BMW revealed today the official details on the M3 GTS. The car features a orange exterior color with numerous matte black applications.
The car is fitted with a 7-speed M dual clutch transmission with adapted shift characteristics. But an absolute highlight is to be found under the bonnet. Exclusively for the BMW M3 GTS, the engine builders of BMW M - recent winners of the Engine of the Year Award once again - have developed a power unit based on the M high-performance engine of the current BMW M3: with a capacity of 4.4 liters and an output of some 450 bhp, it will catapult the light BMW M3 GTS into a whole new sphere. The sprint from 0 to 60 mph will be made in 4,4 seconds, and top speed will go up to 189 mph.
The M3 GTS sits on 19-inch wheels with ample 225/35 tires at the front and 285/30 at the rear. The car only weighs 1490 kilos thanks to the use of lightweight parts in the interior, the use of Macrolon for the car’s windows in the back, and the lack of air conditioning, navigation and radio. Of course the missing rear seat also helps get the scales down.
UPDATE 07/13/2010: BMW has just unveiled five new videos of the M3 GTS and if you like the purring sounds of a car as it burns rubber then we suggest you click here, take a seat, and enjoy the ride!
Updated 12/06/2010: We have just added more than 50 high res images to our picture gallery. Enjoy!
Press release and teaser video after the jump, as well as full specifications.
BMW M GmbH now offers a truly outstanding performer based on the BMW M3 Coupé also ideal for Clubsport events – exactly the right car for the truly discerning customer demanding the very utmost in terms of power and performance. The BMW M3 GTS is largely hand-built by the most skilled craftsmen at BMW M GmbH as a perfectly harmonised package of outstanding modifications, with production exclusively to the customer’s personal order. Focused on motorsport, the modifications comprise both the drivetrain, the suspension and the body of the car, as well as its interior. Market launch of the
BMW M3 GTS will be in spring 2010.
Offering this truly exclusive model for the genuine motorsport enthusiast, BMW M GmbH is continuing a great tradition introduced on former generations of the BMW M3. Once again, the outstanding sports potential of the BMW M3 is being consistently enhanced and upgraded to an even higher level, the customer benefiting from the Company’s wide range of know-how in the development and production of racing cars. Through its race-oriented modifications enhancing both performance and safety, the BMW M3 GTS is ready to go in Clubsport events on the track and comes with the option for homologation on the road. So that the driver is able to make his way to the race track in the very same car he will use for racing.
Consistent lightweight technology.
Consistent lightweight construction, adjustable aerodynamic units, an increase in engine size and output on the V8 high-speed power unit and suspension technology meeting all the requirements of motorsport – all this gives the BMW M3 GTS a top position among high-performance cars built for Clubsport racing. Unladen weight according to the DIN standard is less than 1,500 kg (3,300 lb), the lightweight body comes with special mounts for six-point seat belts and a rollcage fitted behind the B-pillar.
Through its design and construction, the materials used and its special equipment, the BMW M3 GTS is a lightweight performer all the way, offering a genuine motorsport driving experience in every respect. In addition to the carbon fibre roof already featured as standard on the BMW M3 , weight is consistently optimised by features such as silencers made of titanium, the extra-light centre console and door linings, the omission of rear seats, automatic air conditioning and an audio system, as well as sound insulation tailored specifically to this very special model.
V8 high-speed power unit: derived from motorsport, optimised for motorsport.
The eight-cylinder power unit of the BMW M3 GTS enlarged in size to 4.4 litres and boosted in output to some 450 hp boasts construction principles and technical details carried over directly from motorsport. A supreme surge of ongoing power throughout a wide range of engine speed characterises the outstanding performance of the V8 with its high-speed concept. The features typical of a motorsport engine include the crankcase made of a special aluminium-silicon alloy and constructed in bedplate design, individual throttle butterflies, anti-knock sensors with ion flow technology, and, wet sump oil supply optimised for supreme driving dynamics.
Seven-speed M DKG Drivelogic with race-bred gearshift.
Power is transmitted in the BMW M3 GTS by the M double-clutch gearbox with Drivelogic also available as an option on the regular production model. This seven-speed M DKG Drivelogic gearbox follows a principle also developed for motorsport, shifting gears without the slightest interruption of engine power. The transmission was developed specifically for a particularly powerful high-speed engine and offers ideal qualities for truly dynamic acceleration at all times. The gearshift characteristics on the seven-speed M DKG Drivelogic have been tailored specifically to the modified power unit of the BMW M3 GTS and the driver is able to shift gears both through the selector lever on the centre console and through special M shift paddles on the steering wheel.
High-performance suspension with purpose-built brakes.
To convey the supreme power of the engine to the road in equally supreme style even under the most extreme conditions, the BMW M3 GTS comes with suspension technology likewise derived from the highest realms of motorsport. While the suspension is based on the front and rear axle of the BMW M3 Coupé, the rear axle subframe is bolted firmly in position and the suspension features adjustment threads on the dampers for individual variation of the inbound and rebound strokes.
The high-performance brake system of the BMW M3 GTS features fixed callipers with six pistons up front and four pistons on the rear wheels. The race-oriented set-up of DSC Dynamic Stability Control naturally considers the supreme dynamic potential of the BMW M3 GTS. Different-sized tyres front and rear running on 19-inch M light-alloy Competition rims in double-spoke design ensure optimum transmission of acceleration and brake forces to the road.
Aerodynamics: optimised components with variable geometry.
To optimise the flow of air and adjust the car’s downforce as required, the BMW M3 GTS comes with a race-oriented front air dam and rear wing. This allows appropriate adjustment of the car’s aerodynamic qualities in motorsport and for other purposes, tailored to the specific profile of the respective track. The air guidance units on the front air dam, for example, may be varied in their geometry, just like the position of the rear wing based on the wing already featured on the BMW 320si raced in the WTCC World Touring Car Championship.
Exterior features such as the BMW kidney grille and the gills at the side finished in chrome on the regular BMW M3 come in special dark eloxy-plated chrome on the BMW M3 GTS.
Special interior for supreme performance and safety.
The interior of the BMW M3 GTS clearly reflects the focus on supreme performance and safety on the race track. The interior features include classic bucket seats, interior trim in carbon and an M steering wheel finished in alcantara. The door and side panels at the rear also come in alcantara, while six-point seat belts delivered with the car for subsequent use, a fire extinguisher and preparation for an emergency-off switch in motorsport round off the wide range of special features inside the car.
- Number of doors/seats 2 / 2
- Length/Width/Height (unladen) mm 4645 / 1804 / 1387
- Wheelbase mm 2760
- Track front/rear mm 1546 / 1539
- Turning cycle m 11.9
- Tank capacity appr ltr 63
- Cooling system incl. heating ltr 11-4
- Engine oil3) ltr 8.8
- Weight, unladen, to DIN/EU kg 1530 / 1605
- Max load to DIN kg 350
- Max perm weight, overall kg 1880
- Max perm axle load front/rear kg 950 / 980
- Max perm trailer load (12 %)
- braked/unbraked kg – / –
- Perm roof load/trail download kg – / –
- Luggage capacity l 430
- Air resistance cd x A 0.34 x 2.17
- Config/no of cyls/valves V / 8 / 4
- Engine technology High-revving concept with individual throttle valves,
- Bi-Vanos, dynamically optimised oil supply and
- ionic-current knock control
- Capacity cc 4361
- Stroke/bore mm 82.0 / 92.0
- Compression ratio :1 12.0
- Fuel grade at least RON 95
- Max output kW/bhp 331 / 450
- at min–1 8300
- Max torque Nm 440
- at min–1 3750
- Battery/installation Ah/– 70 / luggage comp
- Alternator A/W 180 / 2520
Driving dynamics and safety
- Suspension, front Aluminium double-joint spring-strut suspension with tension rod; small, positive steering scrub radius; traverse force compensation; anti-dive, coilover suspension with dampers independently variable in compression and rebound travel, variable wheel camber
- Suspension, rear Lightweight five-link rear suspension with anti-squat and anti-dive, rigid rear-axle support, coilover suspension with dampers independently variable in compression and rebound travel, variable wheel camber
- Brakes, front Six-piston fixed-calliper compound disc brakes
- Diameter mm 378 x 32, vented and perforated
- Brakes, rear Four-piston fixed-calliper compound disc brakes
- Diameter mm 380 x 28, vented and perforated
- Driving stability systems
- Fitted as standard: DSC incl. ABS and DTC (Dynamic Traction Control), CBC Cornering Brake Control, DBC Dynamic Brake Control, rain brake support,
- fading compensation, hill-start assistant, variable M differential lock, Electronic Damper Control
- Fitted as standard: Airbags for driver and front seat passenger, side airbags for driver and front seat passenger, head airbags, three-point automatic belts with belt stoppers, pretensioners and belt-force limiters, crash sensors,
- tyre defect indicator, firmly bolted roll bar with fastening points for optional roll cage and additionally supplied six-point safety belts for driver and front seat passenger
- Steering Rack-and-pinion hydraulic steering
- with Servotronic function
- Overall steering transmission :1 12.5
- Tyres front/rear 255/35 ZR19 /
- 285/30 ZR19
- Wheels front/rear 9J x 19 LM /
- 10J x 19 LM
Type 7-speed M Dual Clutch Drivelogic transmission
Gear ratios I :1 4.780
II :1 3.056
III :1 2.153
IV :1 1.678
V :1 1.390
VI :1 1.203
VII :1 1.000
R :1 4.454
Final drive :1 3.154
- Power-to-weight ratio kg/kW 4.6
- Output per litre kW/ltr 75.9
- Acceleration 0–100 km/h s 4.4
- 0–1000 m s 22.5
- Top speed km/h 305
- Fuel con in the EU cycle
- Urban ltr/100km 18.4
- Extra-urban ltr/100km 9.3
- Composite ltr/100km 12.7
- CO2 g/km 295
- Emission classification EU5