The 2014 Camaro RS really knocked my socks off. Its arrival was perfectly timed with some incredible track videos of the brand-new Z-28, and we hit it off right away.
Let’s address the elephant in the room. This is a V-6 engine ponycar - three words that over the years have become synonymous with soft, underpowered and uninspiring editions of the Mustang and even the previous F-body cars.
The 2014 Camaro V-6 is hard from its $24,555 base pricing: with a creamy six-speed, 5.8-seconds to 60, and a limited-slip diff out back (unless you get the 6-cog auto).
Over the week we spent having a ball driving this potent and rear-drive machine, the improvements versus any previous Camaro V-6 are significant. With all the highest-tech equipment now in reach of the V-6 buyers, there simply is no ’wimpy’ version of this car.
Even with lots of work to do back at the office, every lunch run was a lot more fun in the 2014 Chevrolet RS.
Click past the jump for the full TopSpeed Driven review for all the details.
In all, the 2014 Camaro RS looks outstanding.
The new hood shape is subtle, but includes a broad swath of chrome at its leading edge that is quite unique and special.
Startup Driving Video
2014 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe - Profile Styling Detail
The RS package is a must for the best bi-xenon lighting and style outside.
This $1,650 package brings a host of true performance mods, including up to 21-inch alloy wheels, an active exhaust, heads-up displays… the list goes on.
2014 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe - Tail Styling Detail
The revised LED lights in back are very well executed, with LED indicators as well as running lights, brake lights, and side markers.
LED Headlight Detail
RS Package ($1,650)
- 20-inch painted aluminum wheels in Midnight Silver, measuring 20-inch x 8-inch in front and 20-inch x 9-inch in rear
- Body-color Rear spoiler
- High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps, each ringed with an LED halo
- Separate Daytime Running Lamps
- Restyled LED taillamps
- Body-color roof ditch molding
- Body-color shark-fin antenna
LED Taillight Detail
Gallery Chevrolet Camaro RS
The interior feels outstanding, with great seats and a butter-smooth six-speed manual.
The loaded 2LT RS tester even brought along full touchscreen MyLink as standard, plus the $800 navigation option.
2014 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2LT RS - New and Updated Standard Features
- Head-Up Display with NEW color digital readouts for vehicle speed, selected gear, audio system information, high-beam indicator, compass, outside air temperature, turn signals, tachometer, vehicle messages, Turn-by-Turn information and phone information
- Audio system: 7-inch diagonal Color Touch screen display AM/FM stereo (STD), Audio system feature Boston Acoustics premium 9-speaker system, 245 watts, SiriusXM Satellite Radio, Audio system feature, USB port, located in center console
- Chevrolet MyLink includes Bluetooth streaming audio for music and select phones; Hands-Free smartphone integration
- Mirror, inside rearview auto-dimming, frameless
- Seats: heated front leather seating surfaces; Sport bucket includes adjustable head restraints and folding rear seat with trunk pass-through (Includes passenger-side seatback map pocket.)
- Seat adjuster: driver, 6-way power (fore/aft, up/down, tilt) with power recliner, front passenger: 6-way power (fore/aft, up/down, tilt) with power recliner
Performance Feel Analysis
2014 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe - Standard Mechanical Details
- Differential, limited slip (Included and only available with (MN6) 6-speed manual transmission.)
- Rear wheel drive
- Suspension: Sport
- Steering: power, variable ratio
- Brakes: 4-wheel antilock, 4-wheel disc (Single piston front brakes with super corner rear brakes.)
- Exhaust: dual-outlet stainless-steel with bright tips
2LT RS Mechanical Options
- 6-speed automatic transmission ($1,185)
- Engine block heater ($75)
- Body-color painted engine cover (Dealer-installed) ($340)
- Dual-mode performance exhaust ($895)
2014 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe - Mechanical Details
|Engine||3.6-liter 24-valve V-6 With DI, CVVT||3.6-liter 24-valve V-6 With DI, CVVT|
|Transmission||6-Speed Manual||6-Speed Automatic|
|Powertrain Layout||Front-engine, Rear-drive (LSD)||Front-engine, Rear-drive|
|Power (Horsepower)||323 @ 6,800 rpm||323 @ 6,800 rpm|
|Torque (Pound-feet)||278 @ 4,800 rpm||278 @ 4,800 rpm|
|0-60 mph (Seconds)||5.8||6.2|
|Top Speed (MPH)||151, est||130, est|
|EPA Fuel Economy (City/Highway/Combined)||17/28/20||19/30/NA Automatic|
Pricing and Availability
The 2014 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe is available now from $24,550. The RS package is available on all the LS and LT trims, but the 2LT is the best equipped at about $30,000 before the other goodies.
As equipped with the RS package, dual-mode exhaust and navigation, the TopSpeed tester stickers at $34,190.
2014 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe - Pricing
2014 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe - Standard Safety Features
- Daytime Running Lamps within low beam headlamp
- Air bags, dual-stage frontal, and thorax side-impact, driver and front passenger, and head curtain side-impact, front and rear outboard seating positions includes Passenger Sensing System
- OnStar, 6 months of Directions and Connections plan includes Automatic Crash Response, Stolen Vehicle Assistance, Roadside Assistance and Turn-by-Turn Navigation
- Rear Park Assist, Ultrasonic
- Rearview Vision Camera display integrated into Color Touch Radio
- Safety belts, 3-point, all seating positions
- Safety belt pretensioners driver and front passenger
- LATCH system (Lower Anchors and Top tethers for CHildren) for child safety seats
- Trunk emergency release handle
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- StabiliTrak, stability control system with traction control
In Closing, the Camaro RS Is Awesome
Active exhaust sounds amazing and is closely in-tune with throttle inputs
Handling and key inputs life manual shifter, wheel, seats are all completely transformed for 2014
Tech inside looks great, and works really well.
MyLink is a dream with the optional navigation, or without
Dual-Mode exhaust is a must-have, but optional, feature
The RS brings desirable lighting upgrades up front and in back
2LT trim is really swanky inside versus base 1LS Camaro Coupes, but all are far better than ever before