RIDES, a premier urban automotive enthusiast magazine, has transformed a Buick Lucerne CXS into an authentic “VIP” (pronounced vipp) vehicle, with the goal of making it the utmost status symbol in luxury, performance, style and refinement. VIP is a Japanese-influenced tuner trend involving full-body sedans, and it has quickly sped into American car culture.
“We at RIDES pride ourselves on doing innovative builds with cars that aren’t always the most obvious,” said Ben Harris of RIDES Magazine. “We felt the Lucerne was the perfect candidate for customization because it has plenty of styling in its stock form, with enough open room to put our own spin on it.”
RIDES’ vision was to enhance the car’s natural attributes, emphasizing the Lucerne’s luxury styling cues and sleek look, and tune it for an urban audience. Modifications on the Lucerne VIP include a black-on-black color scheme, custom body kit; lowered suspension; large wheels and tires; mobile entertainment system; interior featuring custom suede inserts with executive-style touches; and a lowered overall stance.
The Buick Lucerne VIP will be featured in the RIDES Magazine SEMA booth before going on a star-studded tour through 2007.
- Vehicle lowered to 3.75 inches with rebuilt front and rear springs
- Redesigned and rebuilt front and rear bumpers with side skirts
- New flat spoiler that runs from the rear quarter tops to the trunk lid
- Lower matched radius panel fills gap between the bumper top and the trunk lid
- AME AX wheels, 20 x 9-inch (front) and 20 x 10-inch (rear)
- Falken FK452 tires
- Mobile video and iPod video plays through the factory navigation system display
- Critical Mass C652 component speakers mounted behind custom metal mesh grilles in the factory speaker locations, the door behind the grill and the tweeters in the A-pillars
- Existing wood grain dash plastics painted Standox single stage black
- Custom iPod mount/charger docking station built into panel below armrest, finished in black suede flocking
- New switch panel in place of ashtray that operates rear-seat entertainment, a second dual-position switch to operate the vehicle’s red lighting accents and a volume control knob for the auxiliary input
- Icon DVD player installed in custom rear center console trim plate, wrapped in matching interior vinyl
- All-charcoal interior, including charcoal UltraSuede headliner treatment, door detail and seat trim
- Two seven-inch Icon widescreen LCD monitors in each rear-seat headrest
- Custom rear deck wrapped in UltraSuede with perforated metal mesh grille that exposes custom fiberglass subwoofer box mounted in the trunk area
- Three Rockford Fosgate P3 10-inch subwoofers powered by Rockford Fosgate Power 10001, with a Rockford 80004 running the front interior speakers
- Bluetooth-controlled Rockford 360.2 Hi-Lo converter integrates audio from the OE radio/navigation radio