Never before has a personal watercraft been capable of dominated both the performance and luxury categories like Yamaha’s FX Cruiser SHO. Named 2008 "Watercraft of the Year" by Watercraft World, the 2009 FX Cruiser SHO combines Yamaha’s luxurious cruiser seat with an amenity-rich layout and a nimble NanoXcel hull and deck—seamlessly melding intuitive design with indulgent performance.
The FX Cruiser SHO is everything a discerning rider really wants! The discerning riders demand the best components that completely satisfy the demands of unparalleled performance, comfort that makes you want to stay on the water, luxury that draws attention wherever you go and naturally top quality. Provided with a high output 1.8L supercharged engine, a NanoXcel ultra lightweight hull incorporating nano-technology that features superior maneuverability, comfort and stability, and a variety of electronic control functions, the 2009 FX Cruiser SHO is the culmination of the best technology available in a contemporary PWC.
The cruiser concept can be counted as one of the most unique innovations in the PWC industry, providing a riding position with the best possible comfort and stability. The radiant shining bronze color reflected on the water is proof that this model is one of the chosen.
The 1.8 liter, 1812cc, supercharged, super high output Yamaha Marine Engine is the largest displacement engine ever installed in a personal watercraft offering the high-performance needed to enjoy a perfect ride.
Despite an increase of more than 70% in displacement compared to the existing model and the addition of the supercharger and intercooler, the increase in engine weight has been kept to just 15%. Also this engine has a completely new lubrication system that has been developed by combining a compact air-liquid separation chamber and a scavenger pump to achieve and unprecedented reduction in engine size while providing the lubrication function necessary to accommodate a PWC’s rugged use conditions.
Anyone who rides the FX Cruiser SHO is sure to be amazed at how easily such a high-performance machine as this responds to the will of the rider.
This hull is a veritable work of art that lets the rider maneuver at will and at times play across the waves with abandon. In every detail of its highly precise design you will find Yamaha’s ideals of PWC design.
The engine and the body alone don’t create the world’s best watercraft. You also need technology and great features for that. Features like the adjustable steering that reduces arm fatigue for additional comfort, the cruise assist that minimizes throttle tension for long afternoons of cruising, the remote transmitter that sets the RPMs for maximum fuel efficiency, the reverse traction control that governs engine speed to provide efficient use of the pump (impeller) and prevent over-throttling for smoother reverse motion, and many others make this waverunner one of the best on the market.
The FX Cruiser SHO has won more awards than any other personal watercraft in history. The unmatched performance of the Super High Output engine, the history-making ergonomics of Yamaha’s exclusive Cruiser seat, the breakthrough nano-engineering, and the luxury convenience features make the FX Cruiser SHO the absolute best touring watercraft on the water.
- The FX Cruiser SHO is powered by a 1.8 liter, supercharged, super high output Yamaha Marine Engine. This 1812cc engine, which is purpose-built for the marine environment, is the largest displacement engine ever installed in a personal watercraft. It is also the only engine in the high-performance, four-stroke category optimized to run on the least expensive Regular Unleaded fuel.
- Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI): Four electronically controlled fuel injectors, throttle position sensor (TPS) and intake air pressure and air temperature sensors supply the optimum air/fuel mixture. The results are a smooth, high power output with low fuel consumption and low exhaust emissions.
- Specially Designed, One-piece Cylinder and Crankcase Assembly: Provides tremendous engine rigidity that’s lighter and stiffer than two-piece designs.
- Slant Detection Switch: Electronic switch stops engine and oil pumps immediately if watercraft becomes overturned, protecting motor from unwanted water ingestion.
- High Volume Intake Box: With water repellent air filter and flame arrestors.
- Wet Sump Lubrication: Uses two engine oil pumps to deliver lubricated oil to each moving part with water-jacketed sump and oil backflow protection.
- Independent Water-jacketed Exhaust Manifolds with Collector: Achieves high power while keeping noise and exhaust heat under control.
- Thermostatic Cooling System: Water flow through the engine is automatically controlled through a thermostat sensor.
- Corrosion Protection System: Sacrificial zinc anodes protect the engine from harmful galvanic corrosion. Stainless steel fasteners (nuts, bolts, hardware) provide a long service life. Cylinders, cases and heads are all treated with a durable oxide coating to form a barrier between corrosion and expensive engine parts.
- Electronically Controlled, Variable Ignition Timing: For exact ignition advance control at all throttle positions and RPMs.
- Direct Ignition: For more efficient combustion.
The Jet Pump Propulsion System
- The FX Cruiser SHO’s 155mm hyper-flow jet pump propulsion system: The three-blade stainless steel impeller is designed to maximize water flow for high performance. The FX Cruiser SHO pump configuration provides excellent hook-up and smooth acceleration.
- The industry’s only Reverse with Traction Control technology: Maintains the perfect RPM to provide the optimal speed for effectively maneuvering when the watercraft is in reverse.
- Quick Shift Trim System (Q.S.T.S.): Mechanically operated, this system offers instant change in the attitude of the watercraft while underway allowing for tighter turns or quicker acceleration on plane, as the rider prefers. Q.S.T.S. offers 24 degrees of total trim range.
- Stainless Steel Impeller Housing Liner: For high durability, the liner maintains accurate clearance tolerances between the impeller and the housing.
- High Flow Intake Duct and Grate: The dynamic shape of these items directs water flow into the pump for better thrust, performance and hook up.
- Pumps are Manufactured with YDC30: A combination of zinc and copper alloys, developed by Yamaha marine engineers, that offers excellent corrosion protection.
The NanoXcel Hull and Deck
- The FX Cruiser SHO features the world’s first hulls and decks manufactured through the use of cutting edge nanotechnology. Yamaha’s NanoXcel ultra-lightweight, high strength material reduces the weight of the hull, deck and liner by 25% and provides performance gains in acceleration, fuel savings, top speed and handling. Additionally, the NanoXcel material offers a shinier, gem-like finish which reduces surface tension on the water, providing a more nimble, responsive ride.
- Progressive, Stepper Draft V-Hull with Integrated Bow Spray Guard: Provides excellent maneuverability, handling and comfort.
- Sponson Design: Provides added straight-line comfort and an improved two-up and three-up riding experience.
- Yamaha’s exclusive Cruise Assist: The industry’s first system that allows the driver to set and hold a particular speed while maintaining a comfortable riding position with the throttle. Once the speed is set, the driver can increase or decrease the speed through the simple push of a button. When the throttle is disengaged the system shuts off.
- Yamaha’s exclusive No Wake Mode: makes cruising through no-wake zones a breeze. Once engaged, the no-wake mode moves the engine’s RPMs to an optimal speed, approximately 5 mph, for efficiently navigating through a no-wake zone. Once through, the driver simply applies throttle and the no-wake mode is released.
- Yamaha Cruiser Seat: Yamaha’s innovative Cruiser seat provides excellent comfort for the passenger and driver.
- Four-step Adjustable Tilt Steering System: Allows the rider to adjust the steering column angle from 55 degrees to 35 degrees.
- Multi-function Electronic Information Center: Provides the operator a quick read on speed, RPM, fuel level, low fuel warning, low oil pressure warning, battery voltage, overheat warning, hour meter, check engine light with self-diagnostic function and the industry’s only audible warning system.
- Industry’s First Remote Controlled Transmitter: With the touch of a button on Yamaha’s innovative remote controlled transmitter, you can activate and deactivate the FX Cruiser SHO’s digital security system and all-new Low RPM Mode from up to 30 feet away.
- Low RPM Mode™: The personal watercraft industry’s first fuel saving feature, Low RPM can reduce fuel consumption by up to 26% based on average annual use.
- Yamaha Security System: This security system that can be activated with the touch of a button ensures that no one starts the FX Cruiser SHO without your permission.
- 26 Gallons of Total Storage.
- Glove Box with Self-draining Beverage Holders: The industry’s first self-draining beverage holders.
- Extra Large Boarding Platform with Retractable Reboarding Step: Provides a stable area for reboarding.
- Dual Mirrors: Automotive style and convenience.
- Finger Throttle Lever: Provides added comfort while reducing hand fatigue.
- Yamaha’s Trademarked Visibility Spout®: A waterspout from the rear of the craft that improves the watercraft’s conspicuity.
Engine Type: 4-Cylinder, 4-Stroke
Bore/Stroke: 86 x 78mm
Fuel: Regular Unleaded
Type of Exhaust: Wet
Type of Lubrication: Wet Sump
Cooling: Open-Looped, Water
Compression Ratio: 8.6:1
Carburetor/Injection: Electronic Fuel Injection
Ignition Timing: 20° BTDC
Spark Plug: NGKLFR6A
Pump: 155mm Axial Flow
Transmission: Direct Drive from Engine
Impeller: 3-Blade, Stainless Steel
Length: 132.7” (3.37m)
Width: 48.4” (1.23m)
Height: 48.8” (1.24m)
Dry Weight: 841 lb (381 kg)
Fuel Capacity: 18.5 gal (70 L)
Oil Capacity: 1.1 gal (4.2 L)
Vehicle Capacity: 3 person/529 lb (240 kg)
Storage Capacity: 26.4 gal (100 L)
Hull Material: NanoXcel
Warranty: 1 year limited warranty
Color: Crimson Red Metallic; Bronze Metallic