Made in 1926 the Auburn 8-Eighty Eight was designed by E. L. Cord himself in Auburn, Indiana with the hopes of creating a American made sports car that had a special mark as a sign of distinction for the rest of the world to take notice. The two door touring cars were powered by Lycoming 4.2 Liter straight eight cylinder engine ranging from 88 HP all the way up to 115 HP giving the car an 85 MPH top speed. The 88’s styling was performed by Al Leamy, a recent addition to the Auburn staff and would become famous in the years to come, with the design of the L-29 Cord automobile.
The Auburn Cord Duesenberg Automobile Facility is nationally significant as one of the few remaining examples of a small independent automobile company. The Art Deco showroom and administration building, service and new parts department building, and the L-29 building, remain as visual reminders of this company’s proud past and achievements in automotive history. Each building represents a different stage in automotive development and construction from the drafting tables of the initial design stages, to the final display on the showroom floor. Additionally, the high level of interior and exterior integrity, coupled with its interpretation of administrative space, showroom, and production facilities, contributes to its national significance.
More than one million people, from all fifty states and sixty foreign countries, have visited the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum since it opened in 1974. The Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum and the National Truck and Automotive Museum of the United States continue to interpret the history of the Auburn Automobile complex in Auburn, Indiana. Future plans include continued restoration and preventative maintenance of the nominated resources.