Options: an expanded range offers, new and appealing choices
The program of factory options is notable not only for its extent and variety, but also because many features formerly available only on or in the “higher” 5, 6 and 7 Series now become available in this more accessible Series.
Among these are a 6-speed automatic transmission, Active Steering, Active Cruise Control, Comfort Access, window sunshades for the rear and rear-door windows, Xenon Adaptive headlights, iDrive, Voice Command, Navigation with real Time Traffic Information, the Logic7 audio system and factory-installed Sirius Satellite Radio. Features new to the 3 Series are denoted with an asterisk.
- Premium Package. Adds familiar and new features to all models:
- Leather upholstery
- Auto-dimming exterior and interior mirrors
- Power-fold exterior mirrors
- Digital compass in the interior rearview mirror
- BMW Universal transceiver, a 3-function remote for garage doors and other external devices
- 4-way power lumbar support on the front seats
- BMW Assist, BMW’s comprehensive system of customer services and in-car telematics, including a Bluetooth cellphone interface (connects vehicle phone features with approved cellphone models) now with a four-year subscription instead of the previous one year
- For 328i/xi models, this Package adds features that are standard on the 335i model:
- Power front seats
- Auto tilt-down feature for the right-hand exterior mirror (mirror tilts down when reverse gear is engaged).
- Sport Package (328i and 335i models). Accents these vehicles‘ inherently sporty handling, esthetics and ergonomics:
- Sport suspension, consisting of firmer springs, shock absorbers and anti-roll (stabilizer) bars as well as a 15-mm (0.6-in.) lowering of the vehicle.
- Specific wheels and tires:
- 328i Sedan And Sports Wagon – 17 x 8.0 front/17 x 8.5 rear wheels with 225/45R-17 front/ 255/40R-17 rear V-rated run-flat performance tires
- 335i Sedan – 18 x 8.0 front/18 x 8.5 rear wheels with 225/40R-18 front/ 255/35R-18 rear W-rated run-flat performance tires
- Sport seats with power-adjustable backrest width*. Depending upon model and equipment choices, other seat adjustments can be manual or power.
- Sport steering wheel, with smaller diameter and thicker rim
- 150-mph top-speed limiter, instead of the standard 130.
- Sport Package (328xi models). The AWD chassis has its specific suspension calibration, the same with and without Sport Package, retains the 130-mph speed limiter, and includes –
- 17 x 8.0 wheels with 225/45R-17 H-rated all-season tires
- Sport seats and steering wheel as in 328i/335i Package.
- Cold Weather Package. For the 328i and 335i models, this Package includes:
- High-intensity headlight cleaning system with retracting jets
- Heated front seats, with expanded heating area
- Split folding rear seats
- Ski bag, for carrying skis and other long objects “indoors.”
- The headlight cleaning system is standard on the AWD 328xi model; split folding rear seats are standard in the 328i/xi Sports Wagons.
- 6-speed STEPTRONIC automatic transmission. Previous generation 3 Series automatic transmissions have been 5-speed units.
- Active Cruise Control*. Employing a radar sensor unit at the front of the vehicle, ACC senses the speed of vehicles traveling ahead, adjusts the BMW driver’s speed to maintain following distance, and offers the driver additional control choices over the standard (and new) Dynamic Cruise Control.
- Active Steering. Acting on the 3 Series‘ legendary rack-and-pinion steering, this system (available on 328i and 335i models) provides impressive benefits:
- • Widely variable steering ratio; steering-wheel movements for parking maneuvers,
- U-turns and sharp corners are greatly reduced for amazing agility. With increasing vehicle speed, the steering ratio increases, favoring stability over agility.
- • Vehicle stabilization; in critical situations, can intervene to preserve stability. For example, if the driver applies the brakes while driving on a surface with uneven traction (one side of the road slick, the other grippy), Active Steering can recognize incipient instability and steer against it.
- Sport wheels and tires. The Sport Package wheel and tire equipment of the 328i models is available as a stand-alone option on 328xi models equipped with Sport Package.
- Park Distance Control employs ultrasonic sensors in the rear bumper to detect obstacles that may not be visible to the driver, and emits an acoustic warning. When combined with the Navigation/iDrive option, PDC includes a vehicle diagram in the iDrive display*, which graphically depicts obstacles’ locations.
- Xenon Adaptive headlights with auto-leveling. Stronger, daylight-like illumination; headlights “steer” to enhance the driver’s view around curves and corners. Standard on 335i, optional on 328i/xi models.
- Comfort Access. User enters vehicle merely by pulling a door handle; mere presence of the remote (say, in the user’s pocket or purse) confirms that entry is authorized. The driver starts the engine by pressing the Start/Stop button. Upon leaving the vehicle, merely pressing a door handle locks the vehicle.
- Leather upholstery is available as a stand-alone option, in addition to being part of the Premium Package. New, more luxurious Dakota* leather.
- Alternate interior trims at no extra cost: in place of the standard dark Burl Walnut*, buyers can choose lighter Poplar Natural* wood or aluminum trim with a brushed effect*.
- Power front seats and memory system. In addition to being part of the Premium Package, available as a stand-alone option for 328i/xi models. The option includes automatic tilt-down of the right exterior mirror for reversing.
- Heated front seats as a stand-alone option (also in Cold Weather Package).
- Split folding rear seats and ski bag as a stand-alone option for Sedans (also in Cold Weather Package).
- BMW On-board Navigation System. (Description in the <<interior>> capther)
Technology and features:
some new to 3 Series; some altogether new
A new BMW model platform always makes exciting new technology and innovative, meaningful features. Compared to its predecessor, the current 3 Series offers abundant new technology and features in these two categories:
- Engines with Valvetronic variable valve lift
- 6-speed manual and automatic transmissions
- Double-pivot front suspension with more extensive aluminum components in rear-wheel drive models
- Run-flat tires throughout the Series
- Exterior ground lighting
- Multi-function remote control with ID sender instead of conventional key
- Start/Stop button
- Galvanic interior trim
- Automatic climate control with:
- Separate left/right temperature settings and Heat-at-Rest feature
- Temperature and air flow-controlled air outlets for rear passengers
- Climate-controlled console storage compartment
- Subwoofers included in standard audio system; located under front seats
- Front and rear Head Protection System
- Automatic tensioners and force limiters on rear outboard safety belts
- Condition-Based Service scheduling
- Active Steering with Servotronic vehicle-speed-sensitive power assist
- 18-in. wheels and tires included in 335i Sport Package
- Xenon Adaptive headlights (previously Xenon but not Adaptive)
- Power-fold exterior mirrors
- Digital compass in interior rearview mirror
- Sports seats with adjustable backrest width
- iDrive, Voice Command and Real Time Traffic Information included with optional Navigation System
- Sirius Satellite Radio as factory option
- Heated front seats with expanded heating area
- Power rear-window sunshade and manual rear side-window sunshades
Making their first appearance in a BMW
- Magnesium/aluminum composite engine construction
- Electric coolant pump
- Volume-controlled oil pump
- 5-link rear suspension
- Dynamic Stability Control with expanded functions
- Dynamic Cruise Control (can apply brakes lightly to control speed)
- Automatic safety belt tensioners and force limiters at outboard rear seating positions as standard equipment (already standard on front seats)
- Decoupling of foot pedals in severe frontal crash
BMW Ultimate ServiceTM:
Providing owners with incredible value and peace of mind
For Model year 2007, BMW announces BMW Ultimate ServiceTM, a suite of services that includes the BMW Maintenance Program (formerly called Full Maintenance), Roadside Assistance, the New Vehicle Limited Warranty and BMW AssistTM with Teleservice.
BMW Ultimate ServiceTM includes:
The BMW Maintenance Program is the only no-cost maintenance program in the industry that covers wear and tear items like brake pads and rotors for 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. BMW owners pay nothing for all scheduled inspections, oil changes, brake pads, wiper blade inserts and other wear-and-tear items.
BMW Roadside Assistance is one of the industry’s most comprehensive plans available. Not only is it no-charge for the first 4 years, but there is no mileage limit. BMW drivers enjoy the assurance of on-the-road help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, anywhere in the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico. This includes everything from flat tire changes, emergency gasoline and lock-out assistance, to towing, alternative transportation and even trip-interruption benefits. This service also includes valuable trip routing advice.
BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty: All 2007 BMW passenger vehicles are covered by BMW’s excellent Limited Warranty, which includes:
- New-vehicle warranty – 4-year/50,000-mile coverage of the vehicle.
- Rust-perforation warranty – 12-year/unlimited-mileage coverage.
BMW AssistTM provides the driver with services that enhance on-the-road security and convenience, for added peace of mind. BMW AssistTM is available as a stand-alone option and is included in the Premium Package. Starting with MY 2007 vehicles, BMW i
s the only manufacturer that will offer this service for 4 years. Most other services only cover 1 year of service.
The in-vehicle equipment for BMW Assist includes GPS technology and SOS/Assist functions in the front overhead console. Vehicle occupants may request emergency or other services simply by pressing a button; the BMW Assist system then transmits the location and vehicle information to the BMW Assist Response Center. A response specialist will then speak with the occupants to coordinate dispatch, notify emergency contacts on file, and link BMW Roadside Assistance or emergency services as needed and requested. Deployment of an airbag automatically activates BMW Assist as well.
A four-year subscription to the BMW Assist Safety Plan is included with the option. In addition to the safety-related benefits, subscribers to the BMW Assist Convenience Plan (available at extra cost) can call a toll-free 800 number to avail themselves of many BMW Assist Concierge services, from travel planning to dining reservations, shopping assistance and event tickets, as well as directions, and traffic and weather information. As before, included with BMW AssistTM is Bluetooth hands-free phone connectivity which includes hands-free access to your phonebook.
TeleService automatically notifies the BMW center when a vehicle needs service. This feature allows the Service Advisor to proactively set up a customer appointment and have the needed parts ready. TeleService is Included with the BMW Assist Safety Plan.
The benchmark sports sedans set a new benchmark
Few cars have inspired as much competition as this family of perennial pacesetters," raved Car and Driver in its January ’05 10Best awards, "and fewer still resisted so successfully. What’s the 3 Series’ secret? Smooth, 6-cylinder power, exemplary ergonomics, silky-smooth shifting supple ride quality, eager responses, superb seats and proportions that never look out of date."
While all these attributes play an important part of defining the success of the BMW 3 Series its iconic status over the years is mostly derived from how it drives. Though many of BMW’s competitors have tried, and are still trying to, no one else quite knows how to match this winning
combination which is the quintessential driver’s car.