Audi announced the US specifications on the Q5 crossover that will go on sale on the American market in March. In here it will be offered with a 2 V6 FSI direct injection engine, quattro® all wheel drive, and a six speed Tiptronic transmission. Also the Q5 will be the first Audi offering with Generation 3 MMI, and navigation with real-time traffic information.
The 3.2L V6 engine will delivers 270hp @ 6500 rpm and a peak torque of 243 lb-ft @3000 rpm. The 0 to 60 mph sprint will be made in 6.7 seconds. In Europe the Q5 is being offered with a 2.0 TFSI, 2.0 TDI and a 3.0 TDI.
The Q5 will compete with Acura RDX, BMW X3, Infiniti EX35, Land Rover LR2 HSE, current generation Lexus RX350, Mercedes Benz GLK350, and the upcoming Volvo XC60.
UPDATE 02/06/09>: Audi USA announced that the 2009 Q5 crossover will go o sale next spring at a price of $37,200. Pricing for the Audi Q5 Premium Plus starts at $41,500, and the Audi Q5 Prestige starts at $48,200.
Full details in the press release after the jump.
Key Summary Points
• The Audi Q5 builds on the foundation established by the Audi Q7, and strengthens the brand’s presence in the SUV segment.
• The Audi Q5 will be offered in the USA in March 2009 (2009 model year) with a 3.2 V6 FSI direct injection engine, quattro® all wheel drive, and a six speed Tiptronic transmission.
• The Audi Q5 will be the first Audi offering with Generation 3 MMI, and navigation with real-time traffic information.
Competitive Advantage Summary
• Best-in-class city fuel economy of 18 mpg with 23 mpg highway (amongst AWD traditional powertrain competitors).
• Best-in-class 4,400 pound towing capacity (most have 3,500 lbs or less).
• Longest wheelbase in its class.
• Audi drive select option (unique to segment) helps the driver customize engine/throttle mapping, transmission shift characteristics, steering, and suspension.
• 3-zone climate control standard (the only competitor in the segment w/ rear zone climate control).
• Standard reclining / sliding rear seats.
• 40/60 split rear seats fold from levers located inside cargo area.
• Ski/snowboard pass-through within the split fold rear seats (unique amongst German luxury competitors).
• Clamshell shape trunk opening allows low and wide rear cargo entry point, and a very clean design execution for exterior rear lighting area.
• Standard 12-way power front seats with leather seating surfaces throughout.
• Innovative ESP system recognizes when roof rail cross bars are in place and adjusts accordingly.
• Electronic dipstick allows customers to check the oil from inside the cabin.
• 3G MMI shows latest evolution of 3D navigation.
• The Audi Q5 belongs to the IHG Small SUV segment, which is forecasted to grow dramatically over the next few years as new entrants arrive and customers replace their luxury sedans for luxury crossovers.
• Key competitors are the Acura RDX, BMW X3, Infiniti EX35, Land Rover LR2 HSE, current generation Lexus RX350, Mercedes Benz GLK350, and the upcoming Volvo XC60.
• Based on the current Audi A4 platform.
• Sporty proportions and muscular stance due to long wheelbase and wide body design.
• Reduced front overhang adds to visual sportiness.
• Elimination of roof joint strip, which lends to a high visual quality and minimized airflow noises.
• Typical Audi interior design is modern and sophisticated, with clear attention to detail
• Standard 18” wheels (235/60 all-season tires), full body monochromatic paint, LED taillights, and aluminum exterior trim.
• New modular chassis architecture with longer wheelbase and wider track
• Blending four cars into one, Audi drive select adapts the dynamics of the Audi Q5 to suit the driving experience you desire. The system controls the adaptive suspension, the dynamic steering, the transmission shift characteristics, and the engine response. Four operating modes are available: Comfort, Automatic, Dynamic, and Individual, which allows a custom response profile.
• Consistent use of high-strength and ultra-high strength steel grades for a highly rigid occupant cell with optimized deformation properties.
• Hood and tailgate made from aluminum for lower weight and reduced opening and closing forces.
• Extensive aluminum suspension componentry to reduce unsprung weight and enhance steering feel.
• Compact trapezoidal-link rear suspension which enables a low cargo load floor and high luggage capacity.
• 3.2L V6 specifications:
o FSI direct injection
o Audi Valvelift System (AVS) variable intake valve lift
o 270hp @ 6500 rpm
o 243 lb-ft @3000 rpm
o Track: front – 63.7 inches / rear – 63.5 inches
o 0-60 mph in 6.7 seconds (USA estimated)
• quattro® AWD – latest generation with asymmetric rear-biased torque split (40/60)
• Tiptronic fast-shifting six-speed automatic transmission
• Towing preparation standard; available through dealer
• All U.S. cars have towing preparation standard, which includes trailer brake controller wiring for use with trailers over 1500 lbs.
• A trailer hitch receiver for the Audi Q5 is available through all authorized Audi dealers with a total capacity of 4,400 lbs.
• Audi Q5 is best-in-class regarding towing capacity.
o Acura RDX = 1500 lbs
o BMW X3 = 3500 lbs
o Land Rover LR2 = 3500 lbs
o Lexus RX = 3500 lbs
o Mercedes GLK = 3500 lbs
o Infiniti EX = towing not recommended
o Volvo XC60 = n/a
Innovations and available features
• MMI operating logic standard (with central display screen)
• Audi side assist
• Dynamic ESP configuration (on road, off road, and roof cargo configurations)
• Power tailgate
• Audi Intelligent Key – stores service information in the key
• Audi advanced key keyless entry and starting
• Audi music interface – world renowned iPod connectivity
• Bluetooth hands-free telephone interface
• Mercury-free Audi xenon plus headlamps with LED daytime running lights
• LED tail lamps
• Audi parking system advanced with rearview camera
• Electromechanical parking brake
• HDD-based Navigation system with real-time traffic information
• Generation 3 MMI system
• Thermo heated/cooled cupholder
• Bang & Olufsen 505W 14-speaker sound system