- Horsepower @ RPM:
- Torque @ RPM:
- 1.5 L
- 0-60 time:
- 8 sec. (Est.)
- Top Speed:
- 124 mph
The BMW Concept Active Tourer doesn’t look any part of a concept, at least not compared to what we’ve been accustomed to when that word is attached to a model name.
But we’re not holding against the Bavarian automaker because if for nothing else, it has a track record of building some pretty sick concepts, like the Vision EfficientDynamics ) in the past.
But the Concept Active Tourer doesn’t look like one and we’re confident that it will hit production sooner rather than later. That being said, BMW is treating it as such and it’s even taken to introducing a separate concept variant called the Concept Active Tourer Outdoor.
Everything about the Concept Active Tourer Outdoor is ostensibly similar to the Concept Active Tourer , albeit one aimed at those looking to get their outdoor fixes. It also uses the same 1.5-liter three-cylinder plug-in hybrid powerplant found in the original Concept Active Tourer.
The dynamic dimensions are all there, sporting the balance of luxury and sportiness that’s definitely fit for the outdoors. It also has that sporty look you rarely see in crossovers, a testament to what kind of production model the concept is going to be.
This model does boast of a Gold Race Orange paint finish, which in it of itself is fancy enough to warrant a separate concept model.
The interior was also treated some up-standard upholstery, including MoonWhite and MoonRock Grey leather, materials that should stand up well when in contact with outdoor equipment. Finally, an interior bike rack was also added, capable of carrying up to bicycles at a given go.
Click past the jump to read about the BMW Concept Active Tourer
BMW Concept Active Tourer
Everything about the Concept Active Tourer in our eyes gets a thumbs up. Whether it’s the stylish exterior and interior or its sophisticated powertrain, there’s plenty to like about this concept that it makes us wonder why BMW didn’t just send it to production.
The powertrain, in particular, resounds significantly to us, particularly the 1.5-liter three-cylinder engine that features High Precision Injection, and BMW’s Valvetronic variable-valve-timing system, producing a total output of 190 horsepower and estimated torque numbers 280 pound-feet. The model is capable of hitting 100 km/h (62 mph) in a little under 8 seconds with a top speed of about 124 mph to go with a ridiculous 94 mpg fuel efficiency rating.
gallery: BMW Concept Active Tourer
The BMW Concept Active Tourer Outdoor will take to the stage at the OutDoor Friedrichshafen fair, treating the premium compact segment to another view of how interior space can be cleverly utilised for sport and leisure purposes. This concept car presents solutions that take a fresh route to combining sporting aesthetics and style with sustainable drive technology, compact dimensions and functionality. The environmentally friendly plug-in hybrid drive system, bringing together a combustion engine and an electric motor to provide a very special form of power delivery, ensures efficiency of the highest order.
- Compact dimensions, sporty design with generous levels of interior space. Variable rear compartment designed to accommodate sports and leisure equipment.
- Transversely mounted 1.5-litre petrol engine with front-wheel drive. New plug-in hybrid (PHEV) drive concept combines the benefits of an electric motor and the attributes of a traditional combustion engine to outstanding effect.
- Exclusive Gold Race Orange exterior paintwork accentuates the sporting appearance of the BMW Concept Active Tourer Outdoor.
- Easy-care, hard-wearing interior materials, such as MoonWhite and MoonRock Grey leather, stand up well to contact with outdoor equipment.
- A carrier system for two bicycles (integrated into the interior) and other clever details make the BMW Concept Active Tourer Outdoor the ideal companion for active recreational sports enthusiasts.