Bentley is making its way over to the 2012 Geneva Motor Show packing a highly distinctive and sporting interpretation of their luxurious Mulsanne model. The Mulsanne Mulliner Driving Specification Edition receives many new features, as well as debuting two new options for the full range of Mulsannes.
The Bentley Mulsanne Mulliner Driving Specification will be distinguished by a pair of sweeping wing vents made from cast, polished stainless steel, a black matrix grille, a new set of unique 21-inch alloy wheels, Bentley Flying ‘B’ wing vents, and Diamond Quilted leather trimmed cabin with driver-selectable, sports-tuned suspension and steering. Powering this luxurious model will be the usual 6.75 liter V8 engine delivering 505 HP, mated to an 8-speed automatic transmission. The combination will allow the Mulsanne to sprint from 0 to 60 mph in 5.3 seconds, on its way up to a top speed of 184 mph - impressive numbers for a luxury limousine.
The Mulliner Driving Specification is set to be revealed next month at the 2012 Geneva Motor Show, so stay tuned!
UPDATE 03/07/2012: We have added a series of new, live images from the Bentley Mulsanne Mulliner’s official debut in Geneva. Check them out in the picture gallery!
Hit the jump to read more about the new Bentley Mulsanne Mulliner Driving Specification.
Bentley’s flagship car tourer was the first vehicle independently designed by Bentley in almost 80 years, so exterior modifications are few and far between. The new model has been built on a steel monocoque body structure combined with superformed aluminum front wings, an aluminum bonnet, aluminum doors with superformed structure, and extruded aluminum side impact beams.
At the front of the new Mulsanne Mulliner is a black matrix grille, twin bi-xenon projector headlamps with LED halo, and a pair of sweeping wing vents made from cast and polished stainless steel. The car sits on a new set of unique 21-inch, light aluminum alloy wheels with race‑derived, titanium fasteners, bright-finished rims, and 265/40 ZR21 tires. The 2-piece wheels are available in both painted and polished finishes, and exclusive to the Mulsanne Mulliner Driving Specification. They are also compatible with Bentley’s optional self-leveling wheel badges.
For the interior of the Mulsanne Mulliner Driving Specification, Bentley has prepared a bespoke, driver-focused look. The leather from the front and rear seats and door casings features an intricate Diamond Quilting pattern specially designed for the new model. The interior door handles are also unique with a "knurled" or "coined" surface finish, and the gear lever is hand-finished with a Baseball-style cross stitch. The accelerator and brake pedals are made from drilled alloy.
As with all Mulsanne models, the Mulliner Driving Specification will be offered with over 100 paint color options, a virtually limitless choice of unbleached premium quality veneers (with two marquetry options), and a selection of 22 leather hides.
Comfort & Convenience
The real changes made to the Bentley Mulsanne Mulliner Driving Specification are all about comfort and convenience. Bentley will be introducing two new options for the full Mulsanne line in the new special edition: a large tilt-opening, tinted glass sunroof and an exquisitely designed, electrically operated bottle cooler complete with hand-blown and hand-cut lead crystal champagne flutes. The new sunroof tilts to the front compartment with a powered Alcantara roller blind. This options is standard in North America and China, but will be available as an option in the rest of the world.
Other features for the full Mulsanne line include:
- Front seats with 12-way electrical adjustment, including lumbar support, two memory positions, easy entry/exit function and adjustable heating
- Front passenger seat - full adjustment from rear cabin. Controls housed in rear center armrest
- Two-plus-one rear seat configuration with 8-way electrical adjustment to outboard seats, including lumbar support, two memory positions and adjustable heating
- Four-zone air conditioning including additional rear cabin A/C unit with front and rear controls for fan speed and temperature
- Traditional, polished stainless steel bullseye air vents & organ stop controls
- Four-spoke, hide trimmed, multi-function steering wheel with electric adjustment for tilt and reach with two memory positions, easy-entry function and paddle shift
- Twin front center armrests with hide-lined storage and cordless telephone handset. (Telephone handset not available in North America and Japan)
- Electrical height adjustment for front seatbelts with two memory positions
- Cruise control
- Electrochromatic auto dimming interior rear view mirror with on/off button
- Remote-controlled three-button garage door opener integrated in roof console. (Standard in North America, cost option in rest of world)
- Rain sensing windscreen wipers
- Sentinel headlamp functions
- Folding rear center armrest console with controls for seating and air conditioning and leather-lined stowage compartment with 12 V socket
- Remote control with dedicated stowage in center console for rear-seat control of main infotainment system including Navigation
- Power windows with one-touch operation and anti-trap protection
- Acoustic glazing with infra-red reflective interlayer (except front screen to allow use of mobile communications and toll readers)
- Electrically operated privacy blinds for rear windows and rear screen, controlled from front or rear cabin with one-shot operation and anti-trap
- Twin adjustable front cupholders
- Twin hand-crafted rear cupholders with dedicated stowage
- Front and rear cabin cigar lighters and solid metal ashcans in rear doors
- Hide-lined glovebox with illumination and 12 V power socket
- Leather-bound owner’s handbook housed in dedicated stowage shelf within glovebox
- Document stowage compartments to front seatbacks
The Bentley Mulsanne Driving Specification also provides the ultimate in entertainment with an 8" high-resolution color screen that displays infotainment and vehicle systems information. This is highlighted by a Central Multi Media Interface (MMI) rotary controller with convenience keys for instant access to main system menus of: Navigation, Telephone, Radio, Media (Including TV when fitted), Tone, Information and Car systems. This system has a 60 GB hard disc drive unit fitted in the glovebox with 20 GB of personal storage space, single slot DVD drive, and 2 x SD card readers.
Music can be enjoyed with the Mulsanne audio system with 14 speakers and two subwoofers, with digital sound processing. The system has full iPod and MP3 player compatibility including full-color album art display and video playback, as well as a 6 x CD changer fitted in glovebox. Folks can also relish in the simplicity of the Digital radio (DAB) or satellite radio (SDARS) features.
Directions in the Mulsanne are provided in the most luxurious way with a Satellite navigation system integrated in the vehicle’s hard disc, ensuring fast route calculation. This system has four map configurations including 3-D topographical maps, city views, and day/night display modes, as well as seven-digit post code destination entry and active traffic information.
The Mulsanne Mulliner Driving Specification is iPod and iPhone compatible and features a Micro USB for other smartphones, including the Blackberry. Markets will be able to take advantage of a telephone system with Bluetooth wireless connectivity, but most markets (excluding North America and Japan) will be able to get a cordless telephone cradle mounted in front armrest with a SIM card reader in the hard drive unit.
Safety, Security, and Charging
The Bentley Mulsanne Mulliner Driving Specification has a number of safety features, including intelligent driver’s and front passenger air bag with front passenger air bag deactivation facility and head and thorax airbags fitted to the front and rear seats. The 3-point seat belts on the front seats have electric height adjustment and memory function, pyrotechnic pre-tensioners, and force limiters, while the 3-point seat belts fitted to the outer and center rear seats have pyrotechnic pre-tensioners and force limiters.
Other features include:
- Rear seat ISOFIX child seat fixings with top tether points
- Direct tire pressure monitoring system with provision for speed related warning
- Vehicle Immobilizer & Interior volumetric alarm system
- Battery conditioner with magnetic trickle charging point concealed in rear registration plate recess
- 12 V power sockets located in glovebox, rear center armrest and boot in addition to cigar lighter sockets in front and rear cabin
The new Bentley Mulsanne Mulliner Driving Specification is powered by a 6.75 liter V8 engine mated to an 8-speed automatic transmission. This combination delivers 505 HP, sprinting the Mulsanne from 0 to 60 mph in 5.3 seconds, on to a top speed of 184 mph.
The special edition Mulsanne will also be equipped with the Drive Dynamics Control system, which allows suspension and steering systems to be tuned to a preferred driving style. This system has received a unique "Sport" setting that provides enhanced grip, body control, and steering accuracy without compromising ride comfort.
Prices for the new Bentley Mulsanne Mulliner will be announced at a later date.
With Maybach out of the picture, Bentley has plenty of reasons and opportunity to create a luxurious and sporty vehicle aimed at the market Maybach has left wide open. That being said, there is still Rolls Royce to contend with. The Rolls Royce Ghost is gaining more territories with its powerful 6.6 liter twin-turbo V12 engine. This engine delivers 563 HP - a bit more than the Mulsanne. Bentley has one-upped the Ghost in the only way an automaker can: they have made the Mulsanne comfortable and exclusive.
- Powerful and luxurious at the same time
- Impressive interior
- Debuts two new Mulsanne options
- No prices yet, but we bet it will be very expensive
- Rolls Royce is a tough competitor