- 5.3 liter V8
- 4-Speed Automatic
- Horsepower @ RPM:
- Torque @ RPM:
- 5328 L
- 0-60 time:
- 5.6 sec.
- Top Speed:
- 145 mph
The aggressively styled 2006 Chevy Monte Carlo heats up the sizzling mid-car segment with enhanced premium-quality features, racing-inspired styling, a new family of powerful engines, as well as thoughtful attention to detail. A new look for the front and rear fascias - including bold headlamps and taillamps - is complemented by revised suspension systems that deliver comfortable, quiet and more confident ride and handling characteristics. These new ingredients improve on an already popular recipe for driving satisfaction.
Chevrolet Monte Carlo draws on a rich NASCAR stock car racing legacy – the most successful nameplate in the sport’s history – to offer one of the industry’s only true midsize personal coupes. The vehicle has remained true to the roots of style and performance established at its introduction in 1970.
“For ’06, Monte Carlo delivers more of the performance and style demanded by customers, but with an increased emphasis on comfort, roominess and driving manners,” said Brent Dewar, General Motors North America vice president of marketing and advertising . “We fine-tuned the details to deliver a value-driven vehicle that delivers unexpected refinement.”
A new family of premium-feature V-6 engines is available in LS, LT and LTZ models, including a 211-horsepower (157 kw) 3500 3.5L V-6 and an available 3900 3.9L V-6 that uses variable valve timing and variable intake technology to help deliver 242 horsepower (180 kw) and 242 lb.-ft. (328 Nm) of torque.* The muscular Monte Carlo SS has a new 5.3L small-block V-8 that’s good for 303 horsepower (226 kw) and 323 lb.-ft. (438 Nm) of torque. The 5.3L V-8 uses Displacement on Demand technology to regulate between eight-cylinder and four-cylinder operation, providing up to 8 percent improved fuel economy in certain driving conditions.
All engines are matched to the Hydra-Matic 4T65-E four-speed automatic transmission. This smooth shifting transmission is renowned for its durability and strength with high-torque engines. The version mated with the 5.3L V-8 is enhanced to match the engine’s increased torque output.
Highlights for the 2006 Monte Carlo include:
- All-new family of 3.5L and 3.9L V-6 engines in LS, LT and LTZ models
- Standard 5.3L small-block V-8 with Displacement on Demand technology in SS model
- Hydra-Matic 4T65-E four-speed automatic transmission mated to all engines; enhanced version used with 5.3L V-8
- Modified exterior styling with bold headlamps and taillamps
- Retuned suspensions with wider front track
- New family of 16-, 17- and 18-inch wheels and tires
- Enhanced ABS and traction control
- Revised interior with high-quality attention to detail, including improved seat upholstery stitching, low-gloss IP components and jewel-like IP details
- High-quality Nuance Sandstone leather seating (available)
- New family of audio systems
- Standard dual-stage frontal air bags
- Available side seat-mounted air bags for front passengers ( Monte Carlo )
- Factory-installed remote vehicle starter available
- Standard OnStar
Monte Carlo has a revised look, both inside and out. The exterior features large headlamps that have a premium, jeweled appearance with three independent lighting units. These details complement other high-quality attributes to provide an overall feeling of solidity. Also, new, flat-blade windshield wipers are used to provide consistent pressure on the glass, which helps eliminate streaking and wind noise. All models receive a sporty rear spoiler.
The Monte Carlo SS has a distinct front-end appearance, with a dual-split grille that has a black-diamond crosshatch pattern. The rear spoiler is unique, too, suggesting the purposefulness of NASCAR spoilers. Corvette-inspired bright exhaust outlets also are standard on the Monte Carlo SS.
Inside, the seats have a cleaner, simpler and more tailored appearance. Uplevel, available Nuance leather-covered seating features premium deck seams around their perimeter and French seams on the center cushions. The seats also have firmer cushions and increased lumbar support that provide more comfort, especially during long drives.
A revised cockpit-style instrument panel with a new instrument layout and control center stack is woven into ’06 models, along with a sportier shifter with chrome accents. The Monte Carlo features premium materials throughout the interior and trunk area, including low-gloss trim and tight tolerances. Tight gaps and flush fitment throughout demonstrate quality and attention to detail.
Comfort and convenience are paramount to coupe buyers and Monte Carlo delivers with:
- Available dual-zone climate control system with up to 12 degrees F temperature setting difference between the two front zones
- Available factory-installed remote vehicle start system with a 197-foot (60-meter) range and automatic climate pre-conditioning to warm or cool the vehicle prior to entry
- Easier-to-read, more informative gauge cluster and driver information center – with more than 50 alerts, depending on the vehicle’s equipment
- Standard easy-to-access, steering wheel-mounted cruise control buttons
- Steering wheel radio controls on uplevel models
- Available leather-trimmed, heated driver and front passenger seats
A new family of audio systems also debuts on the ’06 Monte Carlo . The three systems feature new, simple-to-operate radios that are compatible with the enhanced OnStar system. The base CD-radio includes a six-speaker system. An uplevel MP3/CD-radio is configured for XM Satellite Radio, with a two-line, 32-character reconfigurable display and the capability to select between AM, FM and XM stations without having to reset the frequency. An uplevel ICDX radio adds an in-dash six-CD changer. Monte Carlo also offers a premium Bose audio system.
All radios include a standard auxiliary input for external devices, such as an iPod or MP3 player, to be played through the vehicle’s audio system. The input is located in the lower right corner of each radio.
Chassis and suspension
A more robust front-end structure provides a firmer foundation to help reduce noise vibration and harshness (NVH). It also provides improved steering and handling performance. Fully boxed upper frame rail assemblies have a wider, deeper and structurally stronger upper front tie bar, with slight machining differences between V-6 and V-8 models to provide room for the 5.3L small-block V-8 engine. Stronger ties between the upper and lower rails stiffen the front structure for improved ride and handling and a large, lower front-of-dash panel has been strengthened. It is constructed from Quiet Steel laminated steel, which consists of sound deadening material bonded between sheets of steel and reduces resonant sound from a “clanging” to a muted “thud.”
A stiffer, extruded aluminum engine cradle is used, too, and contributes to a smoother ride with less vibration. The cradle’s lateral stiffness (at the steering joint) is increased with a new, one-piece machined rear cross member and new aluminum, load-bearing rear body mounts, which improve handling control. Models equipped with a V-6 engine have a two-point engine-mounting system, while V-8 models have a three-point mounting system.
A power rack-and-pinion steering system is standard on all models, with the base LS model now sharing the same, responsive 13.3:1 steering ratio of uplevel models. All models also receive a quieter, improved performance power steering pump and fluid reservoirs. The new system optimizes internal flow of the hydraulic steering fluid within both the pump and the reservoirs.
At the front suspension, a MacPherson strut coil-over-spring independent front suspension with gas-charged four-valve struts and a stabilizer bar are used. Taller jounce bumpers in the front suspension help enhance stability and control. The rear suspension uses a trailing arm, tri-link setup with gas-charged, four-valve struts and coil springs. A rear stabilizer bar is standard on all models. From these basic suspension designs, three separate suspension settings are available, each tuned to match the power and expected performance level of its respective model:
FE2 (16-inch wheels): Standard on the base LS with the 3.5L V-6. It provides improved control over previous base models without compromising ride quality. Stiff, constant-rate front springs and variable-rate rear springs are used to provide higher roll rates. Up front, a stiffer torque strut design reduces NVH and helps provide a smoother, quieter ride. The package includes 16-inch wheels and P225/60R16 ALS (all-season) Goodyear Integrity radials, specifically developed to provide a quieter ride and increased fuel economy. A 10-mm (0.4-inch) wider track also is achieved, as the 16-inch wheels each are moved 5 mm outboard.
FE2 (17-inch wheels): The FE2 suspension also is available with 17-inch wheels and tires for better high-speed control. This combination is standard with vehicles equipped with the 3.9L V-6. The 3.9L engine also receives more powertrain damping to help optimize ride quietness, smoothness and handling. P225/55R17 AL2 (touring) Goodyear Eagle LS2 radials are partnered with the 17-inch aluminum wheels, providing greater handling capability and more stability during tighter turns.
FE4 (SS model): Monte Carlo SS comes with the FE4 suspension, which is tuned to provide a sporty ride that complements the 5.3L small-block V-8’s performance. It offers increased stiffness and ride control, with reduced body lean and greater high-speed stability. The 34-mm hollow front stabilizer bar and 18-mm solid rear stabilizer bar are larger in diameter than the bars of the two FE2 suspension settings, providing increased roll control. Eighteen-inch alloy wheels with W-rated P235/50R18 AL3 Goodyear Eagle RS-A performance tires are included with the FE4 suspension.
Safety and crash avoidance
The Monte Carlo has standard dual-stage frontal air bags and offers new optional side-impact (seat-mounted) air bags, which help optimize head and torso protection for the driver and front passenger. The list of other standard and available safety features includes:
- Use of high-strength steel in the engine compartment, torque box and rocker panels reinforces the structure to protect against front and side impacts
- An improved four-wheel-disc brake system with all-new front brakes, improved rear brakes and increased brake boost. The system provides more stopping power and reduced stopping distances, compared to previous models, as well as smoother and quieter performance, longer pad life, and more resistance to brake pulsation.
- A new ABS system is standard on all trim levels except the base model. ABS helps provide improved steering control while preventing wheel lock-up during braking. It also includes Electronic brake force distribution, which helps provide optimum braking regardless of load, traction or braking speed.
- An available engine- and brake-managed full-function traction control system works with the ABS system to help ensure stable acceleration on a variety of road conditions.
- Pretensioners are standard on the front safety belts, which help minimize forward movement during a frontal collision and new, more effective load-limiting retractors. The retractors have more “take-up” force, cinching the belt more tightly.
- Three-point safety belts for all seating positions.
- LATCH (Lower Anchors & Tethers for CHildren) child seat attachment system is included in all second row seating positions.
- Revised head protection from impacts to the upper interior structure is provided by energy-absorbing material placed strategically along the roof rails behind the A-, B- and C-pillars.
- Strengthened front seat structure.
- Headlamps that provide more down-the-road visibility than previous models, with higher-intensity bulbs and a new four-bulb burn configuration in which the low beams stay on when the high beam is activated.
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System is standard on models equipped with 17- and 18-inch wheels.
- An upgraded standard remote keyless entry (RKE) system now provides a second function for the red panic button. Drivers can use the button to locate their cars, without sounding the panic alarm.
OnStar-equipped Monte Carlo models feature OnStar dual-mode (analog-digital) equipment. OnStar’s digital equipment also includes enhanced hands-free voice recognition capabilities including more intuitive continuous digit dialing and improved voice recognition accuracy. OnStar is the leading provider of in-vehicle safety, security and information services in the United States and Canada . Using the GPS satellite network and wireless technology, OnStar features core safety services and OnStar Hands-Free Calling that allows drivers to make and receive voice-activated phone calls using an externally mounted antenna for greater reception.
The OnStar service standard on the 2006 Monte Carlo includes the General Motors Advanced Automatic Crash Notification (AACN) system, making crash data available to the participating 911 centers to help them dispatch the appropriate live-saving personnel and equipment to crash scenes faster.