The Cadillac CTS-V’s history started back in 2008 and hit a monstrous peak when it became the first production four-door on street tires to break the legendary eight-minute barrier at Germany’s famed Nurburgring. In four years, the CTS-V sedan has managed to steal many customers from its German competitors due to its stylish look and exceptional performance. The 2013 model year will continue the success laid out in the previous model years with only minor additions to increase function.
For 2013, the CTS-V will continue being powered by the 6.2 liter supercharged V8 engine that delivers a total of 556 HP and a peak torque of 551 lb.-ft. of torque - the most powerful engine in Cadillac’s history. The engine is mated to either a Tremec TR6060 six-speed manual with a dual-disc clutch or a Hydra-Matic 6L90 six-speed automatic with steering wheel-mounted shift controls. The only changes will be the addition of two-piece front brake rotors and red Brembo brake calipers.
These performance adjustments will also come with a new exterior color - Glacier Blue Metallic - as well as a few exterior changes such as a larger grille to enable more air intake and a raised hood that encompasses the supercharged engine beneath it.
Hit the jump to read more about the 2013 Cadillac CTS-V.
For the 2013 model year, the Cadillac CTS-V will continue to be offered with the same aggressive exterior language, but it will get a larger grille to enable more air intake and a raised hood that encompasses the supercharged engine beneath it. The CTS-V will also be distinguished by its special front and rear fascias and standard 19-inch wheels, as well as a rear spoiler that houses the center high-mounted stop lamp.
Additional Exterior Features:
- High-intensity discharge headlamps with Adaptive Forward Lighting System are standard
- Fog lamps are standard
- Heated and power-adjustable outside mirrors are standard
- Rainsense automatic windshield wipers are standard
- Nineteen-inch painted aluminum wheels are standard
- Nineteen-inch high-polished aluminum wheels are optional
- Nineteen-inch aluminum wheels with satin graphite finish are optional
- Exterior colors: Radiant Silver Metallic, Black Raven, Black Diamond Tricoat, Crystal Red Tintcoat, White Diamond Tricoat, Thunder Gray ChromaFlair, Opulent Blue Metallic and Glacier Blue Metallic.
The CTS-V comes standard with performance seats featuring perforated sueded microfiber inserts, but Recaro performance driving seats can be ordered as an option. The car also gets a sporty steering wheel and a gauge package designed for easy, at-a-glance reference during performance driving.
The center stack, console, steering wheel, and door panels are offered in a standard Obsidian Black accents and are combined with Alcantara on the production steering wheel and shifter.
- Audio system with navigation, including AM/FM stereo, CD/DVD player, MP3 playback, Bose Surround Sound with 10 speakers, 40-gig hard drive and USB with audio connectivity, is standard
- Bluetooth phone connectivity is standard
- Keyless entry and keyless start features are standard
- Ambient lighting package is standard
- Ultrasonic rear park assist is standard
- Rearview camera system is standard
- Adaptive remote vehicle start is standard
- Heated front bucket seats with power eight-way driver and passenger adjustment, articulating head restraints and driver memory feature are standard on all trim levels
- Recaro performance seats are optional and include heated/cooled feature and leather trim with microfiber suede inserts
- Leather-trimmed steering wheel with auxiliary controls is standard and includes paddle-shift controls when the vehicle is equipped with the automatic transmission
- Steering wheel with microfiber-trimmed rim is available and is packaged with microfiber-trimmed shift knob and Recaro performance seats
- Power sunroof is available
- Interior color and trim choices include: Ebony seats with Ebony microfiber suede inserts and Light Titanium seats with Light Titanium microfiber suede inserts.
The Cadillac CTS-V will continue its powerful path with its 6.2 liter supercharged V-8 engine that delivers a total of 556 HP and 551 lb.-ft. of torque. The engine can be combined with either a Tremec TR6060 six-speed manual with a dual-disc clutch or a Hydra-Matic 6L90 six-speed automatic with steering wheel-mounted shift controls.
The engine features an inter-cooled Eaton Twin Vortices Series supercharger, which employs twin four-lobe rotors that are twisted 160 degrees. Typical superchargers feature three lobes twisted 60 degrees. The fourth lobe and greater helix profile, when combined with unique air inlet and outlet ports, create smoother, more efficient airflow into the engine. In addition to improved overall efficiency, this supercharger has superior noise and vibration characteristics compared to more ordinary designs.
Suspension and Chassis
The CTS-V continues to be offered with Cadillac’s landmark Magnetic Ride Control, the world’s fastest-reacting suspension technology. This system uses shocks controlled by advanced magneto-rheological technology, rather than mechanical valves, to greatly accelerate response time and precision.
Cadillac is also offering Brembo brakes at all four corners and they feature powerful, six-piston calipers in the front and four-piston calipers in the rear.
Additional Chassis and Suspension Features:
- An independent short/long arm (SLA) front suspension system that features low-mass aluminum for the upper and lower control arms, as well as the knuckles.
- A multi-link rear suspension with a fully isolated subframe
- StabiliTrak electronic chassis control system is integrated with the car’s standard four-channel ABS with the full-function traction control, as well as the hydraulic brake assist and engine control systems
- A limited-slip differential
- A 3.73 axle ratio on manual-transmission models
- A 3.23 axle ratio on automatic-transmission models
- A power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering system.
The standard list of safety features includes:
- Dual-stage driver front air bag
- Segment-first dual depth front passenger air bag
- Driver and front passenger side seat-mounted pelvic/thorax side air bags
- Roof-rail side curtain air bags with rollover protection technology that cover front and rear seating rows
- Front safety belt pretensioners
- Tire pressure monitoring system
- Body structure with strategically placed high-strength steel
- Active head restraints for front seat occupants
- Ultrasonic rear parking assist
- Rearview camera system.
The 2013 Cadillac CTS-V will go on sale later this year. Prices will be announced at a later date.
The list of competitors for the CTS-V includes models that have a stories history in the automotive industry including German models like the BMW M3 and the Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG, as well as Japanese models like the Lexus IS-F which has soared in popularity in the past few years.
The two German models have an amazing reputation that follows them wherever they go, but the CTS-V has won the hearts of many clients because of its price and its impressive list of standard features. This vehicle has allowed Cadillac to come out of the hole it has been digging for itself to attract a much wider market.
Impressive engine output
Cheaper than competition
Old buyer stigma attached to Cadillac