The new 2008 Ford Focus goes on sale this fall with a long list of improvements that make it better than ever, including 35 miles per gallon highway fuel economy and a starting price under $15,000.
The new Focus is redesigned from the inside out, is available as a sedan or new coupe body style, is 30 pounds lighter, 10 percent quieter, has 3 percent more horsepower, more safety features, exceptional driving dynamics and fuel economy better than many smaller vehicles. With a starting price of $14,695, Focus pricing is essentially unchanged from last year – even with the addition of new standard safety features like side-curtain air bags.
The Ford Focus also introduces two new factory-installed technologies: programmable LED-powered ambient lighting and Ford Sync. Sync is a Ford-exclusive technology developed with Microsoft that allows users to control most portable digital music players and Bluetooth-enabled cell phones using voice commands.
“The new Focus is arriving at exactly the right time, with consumer interest in both small cars and technology surging,” said Barry Engle, general manager, Ford Brand Marketing. “With new a new design, great handling, fuel economy in the mid-30s and now Sync, we have something truly unique to offer consumers.”
For the 2008 model year, an all-new Focus coupe complements the sedan model. Three trim series – Focus S, Focus SE and Focus SES – are available for both body styles. Base Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price for the 2008 Focus S coupe starts at $14,695, while the new Focus S sedan begins at $14,995. SE models are an additional $1,000. All prices include a $620 destination and delivery charge. The top-of-the-line Focus SES coupe and sedan, with Sync standard, begin at $16,695 and $16,995, respectively.
All-new features on the 2008 Focus include a standard audio input jack for MP3 players, Ice Blue instrument backlighting, new wheel designs, along with Ford Sync and SIRIUS™ satellite radio. Newly standard features include driver and front passenger seat side impact air bags, side curtain air bags, tire pressure monitoring system and air conditioning.
Standard content on the 2008 Ford Focus includes:
- 2.0-liter Duratec 20 4-cylinder engine (140 hp and 136 lb.-ft torque)
- In states that have adopted California emissions rules, every Focus qualifies as a Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle (PZEV), meaning its tailpipe emissions are cleaner than some hybrids.
- 5-speed manual transmission
- Front-wheel drive
- European-inspired suspension
- Dual-stage driver and passenger air bags
- Driver and front passenger seat side impact air bags and side curtain air bags
- Tire pressure monitoring system
- Audio input jack for MP3 players
- AM/FM stereo with single CD player
- Ice Blue backlighting for instrument cluster and control knobs
- Air conditioning
Available options include:
- 4-speed automatic transmission
- Ford Sync (standard on SES models and available on SE models)
- Ambient interior lighting system
- SIRIUS™ satellite radio
- AM/FM Stereo 6-disc CD/MP3 player with digital clock
- AM/FM Stereo 6-disc CD/MP3 player Audiophile system
- Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) with Traction Control
- Power moonroof
- Fog lamps
- Front row heated leather-trimmed seats
- Speed Control