With the launch of the C7 Chevrolet Corvette inching closer, the current-gen Corvette is about to become obsolete — in a way — for most enthusiasts. This is all thanks to new upgrades to almost every aspect of the Corvette, making it a potential game changer in its segment.
However, the C6’s upcoming elimination didn’t stop Wisconsin-based Bennett Coachworks from giving the outgoing generation a full overhaul. This overhaul is called the Bennett ZX-1, and if there is one word that we can use to describe this build, it’s "insane.” Even the 638-horsepower ’Vette ZR1 stares in awe when the ZX-1 zips past.
The Corvette donor car is fitted with custom body panels that include new carbon-fiber bumpers, doors, fenders, quarter panels, hood and ground effects. Bennett also deleted of the "tear drop" window and installed its own custom setup. This custom build looks like some mad-scientist mash-up between a Chevrolet C6 Corvette and a Lamborghini Reventon .
Bennett also offers comprehensive interior updates with special leather, Alcantara headliner and pillars, as well as upgraded seats from Sparco, Corbeau or Recaro. However, if the owner so wishes, the C6’s interior can remain stock.
The real fun happens under the C6’s hood, as Bennett upgraded it to stratospheric levels. The latest build is powered by a 6.0-liter LS2 V-8 which now cranks out 860 horsepower and 740 pound-feet of torque. That’s a 460-horse bump from the stock engine. This bump is thanks to an Eaton or Magnuson’s Roots‐style supercharger, water-to-air intercooler, long-tube headers, high-flow cats, X-pipe, Trick heads and some electronic refinements. The base-level ZX-1 tune is includes just the long-tube headers, high-flow cats, X-pipe, supercharger and intercooler, and is good for about 630 horsepower. If you lack the equipment to handle such power, Bennett will gladly leave the performance mods off.
With the enormous power output, the `Vette needs an equally capable braking system. To address this, Bennett installed the Brembo Gran Turismo braking kit, which includes 14-inch front rotors with six-piston caliper and 13.6-inch rear rotors with four-piston calipers. To help you out in the twist, Bennett installed a Pfadt coil-over adjustable suspension along with front and rear sway bars.
With a production run of just 200 cars, the Bennett ZX-1 won’t be a car commonly seen, so snag one up while you still can.
Click past the jump to read Bennett’s press release
Gallery Chevrolet Corvette
A truly astounding transformation of an American icon has occurred and is now available to any C6 Corvette owner. . .
The Bennett ZX1
Prototyped, developed, production tooled & sold exclusively by Bennett Coachworks LLC.
This conversion is produced and installed by the renowned Bob Bennett and his team at Bennett Coachworks LLC, known for their award winning Concours d’Elegance restorations, unmistakable hot
rods and customs, Industry establishing COBRA Replicas and “built to win” race cars. A racing veteran himself, Bob is particularly proud of the total performance aspect of this new creation. Designed for both high performance functionality and stunning visual excitement, the ZX‐1 is constructed to the most exacting standards in every respect.
Built on your C6 donor, the base transformation includes; The body, prepared in fiberglass or carbon fiber by Prototype Composites, chosen for their work with Honda Performance Development, in their new state of the art 20,000 sq. ft. factory. They are an FAA certified, full 5S Lean manufacturing facility that specializes in the vacuum infusion process. Proprietary LED lighting – rear taillights, front and rear side markers with front signal strips All necessary electrical work is included Show quality paint in your OEM Color using PPG Urethane paints Drive line and basic interior design coming from your original car However, if you seek to further enhance the experience and heighten the individuality, there is more…much more.
Stage Two: Performance and Appearance Options
Enhance the driving experience and further personalize what is truly a singular variation on a theme Short‐Throw Shifter Engineered to increase shift precision and substantially shorten the 6‐speed shift. Flawless, firm shifts coupled with highly durable components will provide smooth transmission performance.
- 33% Shift Throw Reduction
- Spherical Pivot Bearing
- Fully Isolated Upper Stick
HRE custom Alloy 18”/19” Wheel Package
You will need some W I D E wheels and BIG tires to fit our new widened body design. Among our favorites are the HRE wheels with Nitto Performance Tires Other selections available, to choice. Custom Paint Option Your vehicle can be custom painted in any color you desire. Our expert painters will work with you to select the perfect color for your new vehicle.
Custom Interior Package
Our expert leather craftsmen will create an interior as inviting and exciting as the exterior. Using only the finest selection of Italian leather and Alcantara suede, every detail will be transformed into a work of art.
Options Available, include:
- Customer selected leather colors, Alcantara suede and matching, complimentary or contrasting stitching.
- Custom D‐shaped steering wheel, Shifter handle/knob and emergency boot, all leather wrapped to match interior trim colors.
- Custom Bennett Floor mats with saddle leather heel pad.
- Billet Aluminum Bennett Designs Sill plates.
- Full upper dash, pillars and rear head liner in Alcantara Suede.
- Transmission tunnel walls and interior doors wrapped with ZX‐1 style diamond deluxe pattern.
- Stock C6 seats wrapped in matching leather with choice of stitching color. Race Bucket Seat Option
Corbeau, Sparco, Recaro race seats are offered and can be custom leather wrapped and stitched by our expert leather craftsmen to match your interior.
- Full Belly Pan & Custom Rear Air
- Custom Exhaust Tips
- High Performance K&N Air Intake
- Carbon Fiber Injector Rail Covers
- And more . . .
For the true performance enthusiast, we have prepared a select group of enhancements chosen specifically to respond to the design and development of this vehicle. A car that looks this incredible should move as good as it looks. 600+ BHP V8 supercharged C6 engine (2005‐2007)
- Utilizing Eaton/Magnuson’s Roots‐style Supercharger with increased boost
- Liquid to Air Intercooler, integral to intake manifold base
- Procharger’s Centrifugal‐style supercharger may be swapped for the Magnuson installation if desired
- 2008+ model corvettes will generate +630BHP/510 lb‐ft with the Supercharger setup
Pfadt Coil Over Adjustable Suspension & Front/Rear Adjustable Premium Sway Bars
One of the key advantages of our coil over kit is the flexibility with setting ride height. The shock bodies are fully threaded and thread into (or out of) the lower mounting cup giving you the ability to adjust the overall shock length by about 3 inches. It’s no problem to maintain stock ride height or slam it nice and low. The important thing about changing ride height by using our threaded body is that you don’t have to sacrifice shock travel to lower the car. Compared to the stock C6 Z06 leaf springs, our coil over spring assemblies are approximately 50% stiffer. Pfadt brand components are strong, lightweight and tested for dependability and durability. Our mounting cups are custom designed brushed aluminum for functionality and elite appearance. Pfadt coil springs are engineered, built, and tested not to take a set.
Brembo Brake ZX-1 Package
- Brembo Monobloc k Billet Calipers
- Two 6 Piston Calipers, with 14” cross drilled/vented front rotors
- Two 4 Piston Calipers, with 13.6” cross drilled/vented rear rotors
- These are the throw you through the windshield, haul you down from space, Brakes
Long Tube Headers w/Cats & X Pipe
This high performance exhaust will take your ZX‐1 to a whole new level. Constructed by hand, utilizing CNC cut exact‐fit flanges, 1‐7/8” tubes and 3” collectors. Named “Smooth Flow” as result of their construction having no sharp bends and very few welds, these headers are manufactured by the same folks that worked with GM to produce and supply the headers for the LS‐1 engines in the ASA racing series. You will surely enjoy the added performance and aggressive sound from an already exhilarating ZX‐1 exhaust system. Includes Random Tech Hi‐Speed Cats and XPipe.
Premium Quality Carbon Fiber Race Panels are available for any stage
- Carbon Fiber body panels replace more than 80% of the exterior body
- Approximate 40% Body weight reduction
- Far superior strength to OEM
- Available as Clear Coat Directional Raw Weave finish
- 1 year/12,000 mile warranty on any alterations related to the ZX‐1 basic conversion.
- Authenticity documentation and interior build plaque for all cars
- All OEM heater options, air bags and power controls remain intact
- All transformations completed in less than one driving season
- GM RPO Z51 Performance Package recommended if Bennett Suspension and Brake options are not selected.