After receiving important comfort, safety and drive enhancements in 2006, the 2007 Aveo5 gets even better. To the versatility, roominess and five-star safety record that have made Aveo5 a popular choice in the U.S. , Chevy adds an even more confident, quiet and dynamic driving experience - as well as generous features that are rare in this segment.
The 2007 Aveo5 lineup includes the well-equipped LS model and the value-driven Special Value Model (SVM). These models join the all-new Aveo LS and LT sedan models for one of the broadest subcompact lineups in the industry. (Please see separate release for Aveo sedan information.)
For 2007, more options for Aveo5 allow customers to strike the right balance between affordability and premium creature comforts.
The Aveo5 Special Value Model is surprisingly well-equipped, with standard features that include a five-speed manual transmission; 1.6L, 16-valve E-TEC II DOHC that delivers 103 horsepower (77kW) and 107 lb.-ft. (148 Nm) of torque, dual-stage frontal driver and front passenger air bags with GM’s Passenger Sensing System; seat mounted side-impact air bags; vented front disc and rear drum brakes; and front MacPherson strut suspension and rear semi-independent torsion beam suspension.
Other Aveo5 Special Value Model standard features include:
- Power rack-and-pinion steering
- Intermittent windshield wipers, and rear wiper with washer
- Daytime Running Lamps (DRLs)
- 14-inch steel wheels and all-season blackwall tires
- Body-color outside rearview mirrors and door handles
- AM/FM stereo radio
- D river’s seat with fold-down armrest, manual height adjuster and manual lumbar adjuster
- Tilt steering
- Tilting head restraints
- Rear window defogger
- 60/40 flip-and-fold rear seats with height-adjustable head restraints for outboard passengers
- Sunglass and ticket holders
Aveo5 Special Value Model options include:
- Engine block heater for easier starts in cold climates
- Equipment for dealer-installed air conditioning
The uplevel Aveo5 LS includes standard features on the Special Value Model, as well as standard air conditioning with cabin filtration system. Aveo5 LS available features include:
- Four-speed Aisin automatic transmission with Hold Control Mode that gives the driver the ability to manually shift gears
- Four-wheel anti-lock brakes
- 15-inch aluminum wheels and all-season blackwall tires
- Rear spoiler
- Fog lamps
- Cruise control with remote keyless entry package that includes content theft-deterrent system and power locks
- Premium power sunroof with sliding shade and tilt position
- Power windows with passenger lockout
- Auxiliary radio input jack for iPods or other devices
- AM/FM stereo with CD/MP3 player
- Six-speaker premium sound system (if above stereo is ordered)
Crisp, modern exterior design
Aveo5 was conceived for maximum versatility and practicality. It provides a well-designed choice that is enjoyable to drive and own. For 2007, a new Aveo5 exterior badge has been added to underscore the convenience of easy access for both front and rear passengers, and the versatility of a hatchback configuration with ample cargo space that can reach all the way to the front of the cabin.
The Aveo5’s signature “tall car” design boasts smooth lines and short front and rear overhangs that give it a bold personality. Distinctive cues, such as the division’s signature brand bar and gold bowtie, capture its Chevrolet identity.
Dual, folding outside body color mirrors lend a streamlined, upscale look and are standard.
Options on the LS model such as a rear spoiler, fog lamps, 15-inch aluminum wheels and a premium power sunroof with sliding shade and tilt position allow owners to maximize the Aveo5’s personality.
The Aveo5’s design is an achievement in highly efficient packaging. With ample interior space, the Aveo5 is capable of accommodating passengers more than 6 feet tall in each of the five seating positions, offering a level of comfort and convenience unexpected in this segment.
Aveo5’s high roof and theater-type raised seating offer good visibility and a commanding view of the road. Ninety-one cubic feet of passenger space offer ample space for all to enjoy the ride.
Inside, a new center folding armrest mounted to the driver’s seat and manual lumbar adjustment for the driver’s seat have been added to provide additional comfort. A redesigned shifter and PRNDL on automatic transmission-equipped models also is new for ’07.
A satisfying driving experience comes from a strong vehicle body that is well insulated. Extensive sound insulation helps minimize wind, road and engine noise inside the cabin. Even the exhaust system is tuned to reduce noise.
Additional conveniences include dual visor vanity mirrors, a sunglass holder on the driver-side headliner, door and front passenger seatback storage pockets; and clever hooks, located on headrest posts, that can hold items such as backpacks or shopping bags.
The highly versatile Aveo5 offers a standard 60/40 split folding rear bench seat that folds flat and flips forward, for an impressive 42 cubic feet (1,190 L) of cargo space. From surfboards to skis, the Aveo5 can be configured to haul the toys and necessities of its active owners.
A fun driving experience
The 2007 Aveo5 was engineered and validated for a broad range of driving and road conditions, but was tuned to provide a more European-like feel. It was developed for a dynamic, well-planted driving experience.
New for 2007, chassis systems on the Aveo5 reflect further enhancements of features developed for the 2006 models, which were enhanced significantly compared to earlier versions of the car.
The suspension system begins with a MacPherson strut front suspension with coil springs and stabilizer bar and an independent torsion beam axle mount compound link-type rear suspension with gas-charged shocks.
Power-assisted, variable-rate rack-and-pinion steering is standard. The steering gear is mounted on the front suspension cross member for precise action and stability.
Standard on the Aveo5 are power-assisted front disc and rear drum brakes; a four-channel ABS system is available on LS models. The four-sensor – one at each wheel – system incorporates electronic brake force distribution, which balances braking performance based on factors including road conditions and the weight of passengers and/or cargo.
For 2007, the focus is on delivering more refined, precise ride and handling characteristics for more confident high-speed road command and agile, responsive control, especially in more demanding driving situations such as rapid lane changes at highway speeds.
Ride-and-handling features on the 2007 Aveo5 include:
- A solid stance (97.6 inches / 2479 mm wheelbase with a front tread of 57.1 inches [1450 mm] and rear tread of 55.5 inches [1410 mm]), delivers a smooth, confident, stable ride. This footprint makes the car very surefooted, imparting a sense of confidence and stability among driver and passengers.
- A 17-mm front stabilizer bar combined with higher rate front springs and more highly damped front shocks minimize the amount of vehicle roll and increase the roll damping to provide more precise control for the driver. New suspension bushings also contribute to the precise handling control. This fully retuned suspension package provides a distinctively European-style performance and feel.
- Valve tuning in the rack and pinion hydraulic-assist steering system is consistent with the suspension tuning to provide more precise control.
Powering Aveo5 is GM’s proven, sophisticated 16-valve DOHC four-cylinder engine that produces 103 horsepower (77 kW)* and 107 lb.-ft. of torque (148 Nm)*. The engine is enhanced by an electronic throttle control, added for the 2006 model year, and variable geometry induction system, which help maximize power across the rpm range. Electronic throttle control enhances driveability and fuel economy, while reducing emissions.
The engine’s variable geometry induction system is designed with a longer runner length at slower speeds to increase low-end torque up to 10 percent. The system includes a bypass valve that is activated in high rpm or heavy throttle applications. Features include:
- A roller type cam follower to minimize valve friction and noise and enhance fuel economy
- A plastic engine upper cover for noise dampening / quieter operation
- A single serpentine accessory belt drive system with automatic tensioner
- An engine cooling fan system with 366-mm diameter fan
A smooth-shifting, five-speed manual transmission is standard. The available Aisin four-speed automatic transmission features adaptive shift technology. The segment-exclusive Hold Control Mode special feature helps reduce wheel spin and traction loss on slick roads by allowing the driver to select and hold a higher gear, which reduces torque to the wheels. It enables sportier driving operation by allowing the driver to control shift points similar to manual transmission operation.
Whether the manual or automatic transmission is selected, the Aveo5 powertrain is fuel-efficient. Estimated EPA fuel economy is 27 mpg city/35 mpg highway for the manual-equipped Aveo5 and 26 mpg city/34 mpg highway for the automatic-equipped Aveo5.** Aveo5 meets the ULEV II emissions standard which, along with its outstanding fuel economy, makes it one of the cleanest, most economical vehicles available in North America.
Safe and secure
The Aveo5 experience is enhanced by a comprehensive system of safety and security technologies designed to meet safety standards in markets around the globe. For the 2006 model, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) awarded Aveo5 a five-star rating in the frontal crash test for both the driver and front passenger.
Aveo’s safety starts with a high-strength steel structure that creates a safety cage around the passenger compartment. The structure has been engineered to help maintain passenger compartment integrity and features tailor-welded blanks, a feature not typically found on vehicles in the segment.
The 2007 Aveo5 includes standard advanced dual-stage frontal air bags and the GM Passenger Sensing System. The dual-stage frontal air bags deploy at different levels, depending on the severity of the crash. Standard seat-mounted side-impact air bags provide additional head and thorax protection.
Additional Aveo5 safety and security features include:
- Front safety belt pretensioners with front-load limiters
- Height-adjustable shoulder belt anchors
- Lower Anchors and Top Tether for Children (LATCH) child seat attachment system in the rear seats
- Rear child safety door locks
- Driver knee bolsters
- Emergency hatch release inside the trunk
- Fuel door lock with remote release feature
- Available engine immobilizer theft-deterrent system
Aveo and Chevrolet’s global expansion
In 2005, 68,085 Aveos were sold in the United States , signaling that there is an opportunity for growth in the small but important subcompact segment.
The Aveo lineup attracts the highest rate of first-time buyers of any GM vehicle, providing a great opportunity to earn these customers’ long-term loyalty. Like the small, premium-car Cobalt family and the HHR small crossover vehicle, Aveo also generates a high number of conquest sales.
The Aveo is making inroads around the world, and will be sold in more than 120 countries under several nameplates (primarily under the Chevrolet brand). It is the top-selling car produced by GM Daewoo in Korea (GMDAT). About half of vehicles produced by GMDAT are Chevrolet models. The number is steadily rising as the expertise and quality record of GM’s Korean subsidiary and Chevy’s tradition of “more than expected” value increasingly resonate around the globe.