Part supercar , part custom, part hot rod, it’s the ultimate ride. Chip Foose’s incredible Foose Coupe that debuted at SEMA 2006 has become a new signature series, limited edition vehicle available through Unique Performance. Only 50 of these will be offered to the public. The open wheeled hot rod-esque car is a piece of rolling art that is as powerful as it is distinctive.
The car blends elements of a ’33 Ford coupe and the legendary ’70 ’Cuda, as well as other classic cars into a design that is pure Foose. Weighing a scant 2,300 pounds and powered by your choice of a 6.4-liter Hemi or 5.4 liter Ford Supercharged engine, the Foose Coupe has a super car weight to horsepower ratio of 3.9 pounds per horsepower. To put that in perspective, most “exotics” have a ratio of somewhere near 6 pounds per horsepower. This light weight comes from a body made of carbon fiber, and not just carbon fiber laid up like fiberglass. The sexy hot rod uses the same carbon fiber that’s baked in an autoclave to make it as strong and light as a Formula One car.
As expected of a Foose project, engineering details are meticulous on every component of Foose Coupe. John Hotchkis helped design the Indy-car-like suspension, with upper and lower A-arms and pushrod- activated coil springs. The Hemi motor is coupled to a ZF five-speed manual transaxle similar to that used in a BMW M1 or De Tomaso Pantera, but flipped around to route power to the rear wheels.
Each Foose Coupe will be manufactured at Metalcrafters,Inc., a California based company that is responsible for some of the most exciting limited edition and concept vehicles in the world. From the shifter knobs, pedals, gauges, everything on, in and inside the Foose Coupe are unique. “The craftsmanship of this Foose car will be simply amazing,” explains Douglas Hasty, President and CEO of Unique Performance. “As seen on the first concept cars, every seam and surface will be perfect.
From the gas-tank welds to the frame and wiring running through the frame rails, each piece of the vehicle will be a work of art. Even the little dots around the edges of the glass, which are usually just dots, will be the same shape as the Foose logo. It is as impressive and well built as any of Chip’s Ridler award-winning rods. Foose Coupe redefines what people will think that hot rods, muscle cars and the high-tech limited-production supercars should be.”
Each vehicle will be signed by Chip, numbered and documented in a forthcoming Foose Registry.
- Stylized and Conceived by Chip Foose
- Metalcrafters, Inc.
- Limited Edition, Mid-Engine, Rear Wheel Drive, 2 Passenger, 2 Door Coupe
- 6.4 L (392 cu.in.) Mopar Hemi V-8, Iron Block, Aluminum Heads
- Bore x Stroke: 4.06 " x 3.78 "
- Compression Ratio: 10.5 : 1
- HP / Torque: 550 HP est. / 520 ft.lb. est.
- 5.4 L DOHC, 32-Valve, 90-Degree V-8, Ford GT Aluminum Heads
- Roots Type Eaton Supercharger and Air-to-Water Intercooler
- Iron Block
- HP / Torque: 500 HP est. / 480 ft.lb. est.
- Individual Hilborn Throttle Bodies with Velocity Stack Air Intakes (8)
- AEM Electronic Fuel Injection
- ZF 5-Speed Manual Transaxle
Body and Chassis:
- Carbon Fiber Monocoque Cabin on Modular Steel Space Frame
- Front: Independent, Unequal Length Control Arms by Hotchkis, Inboard-mounted Koni Coilover Sho ck Absorbers Actuated by Rocker Arms
- Rear: Independent, Unequal Length Control Arms by Hotchkis, Koni Coilover Shock Absorbers
- 6-piston Baer Monoblock Calipers, 14" Cross-drilled and Vented Rotors
- Tilton Series 75 Master Cylinder
- Woodward Rack and Pinion
- Front: 225/40 ZR 18 Pirelli PZero on 20 x8 Foose Polished
- Rear: 315/35 ZR 20 Pirelli PZero on 20 x12 Foose Polished
- Aluminum Wheels
- Weight: 2775 lbs.
- Overall Length: 163.89”
- Overall Width: 91.50“
- Overall Height: 45.39”
- Wheelbase: 120“
- Track: 60.94” (Front), 65.51” (Rear)