After teasing the SUV for quite some time, Buick has finally dropped the cover off the all new Buick Encore - General Motors’ response to the Audi Q3 and the BMW X1 . The Buick Encore will begin arriving at U.S. Buick dealerships in the first quarter of 2013.
The 2013 Buick Encore will offer contemporary styling, signature QuietTuning technology, and a host of features and amenities customers have come to expect from Buick. It will join the current Buick line-up with models like the Verano compact luxury sedan and the Regal GS sport sedan, both combined with the fuel-efficient eAssist "light electrification" technology.
The new 2013 Encore is powered by a new Ecotec 1.4L turbocharged four-cylinder engine that delivers a total of 140 HP and a peak torque of 148 lb.-ft. The engine is mated to a standard Hydra-Matic 6T40 six-speed automatic transmission.
UPDATE 01/19/2012: Buick has unveiled the first promotional video for the new Encore crossover. Enjoy!
UPDATE 04/06/2012: The 2013 Encore has also been presented at the New York Auto Show. Check the picture gallery to see a new set of live images.
Hit the jump for more details on the 2013 Buick Encore.
The 2013 Buick Encore features the same sculpted and elegant styling used for all other Buick models. The front of the small SUV gets a a waterfall grille, chrome accents and surrounds, portholes on the hood, and painted lower panels, similar to the Enclave . The model will be offered with standard blue-accented projector-beam headlamps and detailed taillamps and 18" five-spoke painted aluminum.
"The Encore brings Buick’s timeless, sculptural design to the crossover segment in a way that blends elegance, efficiency and utility," said David Lyon, executive director of design. "There’s confidence in its athletic stance and elemental beauty in its rich details."
- Wheelbase (in / mm): 100.6 / 2555
- Overall length (in / mm): 168.5 / 4278
- Overall width (in / mm): 69.9 / 1774
- Overall height (in / mm): 64.8 / 1646
- Track (in / mm): front: 60.6 / 1540; rear: 60.6 / 1540
- Curb weight (lb / kg): FWD: 3190 / 1447; AWD: 3309 / 1501
- Minimum ground clearance (in. / mm): 6.2 / 158
- 18 x 7-inch painted aluminum (std.)
- 18 x 7-inch chromed aluminum (opt.)
The interior of the Buick Encore combines ice blue ambient lighting with bright trim and wood-grain trim. The seats are trimmed in either a contemporary cloth/leatherette motif or available leather, and the steering wheels is wrapped in premium leather and holds the audio controls. Buick is also offering a prominent central instrument panel with a large, full-color, seven-inch LCD display for the IntelliLink voice-activated radio system.
The biggest feature of the interior is Buick’s latest QuietTuning technology that refines the vehicle following a three-point strategy of reducing sounds at their source, blocking sounds from entering the cabin, and absorbing any remaining sounds.
Standard QuietTuning features include:
- Acoustically treated headliner with a tuned gap between it and the high-strength-steel roof panel
- Sound-absorbing materials used in the cabin, under the hood and in the wheel house liners
- HydraMatic 6T40 six-speed transmission with neutral gear disengagement
- Quiet-tuned 18-inch Continental tires
- Aero-optimized outside mirrors
- Ultra-quiet engine alternator
- Acoustic-laminated windshield and thicker 5mm side window glass
- Foam baffle insulation at the opening of body structure cavities.
The 2013 Buick Encore is powered by a new power-dense Ecotec 1.4L turbocharged four-cylinder engine that delivers a total of 140 HP and 148 lb.-ft. of torque between 1,850 rpm and 4,900 rpm. The engine is mated to a Hydra-Matic 6T40 six-speed automatic transmission that offers a "steep" first gear and a "tall" overdrive top gear to achieve a wide ratio spread of 6.14:1.
The new Encore is built on a global small-crossover platform and features a MacPherson strut front suspension used with coil springs, a large stabilizer bar, and side-load-compensated front strut modules. The rear suspension incorporates a compound crank (torsion beam) design, with a double-wall, tubular V-shape beam profile with gas-charged twin-tube shocks.
- A high-efficiency alternator
- Regulated voltage control
- Electronically controlled returnless fuel system
- Deceleration fuel cut-off.
- Standard StabiliTrak electronic stability control
- Four-wheel disc brakes with ABS and electronic brake force distribution
- Cornering brake control and brake assist
- Available all-wheel-drive system that seamlessly shifts power to the rear wheels when required for better traction and handling
- Available forward collision alert and lane departure warning
- Available front and rear park assist
- Available rear vision camera.
- Driver and front passenger frontal air bags
- Driver and front passenger knee air bags
- Front and rear thorax air bags (all outboard positions)
- Side curtain air bags for front and rear outboard passengers
The 2013 Buick Encore will go on sale in the first quarter of 2013. Prices will be announced at a later date.
As Buick itself confirms, the new Encore was built as a competitor for models like the BMW X1 and the Audi Q3, undoubtedly making it the cheaper of the three. The BMW X1 will be offered with a choice of four engines - one gasoline and three diesels - and will be available in rear-wheel drive and xDrive all-wheel drive configurations. The Audi Q3 will be offered with one TDI and two TFSI units, with power ranging from 140 HP to 211 HP.
|Model||Rear Seat in Place||Rear Seat Folded|
|Buick Encore||18.8 cu. ft. / 533 liters||48.4 cu. ft. / 1,372 liters|
|BMW X1||16.9 cu. ft. / 480 liters||47.4 cu. ft. / 1,350 liters|
|Audi Q3||16.2 cu. ft. / 460 liters||48.2 cu. ft. / 1,365 liters|
- Impressive technology
- More interior room than competitors
- Great look
- Only one engine