Car Infographics: How Many Cars Were Recycled Last Year

Posted on by + 0

Recycling is huge nowadays. Everywhere we go there are canisters for our glass and plastic bottles, as well as our old cans. Small contributions like this can make a big difference, but there are other items out there - bigger items - that can be recycled into some pretty cool merchandise. Take cars, for example. An estimated 10 million vehicles are recycled every year, giving them the title of the #1 recycled product in the U.S. 75% of the materials that make up each of those 10 million vehicles is entirely recyclable, which can translate into many different things.

The biggest product recyclable from a vehicle is metal. A car is 8% non-ferrous metal and 69% ferrous metal, totaling 77% of the vehicle. The recycled metal from just one car can make 22,400 matchbox cars. Any one with a child knows just how important those matchbox cars can be to children and that’s just the metal from the car.

Another big recyclable goodie from vehicles is rubber. Rubber only makes up 3% of the recyclable material in a car, but that number is significant when translated into usable terms. 80% of all scrap tires are used to make recycled products and 2.7 million tires can be recycled into 30 million lbs of playground surfaces.

Bottomline: Recycle those old, beat up cars and make some kids happy.

Check out the rest of the infographic to get more helpful information and remember to check back with us for the next installment in our Car Infographics series.

Source: Kars4Kids

*Registration is required to post in this forum

Back to top