Overall, the A4 is easier than ever to buy and still brings one of the finest interiors in the entry luxury sport sedan segment. This year’s Premium Plus and Prestige models come standard with S-line body kits and a slightly revised front bumper that includes a darker shade for the single-frame grille and a reshaped diffuser piece out back.
Rumors are swirling about a refresh in 2014 or 2015. Even so, the current A4 is charged with defending Audi market share in this hyper-competitive luxury compact segment.
Updated 07/02/2014: Audi announced prices and some updates for the 2015 A4 which is now available at dealers. Updates for 2015 include a series of new exterior colors, some new packages and interior updates.
Click past the review for the full review of the 2014 Audi A4 with info on the new features and options.
The A4’s styling is well-resolved and appealing to consumers in the market for their first entry-level luxury car. As the cheapest Audi to wear the brand’s LED running lights up front, the A4 is instantly a contender versus upstarts like the Hyundai Sonata and Kia Optima.
The adaptive xenon lighting package that includes the latest LED design is standard on the Premium Plus and Prestige trims, which also brings along an upgraded S-line exterior trim kit. No photos are yet available of the A4 wearing the new-for-2014 Black Optics packagee, which deletes the chrome grille surround and the window trim brightwork.
Despite some very conservative styling, the A4 carries some interesting upward creases in its lower sill panels to help the shape feel more dynamic. The shared nose design with larger Audi sedans helps the little A4 to command attention in traffic.
The latest taillights have a solid LED band near the bottom of the lens and a re-profiled trunk lid with a subtle flip near the edge. In base-level Premium cars, the LED taillights are standard but the LED Daytime running lights are part of a $1,000 optional extra.
New for 2015
- S line® exterior standard on Premium models
- Xenon plus lighting and LED taillights standard on Premium models
- Sport Plus package
- Technology package
- Five new exterior color
2014-2015 Audi A4 Exterior Dimensions:
|Overall length||185.1 in.|
|Overall width||71.9 in.|
|Overall height||56.2 in.|
|Track (front/rear)||61.6/ 61.1 in.|
|Weight||3,516 pounds (CVT), 3,627 (quattro), 3,693 (quattro automatic)|
2014 Audi A4 Standard Exterior Features:
- Audi Singleframe grille
- Xenon plus headlights with LED daytime running light technology
- Automatic headlights
- LED taillight technology
- Power-adjustable, auto-dimming, heated exterior side mirrors with memory
- Front and rear fog lights
- Dual exhaust outlet (driver’s side)
- Aluminum trim around exterior windows
- LED turn indicator light technology integrated into the exterior side mirrors
- Heated windshield washer nozzles
2014-2015 Audi A4 Exterior Options:
- 18-inch 10-spoke exclusive RS-design wheels
- New-for-2014 S-line Style package
- New-for-2014 Black Optics Package
- Adaptive xenon plus headlights with self-leveling and LED daytime running lights and static cornering lights
- Metallic/pearl/crystal effect paint
- Power folding, power-adjustable, auto-dimming, heated side mirrors with memory
The A4’s interior is still a fantastic place to be, especially compared with many loaded midsize cars that overlap in the A4’s $35,000 price range.
There is a distinct sense of quality and prestige not only about the dashboard and controls, but the seats, the headliner fit and quality, and countless other small details. Everything simply feels luxurious and installed for life.
The addition of the standard Convenience Package shows Audi is in touch with consumer demands, even at the bottom of its range. This package includes Bluetooth phone calls, a Homelink garage-door opener and the Audi music interface to control portable media via a USB link.
The A4 comes standard with a 6.5-inch MMI Radio Plus central control unit and a 180-watt stereo. These are both good and full of valuable features. The real upgrade comes from the MMI Nav option for $3,050 extra. This includes Bluetooth audio streaming, as well as a trial subscription to AudiConnect for Google Earth integration. This also enables in-car internet searches from the MMI screen. The MMI display is not a touchscreen and is controlled by the console-mounted knob.
The other major trick the A4 brings to the interior competition is a standard Audi Drive Select to alter the settings of the throttle, suspension, dynamic steering and transmission. It can range from full comfort to full sport mode. This is a rare inclusion on such an affordable Audi.
The interior comes in black or grey leather with a few wood trim options available to replace brushed aluminum. The appealing Layered Oak is available and looks nice with the aluminum trims around the center tunnel.
As before, the trunk is tight at just over 12 cubic-feet but extendable via the standard split-fold rear seat. Surprisingly, this is a feature that is not always available on the BMW 3 series and Lexus IS250 .
New for 2015
- Three-zone climate control standard on Premium models
2014 Audi A4 Interior Dimensions:
|Headroom With Sunroof (Front/Rear)||40.0/37.5 in.|
|Headroom With Sun Shade (Front/Rear)||38.6/37.5 in.|
|Legroom (Front/Rear)||41.3/35.2 in.|
|Shoulder Room (Front/Rear)||55.5/54.3 in.|
|EPA Cargo Volume||12.4 cubic-feet|
|EPA Cargo Volume (Rear Seats Folded)||34.0 cubic-feet|
2014 Audi A4 Standard Interior Features:
- Eight-way power front seats and four-way power lumbar adjustment for driver; Leather seating surfaces; Heated front seats; Driver seat memory
- Split folding 60/40 rear seatback
- Audi MMI Radio Plus 6.5-inch infotainment controls; Audi music interface with iPod integration ; Audi concert radio with ten speakers and single CD player with MP3 playback capability
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio with 90-day trial subscription
- Cruise control with coast, resume and accelerate features
- Bluetooth wireless technology preparation for mobile phone
- Garage door opener (HomeLink)
- Rain/light sensor for automatic windshield wipers and headlights
2014 Audi A4 Interior Options:
- Audi MMI Navigation plus system: with TFT color, WVGA, seven-inch display screen, control knob w/ joystick and buttons in center console. Operates climate control, central locking, instrument cluster, vehicle diagnostics, phone, navigation, CD and radio functions. ($3050)
- Audi connect with six-month trial subscription with Audi MMI Navigation plus only
- Bang and Olufsen Sound System with 14 speakers and 505 watts (includes Dolby Digital 5.1 and noise compensation) ($850)
- Bluetooth streaming audio with Audi MMI Navigation plus only
- Sport package: Sport suspension calibration, Four-way power lumbar adjustment, Sport front seats ($750)
Drivetrain, Suspension and Brakes
The most exciting thing for 2014 is a slight power bump from the one available engine. The 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder now includes variable valve timing on both intake and exhaust for a horsepower jump up to 220 from 211.
As before, this little engine is deceptively powerful and produces its full 258 pound-feet of torque starting from 1,500 rpm upwards.
This lunges the front-drive CVT model to 60 mph in 6.6 seconds while also delivering 32 mpg on the highway. The manual-transmission Quattro is just ahead at 6.4 seconds, and the Quattro automatic wins the race with a 6.2 second 0-to-60 mph sprint. All top out at a tire-limited 130 mph.
2014 Audi A4 Mechanical Details:
|Trim Level||A4 Multitronic||A4 Quattro Manual||A4 Quattro Tiptronic|
|Engine Size and Type||2.0-liter Turbocharged 16-valve I-4 With Chain-Driven DOHC And VVT||2.0-liter Turbocharged 16-valve I-4 With Chain-Driven DOHC And VVT||2.0-liter Turbocharged 16-valve I-4 With Chain-Driven DOHC And VVT|
|Peak power (Horsepower)||220||220||220|
|Peak torque (Pound-feet)||258||258||258|
|Transmission||CVT Automatic||6-Speed Manual||6-Speed Automatic|
|0-to-60 mph||6.6 seconds||6.4 seconds||6.2 seconds|
|Top Speed||130 mph, limited||130 mph, limited||130 mph, limited|
|Fuel Economy Estimates (City/Highway/Combined)||24/32/27||24/32/26||20/29/24|
The A4 aced the traditional crash tests from IIHS and the NHTSA for a 2013 Top Safety Pick credit from IIHS. This is visible in the NHTSA’s full-frontal collision in which the A4 performs exceptionally well.
2014 Audi A4 Safety Features:
- ABS (Anti-lock Brake System) with EBD (Electronic Brake-pressure Distribution) and Audi brake assist
- ESC (Electronic Stability Control): System includes ABS / EBD / EDL / ASR and off-road mode
- Central locking system
- Sideguard head curtain airbags for both rows of seats
- Crash sensor: If crash sensor is activated, the following with happen automatically: central locking automatically unlocks doors, interior lighting is switched on, fuel pump and engine are switched off, hazard warning lights are switched on
- Impact protection, including reinforced high strength steel/aluminum cross-members, reinforced bumpers and rigid occupant cell
- Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren (LATCH) provisions in rear seats
A4 base prices jump up about $1,300 for 2014 with the inclusion of the Convenience package as standard.
2014 Audi A4 Prices:
|Model||Premium Trim||Premium Plus Trim||Prestige Trim>|
|A4 2.0T FWD Multitronic||$33,800||$37,300||$42,600|
|A4 2.0T Quattro Manual||$34,700||$38,200||$43,500|
|A4 2.0T Quattro Tiptronic Auto||$35,900||$39,400||$44,700|
2015 Audi A4 Prices:
|A4 2.0T FWD Multitronic||$35,500||$37,600||$42,900|
|A4 2.0T quattro Manual||$36,400||$38,500||$43,800|
|A4 2.0T quattro Tiptronic®||$37,600||$39,700||$45,000|
The CLA250 is also a turbo-charged front-drive sport sedan whose prices are expected to closely mirror the A4 when it arrives in late summer. The CLA is not available with all-wheel drive from launch but does use a better 7G-tronic automatic gearbox for the front-drive cars. The CLA also looks much fresher inside and out.
Gallery Mercedes CLA-Class
The Lexus IS250 is just arriving in dealers since its reveal earlier this year. The new small sports sedan has a sharper style up front with free-standing LED daytime running lights. It also gets much sportier styling with revised body-sides and trunk that incorporate a dramatic rising profile line. The IS is a rear-drive car from launch with an AWD option on the smaller engine expected by winter time.
Gallery Lexus IS
The A4 is still an excellent luxury sports sedan with a refined driving experience and high-quality cabin. Its exterior style lags a bit behind the latest competitors for flair, but the conservative appearance is still relatively timeless and classy.
There is a duality in the A4’s character that comes from either being front or rear drive. At the low end, the A4 is a car that will always drive better and more confidently than a loaded Camry or Fusion. At the high end with AWD, the A4 is still markedly cheaper than the performance offerings from Mercedes and BMW.
The availability of a six-speed manual with the Quattro AWD system changes the equation in favor of the A4 as a sports sedan. It brings more driving zest than the AWD versions of the Lexus IS and a different brand image too.
Among buyers seeking the latest in flashy style, rear seat room and cabin tech, the A4 falls short. Even so, as classically-styled, handsome and affordable sports sedan with a fantastic cockpit, the A4 is hard to beat.
|Driving||B+||Drive Select Settings For Throttle And Steering Are Handy|
|Performance||B-||Not The Quickest But Good MPG And Real-World Responsiveness|
|Look||C+||Still Attractive But Proportions And Nose Are Not Fresh|
|Value||A||A Huge Step Up Versus Loaded Mid-Size Cars Costing $35,000-Plus|
|Overall||B+||Still A Contender With Lavish Cockpit And Handsome Looks|
- LED lamps still gorgeous
- Quattro with six-speed manual is a desirable combination
- Tunable engine capable of producing more horsepower than stock
- Looking pretty dated
- Some interior tech gaps like Bluetooth audio with MMI only
- Limited style or performance options
Audi introduces the 2014 Audi A4
- 2.0 TFSI® engine increased to 220 horsepower on Audi A4
- Black optic package, S line Style package and S line exterior available
- Convenience package with Bluetooth®, Homelink®, Audi music interface and driver information system standard on A4
HERNDON, Va., Jun 25, 2013 - The Audi A4 and S4 continue into the 2014 Model Year with a host of enhancements and new content improving the best-selling nameplate for the Audi line-up, known for its progressive design, sportiness and efficient performance.
The 2014 A4 and athletic S4 bring increased power, exhilarating driving dynamics, intelligent technologies, state-of-the-art infotainment, and new design elements to the road.
Performance in the Audi A4, first introduced in 2008 as the fastest and most fuel efficient engine versus its six-cylinder competitors, has been further enhanced for the 2014 Model Year. The 2014 A4 is powered by the 2.0 TFSI® turbocharged and direct-injected, four cylinder engine with increased horsepower of 220, which – along with variable valve timing and valvelift – helps the A4 to perform stronger than its actual size. The A4 offers three different transmissions to suit individual tastes – a multitronic® continuously variable automatic, six-speed manual, and eight-speed Tiptronic® automatic.
The S4 features the award-winning supercharged 3.0-liter six-cylinder engine that produces an exhilarating 333 horsepower and 325 lb-ft torque. Mated to a six-speed manual or seven-speed S tronic® transmission, the S4 is fitted with the legendary Audi quattro® all-wheel drive. An available rear sport differential actively distributes the power between the rear wheels and enables superior cornering and acceleration as the driver exits a turn.
The A4 and S4 feature electromechanical speed-sensitive power steering, which removes weight from the front of the car, and offer available dynamic steering to adjust steering input based on the speed of the vehicle. Audi drive select – which allows drivers to configure vehicle drive characteristics exactly to their liking with their choice of Comfort, Auto, Dynamic or Individual setting – is standard on the S4 and included in the available A4 Sport package.
To give the A4 a sportier overall appearance, A4 Premium plus and Prestige models feature a standard S line exterior – including modified front and rear bumper and side skirts, S line door sills and S line fender badging – and new 18-inch 10-spoke exclusive RS-design wheels.
A new S line Style package is also available, which features 18-inch 10-spoke design wheels, all-season tires, Audi Xenon plus front lighting, dynamic headline range adjustment, LED taillights, high-gloss aluminum exterior window trim, S line fender badgers, S line bumpers, side sill blades, and stainless steel door sills with an S line badge.
The A4 is available in two new metallic colors: Cuveé Silver and Dakota Gray.
The Audi S4’s sporty and stylish exterior is enhanced with standard 18-inch 5-parallel-spoke Star design wheels, Alu-optic outside mirrors, Singleframe® grille in Platinum Gray with horizontal chrome bars, and Audi xenon plus headlights with automatic self-leveling and LED daytime running lights.
The 2014 A4 and S4 mark the introduction of the Black Optic package, featuring a Black optic grille with high-gloss Singleframe® surround, Gloss-black window surround, 19-inch Titanium Rotor-design wheels and body-colored side mirrors.
For the 2014 Model Year, an optional exclusive line interior and split folding rear seats in the Cold Weather package are available. The A4 comes standard with four-spoke multifunction leather-wrapped steering wheel with high-gloss accents; aluminum door sill inlays; and Aluminum decorative inlays on the door panel interior beltline, center console and passenger side dashboard. Eight-way power front seats and four-way power lumbar adjustment enhance comfort for the driver.