For the European market, the Audi Q3 was unveiled in 2011 after being previewed by the Cross Coupe quattro concept at the 2007 Shanghai Motor Show. Now it’s our turn, as Audi decided to release it for the 2015 model year.
With the incredible success the Q5 and the Q7 are already enjoying and the increased demand for compact SUVs in the U.S., it is really no surprise to see the Q3 on American soil. The Q3 is expected to be an even more successful model, thanks to its combination of a coupe-like look with the utility of a SUV and the usual features offered by an Audi SUV — "utility, technology, craftsmanship and performance."
The 2015 Audi Q3 will be unveiled at the 2014 Detroit Auto Show and will be put on sale in the fall of 2014. Prices will be announced at a later date.
Click past the jump to read more about the 2015 Audi Q3.
Most of the design cues seen in the 2015 Q3 are taken from the Cross Coupe quattro Concept, including the low roof line, flat D-pillars and the wraparound tailgate. Just like its European brother, the 2015 Q3 is offered with a Singleframe grille with vertical elements and large air inlets that ensure proper cooling for the four-cylinder engine.
As standard, the Q3 comes with signature, wedge-shaped headlights housing xenon-plus lighting and LED daytime running lights. The Q3 will also come standard with LED taillights, of course.
Just like every other Audi model, the interior of the 2015 Q3 will be both elegant and ergonomic. Despite it being a "compact" SUV, the Q3’s cabin is spacious and comfortable, offering enough room for five passengers and up to 48.2 cubic feet of cargo room with the rear seats folded — 16.2 cubic feet with the seat up.
The Q3 is equipped with white LEDs illuminating the doors, foot wells, vanity mirrors, storage compartments and the air vent thumb wheels, giving the cabin a nice glow. Also included are heated, 12-way power front seats, leather seats and a leather-wrapped steering wheel.
Unlike the European market, where customers can choose between four different engines, We get just one engine for now: a 2.0iliter, turbocharged four-cylinder engine that delivers 200 horsepower and 207 pound-feet of torque. No performance figures were announced for it, but we expect them to be nearly identical to the European model: 0 to 60 mph in under seven seconds and a top speed of about 145 mph. Fuel economy will likely land around 33 mpg.
The engine mates to a standard six-speed Tiptronic transmission and will send its power to the front wheels. Buyers can opt for Audi’s quattro permanent all-wheel-drive system. There is also an optional Audi drive select system that allows drivers to adjust handling and response at the touch of a button. It features three driving modes: Comfort, Dynamic, and Auto.
2015 Audi Q3 - Drivetrain Specifications
| Engine | 2.0-Liter TSFI Four-Cylinder |
| Output (Horsepower @ RPM) | 200 @ TBA |
| Torque (LB-FT @ RPM) | 207 @ TBA |
| Standard Transmission | Six-Speed Tiptronic |
| Acceleration (0-60 MPH) | TBA |
| Top Speed | TBA |
Suspension and Brakes
The 2015 Q3 will be offered with standard 18-inch wheels, while 19-inch alloy wheels are offered as an alternative. Doing the stopping is a high-performance brake system with vented front discs and solid rear discs.
The Q3 comes standard with an advanced suspension system that features MacPherson struts up front with forged aluminum lower wishbones. Around back, it has a four-link rear axle with a separate spring and shock absorber arrangement.
The 2015 Audi Q3 will be put on sale in the fall of 2014. Prices will be announced at a later date.
The new Mercedes GLA is a very new model on the market, but if it will turn up to be as successful as the CLA sedan then both the X1 and the Q3 will have lots of reasons to fear.
The 2015 GLA is offered with a turbocharged, 2.0-liter engine that delivers a total of 208 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque, which puts it right in line with the Q3. Just like with the Q3, the GLA has optional all-wheel drive and it delivers pretty impressive performance figures: 0 to 60 mph in just 6.4 seconds and a top speed of 145 mph.
Gallery Mercedes-Benz GLA-Class
Its true the BMW X1 is now enjoying having the market nearly to itself, but things will change once the Q3 and the GLA roll out. For 2015, we expect to see the X1 to receive mild updates, but the engine lineup will likely carry over, which will give it a 240-horsepower 2.0-liter as standard and an optional 300-horsepower 3.0-liter engine. In terms of raw power, the X1 crushes the Q3 and GLA, but it is missing something in the looks department.
Gallery BMW X1
In our crowded cities, compact cars are a must and it looks like Audi finally took notice of that. The Q3 is the perfect solution for those wanting to combine all the comfort features of an SUV with a compact footprint required for overcrowded parking lots.
- Awesome looks that put it in the front of the class
- Impressive comfort features
- Gets quattro drive
- Only one engine available
- Much less powerful than the X1
Gallery Audi Q3
The new 2015 Audi Q3 will arrive in the U.S. in the Fall of 2014 and will join the already successful lineup of Audi SUVs that includes the Q5 and Q7. It will make its U.S. debut at the North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) in Detroit on January 13th. The Q3 is a premium, compact SUV that pairs coupe-like looks with the utility of a SUV. Its quality engineering and advanced features offer ideal performance and functionality, but also advanced technology and driving dynamics.
“Coming off the recent A3 family announcement we are now for the first time entering into the premium compact class of SUVs with the introduction of the Audi Q3 into our line-up,” said Scott Keogh, President, Audi of America. “Our growing SUV family will now offer three distinct products in the premium SUV category; and like the successful Q5 and Q7, the Q3 will continue with the established standards they started with regards to utility, technology, craftsmanship and performance.”
The Audi Q3 comes generously appointed with a long list of standard equipment, including:
• 200 hp 2.0-liter TFSI® engine with six-speed Tiptronic® transmission
• Panoramic sunroof with power retractable sunshade
• Audi xenon plus front lighting with LED DRLs and taillights
• Heated, 12-way power front seats
• Leather seating surfaces
• Audi advanced key
Design and Body
The Audi Q3 model’s coupe-like lines are an expression of its sporty character. This is demonstrated by:
• Low roof line, flat D-pillars, and a wraparound tailgate
• Distinctive exterior lighting
• Sharply drawn lines on the flanks frame athletically arched sheet metal surfaces - the defining shadow contour is the Tornado line
• The housings of the side mirrors sport LED turn signals
• Both the hood and tailgate are made of aluminum
• The signature, wedge-shaped headlights house xenon plus lighting and LED daytime running lights, which are combined with LED taillights, all standard
• The available power tailgate opens electrically, including via the remote key fob, and swings up to accommodate the spacious cargo area
The interior of the Audi Q3 is spacious and comfortable for all five passengers. Its elegant, ergonomic design boasts superior build quality. Evidence of the premium character of the Audi Q3 can be seen in every last detail in the interior craftsmanship, in the selection of the materials, in their processing and in the tight, consistent interior gaps.
• The cargo area offers a base luggage capacity of 16.2 cu ft. Folding down the split rear seatbacks increases this capacity to 48.2 cu ft.
• Standard LED interior lighting – a technology that bathes the interior in dramatic light
• Efficient white light-emitting diodes illuminate the doors, foot wells, vanity mirrors, storage compartments and the air vent thumb wheels. LED light guides even accentuate the cup holders
• When equipped with the BOSE Surround Sound system, the frames of the woofer/mid-range speakers in the front doors form elegant rings of white light
• The Q3 comes standard with two front airbags, thorax-pelvis side airbags in the backs of the front seats and side curtain head airbags. Safety belt tensioners up front, belt force limiters and the integral Audi head restraint system. Rear side airbags are optional.
Powertrain and Performance
The standard 2.0 TFSI four-cylinder engine in the Q3 produces 200hp and 207 lb-ft. of torque.
• Standard six-speed Tiptronic® transmission
• Front wheel drive standard, Audi quattro® permanent all-wheel drive available
• Optional Audi drive select system - allows drivers to adjust handling and response at the touch of a button. There are three drive select modes: Comfort, Dynamic, and Auto.
Chassis and Suspension
The Q3 brings more sportiness to the compact premium SUV class. Its balanced chassis combines agile handling, supreme safety and great road comfort.
• The Q3 model’s front suspension is a sophisticated design featuring McPherson struts with forged aluminum lower wishbones. The rear includes a four-link rear axle with a separate spring/shock absorber arrangement to maximize interior cargo space.
• Electromechanical power steering with speed-dependent power assist
• ESC with offroad mode and hill descent assist
• Standard 18-inch wheel with optional 19-inch design available
The Q3 showcases many aspects of Audi expertise found in our full-size luxury vehicles and makes that content and technological prowess available in a premium compact SUV.
• Sport package including front sport seats with adjustable thigh support
• Driver Assistance package including Audi side assist and Audi parking system with rearview camera
• Audi MMI navigation plus with 7.0-inch color monitor
• Power tailgate with a programmable preset opening angle
• The Prestige trim package includes extended infotainment and convenience features including Audi connect®
• Audi side assist uses radar to help make changing lanes easier
• BOSE Surround Sound system. This system features a ten-channel receiver delivering 465 watts of power to 14 speakers
The 2015 Audi Q3 features the award-winning infotainment system, Audi connect®, when the Prestige trim package is ordered.
• Factory-fitted, in-vehicle Wi-Fi connectivity for passenger use, enabling the Audi connect system to deliver connectivity to up to eight wireless devices for passengers.
• The on-board Audi MMI navigation plus system is enhanced with Google Earth™ maps for a true aerial view of the route.
• Audi connect also features real-time localized weather, news and live fuel prices
• Google Voice™ Local Search for detailed information about travel destinations, such as restaurant or hotel hours, pricing and customer reviews
• myAudi Destination feature, which allows users to log on to Google Earth from virtually any location in the U.S. and download up to 50 destinations to the vehicle
• Audi also offers real-time Sirius XM® Traffic information via enhancements to the Audi MMI Navigation plus system (active Sirius XM® Traffic subscription required).