.S.T.S.): Mechanically operated, this system offers instant change in the attitude of the watercraft while underway allowing for tighter turns or quicker acceleration on plane, as the rider prefers. Q.S.T.S. offers 24 degrees of total trim range.
- Stainless Steel Impeller Housing Liner: For high durability, the liner maintains accurate clearance tolerances between the impeller and the housing.
- High Flow Intake Duct and Grate: The dynamic shape of these items directs water flow into the pump for better thrust, performance and hook up.
- Pumps are Manufactured with YDC30: A combination of zinc and copper alloys, developed by Yamaha marine engineers, that offers excellent corrosion protection.
The NanoXcel Hull and Deck
- The FX SHO features the world’s first hulls and decks manufactured through the use of cutting edge nanotechnology. Yamaha’s new NanoXcel ultra-lightweight, high strength material reduces the weight of the hull, deck and liner by 25% and provides performance gains in acceleration, top speed and handling. Additionally, the NanoXcel material offers a shinier, gem-like finish which reduces surface tension on the water, providing a more nimble, responsive ride.
- Progressive, Stepper Draft V-Hull with Integrated Bow Spray Guard: Provides excellent maneuverability, handling and comfort.
- Sponson Design: Provides added straight-line comfort and an improved two-up and three-up riding experience.
- Yamaha’s exclusive Cruise Assist: The industry’s first system that allows the driver to set and hold a particular speed while maintaining a comfortable riding position with the throttle. Once the speed is set, the driver can increase or decrease the speed through the simple push of a button. When the throttle is disengaged the system shuts off.:
- Yamaha’s exclusive No Wake Mode: makes cruising through no-wake zones a breeze. Once engaged, the no-wake mode moves the engine’s RPMs to an optimal speed, approximately 5 mph, for efficiently navigating through a no-wake zone. Once through, the driver simply applies throttle and the no-wake mode is released.
- Yamaha Cruiser Seat: Yamaha’s innovative Cruiser seat provides excellent comfort for the passenger and driver.
- Four-step Adjustable Tilt Steering System: Allows the rider to adjust the steering column angle from 55 degrees to 35 degrees.
- Multi-function Electronic Information Center: Provides the operator a quick read on speed, RPM, fuel level, low fuel warning, low oil pressure warning, battery voltage, overheat warning, hour meter, check engine light with self-diagnostic function and the industry’s only audible warning system.
- Industry’s First Remote Controlled Transmitter: With the touch of a button on Yamaha’s innovative remote controlled transmitter, you can activate and deactivate the FX Cruiser SHO’s digital security system and all-new Low RPM Mode from up to 30 feet away.
- Foot Chocks: The foot chocks, along with the Cruiser seat and handlebars, create a three-point contact system that reduces tension on the driver’s arms and legs.
- Low RPM Mode™: Also with the touch a button on the remote transmitter, the top speed of the FX Cruiser SHO is reduced by nearly 30 percent.
- Yamaha Security System: This security system that can be activated with the touch of a button ensures that no one starts the FX Cruiser SHO without your permission.
- 26 Gallons of Total Storage: Includes a large 19.8-gallon cooler, rear storage tub and glove box.
- Glove Box with Self-draining Beverage Holders: The industry’s first self-draining beverage holders.
- Extra Large Boarding Platform with Retractable Reboarding Step: Provides a stable area for reboarding.
- Dual Mirrors: Automotive style and convenience.
- Finger Throttle Lever: Provides added comfort while reducing hand fatigue.
- Yamaha’s Trademarked Visibility Spout®: A waterspout from the rear of the craft that improves the watercraft’s conspicuity.
Engine Type: 4-Cylinder, 4-Stroke
Bore/Stroke: 86 x 78mm
Fuel: Regular Unleaded
Type of Exhaust: Wet
Type of Lubrication: Wet Sump
Cooling: Open-Looped, Water
Compression Ratio: 8.6:1
Carburetor/Injection: Electronic Fuel Injection
Ignition Timing: 20° BTDC
Spark Plug: NGKLFR6A
Pump: 155mm Axial Flow
Transmission: Direct Drive from Engine
Impeller: 3-Blade, Stainless Steel
Length: 132.7 in. (3.37 m)
Width: 48.4 in. (1.23 m)
Height: 48.8 in. (1.24 m)
Dry Weight: 841 lbs (381 kg)
Fuel Capacity: 18.5 gal (70 l)
Oil Capacity: 1.1 gal (4.2 l)
Vehicle Capacity: 3 person/ 529 lbs (240 kg)
Storage Capacity: 26.4 gal (100 l)
Hull Material: NanoXcel
Warranty: 1 year limited warranty
Color: Crimson Red Metallic; Platinum Metallic
Price: starting at: 12,799 USD