Initially announced in 2007, the Buick Enclave soon became the industry’s best-selling three-row luxury crossover. Now, for the 2013 model year, the Enclave has been updated with new styling, new safety technologies, in-vehicle connectivity, and a more refined driving experience. The new model will go on sale in Fall 2012.
The new Enclave will be immediately recognized as a Buick due to its sculpted styling design language brought out five years ago, but this design language has been updated with the addition of a more prominent grille, LED headlights and LED daytime running lights, a new hood, a modified rear bumper, and restyled 19- and 20-inch alloy wheels. The interior has been updated with higher quality materials, chrome insertions, and a new center stack.
Under the hood, Buick has placed a 3.6 liter V-6 engine with an output of 288 HP and an updated six-speed automatic transmission that contribute to a more refined driving experience.
UPDATE 04/03/2012: This review has been updated with the official images and specs for the 2013 Buick Enclave.
UPDATE 04/06/2012: Today we have added a series of new images from the car’s official debut in New York. Check the picture gallery to see them.
Hit the jump for more information on the 2013 Buick Enclave.
For the 2013 model year, the Enclave has received a more prominent grille, blue translucent rings around the Xenon HID headlamps, LED daytime running lights, and a new hood. At the rear, Buick has added a modified rear bumper, while the exhaust outlets are framed with a chrome finish.
The 2013 Enclave will be offered with 18" wheels as standard and 19- and 20-inch wheels are available as options.
Full list of exterior updates:
- New front fascia with LED daytime running lamps
- New headlamp design, with standard Xenon high-intensity discharge lamps (HID) and LED accent lighting. Articulating headlamps are available
- New hood and black-chrome waterfall grille
- New rear fascia design with integrated exhaust outlets
- New LED taillamps
- New 19-inch and 20-inch aluminum wheel designs
- Monochromatic exterior appearance with chrome accents.
The biggest changes made to the interior are the new center stack with the new IntelliLink system and the controls on the genuine Mahogany-accented steering wheel. Customers will also receive new controls for the tri-zone climate system, higher quality materials, chrome insertions, and wood trims.
- New ice blue LED ambient lighting around the dash highlights Enclave’s flowing lines, emphasizing the cabin’s spaciousness
- Eight-way power front driver and passenger seats with four-way adjustable head restraints emphasize seat comfort
- Details including soft touch materials and live stitching throughout the cabin
- True chrome accents
- Four interior color combinations are available with complementing wood tones, including a new Cocoa leather combination
- A new “center stack” with standard IntelliLink LCD display, tri-zone climate system, capacitive touch controls, and available navigation system.
- High-resolution color display with touch-screen control
- Bluetooth with hands-free (for phone calls) and A2DP audio-streaming protocol support
- Address book download and hands-free calling
- USB port
- Auxiliary audio input port
- Redundant steering wheel controls
- Enhanced voice recognition powered by Nuance
- AM/FM/Audio CD/MP3 CD/ HD Radio
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio and data services
- Selected Smartphone apps can be controlled through the IntelliLink interface via the touch-screen, steering wheel controls or voice commands. The first apps to be supported are Pandora and Stitcher
- Supports playback of MP3 files stored on flash memory drives
The list of safety systems includes elements like StabiliTrak, traction control, panic brake assist, rear-vision camera system, and seven total air bags. For the first time, the Enclave is being offered with side blind zone alert and rear cross traffic alert.
The new Buick Enclave is powered by a 3.6 liter V6 engine that delivers a total of 288 HP and a peak torque of 270 lb-ft. The engine is mated to an updated Hydra-Matic six-speed automatic transmission that helps deliver a fuel economy of 24 mpg on the highway (FWD models).
|Type:||3.6L V-6 VVT DI|
|Displacement (cu in / cc):||217 / 3564|
|Bore & stroke (in / mm):||3.7 x 3.37 / 94 x 85.6|
|Block material:||cast aluminum with cast-in bore liners|
|Cylinder head material:||cast aluminum|
|Valvetrain:||dual overhead camshafts, four valves per cylinder, continuously variable valve timing|
|Fuel delivery:||direct injection|
|Horsepower (hp / kW) @ rpm:||288 / 215 @ 6300|
|Torque (lb-ft / Nm) @ rpm:||270 / 366 @ 3400|
|Recommended fuel:||regular unleaded|
|Max. engine rpm (fuel cutoff):||6700|
|EPA fuel economy (city / hwy):||17 / 24 (FWD); 16 / 22 (AWD)|
The new Enclave will go on sale in Fall 2012. Prices will be announced at a later date.
The list of key competitors for the Enclave is quite long and includes models like the Acura MDX , the Volvo XC90 , and the Audi Q7 - all of which have impressive levels of luxury. The MDX is powered by a 3.7-liter V-6 engine that delivers a total output of 300 hp and 270 lb-ft of torque - a bit better than the Enclave. The XC90 is preparing to enter a completely new generation for the 2014 model year, so we will have to see if all of its updates will make it better than the competition. The Q7, on the other hand, is the German definition of luxury SUV, so the question is: does the new Enclave has all it takes to dethrone it?
- Improved appearance
- New technology features
- Improved interior
- Just one engine
- Less powerful than competition