- six-speed automatic
- Horsepower @ RPM:
- 320 @ 5400
- Torque @ RPM:
- 335 @ 4000
- 5.3 L
- 0-60 time:
- 12.4 sec.
- Top Speed:
- 120 mph
Chevrolet launched the Tahoe back in 1992 as the badge-engineered replacement for the full-size Blazer. Since its release, it has carried the Blazer’s tradition of being one of the most successful models in the full-sized SUV segment.
It’s easy to understand why the Tahoe draws so much interest: it accommodates up to nine people, offers a powerful engine and it has tons of options to choose from. Over the years, more and more competitors have hit the market, giving the Tahoe plenty of competition to fend off, like the Ford Expedition and Toyota Sequoia . The question is: can it handle it?
Buyer can order the 2014 Tahoe in a trio of trim levels — LS, LT and LTZ — and in two system configurations: rear-wheel drive or all-wheel drive. With this many options, there is a one Tahoe for every taste.
One big issue with the Tahoe is that its design is very, very, VERY long in the tooth and looks dated inside and out when compared to the competition. That comes as no surprise, given its last redesign was in 2007. There were plenty of rumors of a redesigned 2014 model, but that was put on hold and now all signs are pointing toward that redesign coming in the 2015 model year. Fortunately for Chevy, the entire full-size, body-on-frame SUV realm is behind the styling eight ball.
Click past the jump to read more about the 2014 Chevrolet Tahoe.
Just like with any other Chevrolet model, the 2014 Tahoe features a large, gold bowtie centered on a twin-port horizontal grille with an argent-texture surround. The SUV’s distinctive appearance continues with aggressively styled fog lamps and headlamps that help give it some extra style that this bulky SUV needs so badly.
For the 2014 model year, customers can choose between the following exterior colors: Crystal Red Tintcoat, White Diamond Tricoat, Black, Silver Ice Metallic, Olympic White, Black Granite Metallic, Mocha Steel Metallic, Champagne Silver Metallic and Concord Metallic. There is also an optional Z71 Off Road appearance package that adds large, color-keyed wheel flares, an aggressive front fascia and satin chrome tubular assist steps, and bright chrome front grille insert.
|Height, Overall||76.9 in|
|Length, Overall w/rear bumper||202 in|
|Width, Max w/o mirrors||79 in|
|Ground Clearance, Front||10.5 in|
|Ground Clearance, Rear||9 in|
Chevrolet Tahoe LS Exterior Features:
- Daytime Running Lamps
- Outside heated power-adjustable, manual-folding mirrors
- Luggage rack side rails, roof-mounted, Black
- Luggage rack center rails, roof-mounted, Black
- 17-inch all-season, blackwall tires
- 17-by-7.5-inch aluminum wheels
Chevrolet Tahoe LT Exterior Features:
- All LS features, plus:
- Halogen fog lamps
Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ Exterior Features:
- All LT features, plus:
- Grille insert, bright chrome
- Outside heated power-adjustable, power-folding mirrors with driver-side auto dimming
- 20-inch all-season, blackwall tires
- 20-by-8.5-inch polished aluminum wheels
- 17-inch full-size steel spare wheel
While designing the Tahoe’s cabin, Chevrolet paid great attention to every aspect, so you will find almost no exposed metal hardware or latches. Also, the 2014 Tahoe features the segment’s largest center console storage bin, a large glove box and numerous cup holders and storage compartments.
All Tahoes are offered with three rows of seating, with the third being a three-passenger bench with a 60/40 split or two bucket seats.
|Front Head Room||41.1 in|
|Front Hip Room||64.4 in|
|Front Leg Room||41.3 in|
|Front Shoulder Room||65.3 in|
|Second Head Room||39.2 in|
|Second Hip Room||60.6 in|
|Second Leg Room||39 in|
|Second Shoulder Room||65.3 in|
|Third Head Room||39.7 in|
|Third Hip Room||49.1 in|
|Third Leg Room||25.6 in|
|Third Shoulder Room||61.7 in|
Chevrolet Tahoe LS Interior Features:
- AM/FM stereo with CD/MP3 player
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio with 3 trial months
- Tri-zone air conditioning with manual controls
- Front bucket seats
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Tilt-Wheel, adjustable
- Steering wheel-mounted audio and cruise controls
Chevrolet Tahoe LT Interior Features:
- All LS features, plus:
- Bose premium audio system
Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ Interior Features:
- All LT features, plus:
- Audio system with navigation
- Leather-appointed front bucket seats
All Tahoe models are powered by a 5.3-liter V-8 engine that delivers a total of 320 horsepower and 335 pound-feet of torque. The engine is mated to a standard six-speed automatic transmission and delivers fuel economy of 15 mpg city and 21 mpg highway.
|Standard Engine||Vortec 5.3L V8 SFI FlexFuel engine|
|Transmission||6-speed automatic transmission|
|Horsepower @ RPM||320 @ 5400|
|Torque @ RPM||335 @ 4000|
|Drivetrain||Rear Wheel Drive(2WD )or Four Wheel Drive (4WD)|
Suspension and Brakes
Tahoe is built on GM’s full-size SUV platform and is offered with all the features provided by it: a fully boxed frame, coil-over-shock front suspension, multilink rear suspension with coil springs and rack-and-pinion steering.
Depending on the model, customers can choose between the standard 17-inch wheels or optional 20-inch wheels. The Tahoe comes standard with a four-wheel-disc brake system with ABS.
|Tahoe LS 2WD||$41,600|
|Tahoe LS 4WD||$45,660|
|Tahoe LT 2WD||$46,140|
|Tahoe LT 4WD||$48,990|
|Tahoe LTZ 2WD||$54,755|
|Tahoe LTZ 4WD||$57,860|
We’ve heard rumors about a possible new generation Sequoia for a very long time; however, until that really happens, we’ll have to stick to the current version unveiled back in 2008.
Sequoia is powered by an iForce 5.7-liter V-8 engine that cranks out 581 horsepower at 5,600 rpm and 401 pound-feet of torque at 3,600 rpm, making it considerable more powerful than the Tahoe.
Toyota’s model is also a little bit cheaper than the Tahoe: it comes with a starting price of $40,930.
The current-generation Armada was unveiled in 2004 and the only minor upgrade it received was back in 2008. This full-size Nissan comes with a 5.6-liter V-8 engine that delivers a total of 317 horsepower and 385 pound-feet of torque. The engine is combined with an advanced five-speed automatic transmission, heavy-duty fully boxed ladder frame and comfortable double-wishbone suspension.
As you can see, the Armada is the least powerful of the group, but it is also the cheapest one with a base price of 36,890.
gallery: Nissan Armada
The Tahoe may not be the perfect choice for buyers looking for a large SUV to haul around just the family, but it remains one of the few SUVs on the market to offer great off-road capabilities. This off-road capability combined with passenger hauling is what puts is ahead of its competition.
Room for nine people
Good ride and handling
The third row isn’t very comfortable
You can find more powerful competition out there
gallery: Chevrolet Tahoe
The Chevrolet Tahoe is the best-selling full-size SUV in America, with about 28 percent of the segment – and contributes to a nearly 50-percent market share with the Chevrolet Suburban. It returns for 2014 with the spacious interior, powerful engines and modern technology that has kept it at the industry forefront, while also bringing several new standard features on some models.
With impressive cargo space of up to 108.9 cubic feet (3,084 liters) and a towing capability of up to 8,500 pounds, the Tahoe is the perfect SUV for carrying passengers and belongings.
Tahoe is available in LS, LT and LTZ models, all offered in 2WD or 4WD. Each is built on GM’s full-size SUV platform featuring a fully boxed frame, coil-over-shock front suspension and rack-and-pinion steering. Wide front and rear tracks enhance handling and lower the center of gravity for a more confident road feel.
All models are powered by a 5.3L V-8 that uses variable valve timing and Active Fuel Management to optimize performance and fuel efficiency. Additionally, the fuel-saving Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed transmission is standard on all models and contributes to a 21-mpg EPA highway fuel economy rating, because of the reduced engine speed. That lower engine speed also keeps the interior quieter.
Newly standard features on LS and LT models are included for the 2014 model year through the Convenience Package. It features power adjustable pedals, remote vehicle starter system and rear parking assist. A rearview camera system and a rearview mirror with display are standard on both the LS and the LT.
Tahoe exterior features
Tahoe’s exterior design is pure Chevrolet, with a large gold bowtie centered on a twin-port horizontal grille. A streamlined finish includes a grille surround complete with an argent texture or available chrome finish. Aggressively styled fog lamps and headlamps oversee the rugged appearance of the Tahoe’s lower fascia, with the front license plate holder, integrated recovery hooks and skid plate.
Other exterior features include:
- Power-retractable assist steps are available on LTZ
- Heated power-operated outside mirrors are standard on LTZ and available on LT. Mirror features include auto-dimming, integrated signal indicators, ground lights and a curb-tilt feature
- A power-operated liftgate is available on LT and standard on LTZ
- A range of 17-inch and 20-inch wheels is offered. Seventeen-inch wheels and tires are standard on LS and LT, with 20-inch wheels standard on LTZ
- Dealer-installed accessory wheels include 20- and 22-inch designs
Exterior colors: Crystal Red Tintcoat, White Diamond Tricoat, Black, Silver Ice Metallic, Olympic White, Black Granite Metallic, Mocha Steel Metallic, Champagne Silver Metallic and Concord Metallic (late availability).
The Z71 Off Road appearance package is available on LT models and includes high-pressure, gas-charged monotube shocks, 18-inch aluminum wheels and all-terrain tires, automatic-locking differential, front recovery hooks, a durable skid plate and high-capacity air cleaner. Large, color-keyed wheel flares, an aggressive front fascia and satin chrome tubular assist steps, and bright chrome front grille insert provide the finishing touches to an overall rugged look.
Tahoe interior features
Inside the 2014 Tahoe, the features have been integrated into the cabin with a great attention to detail. There is almost no exposed metal hardware or latches, with all models featuring “close-outs” around the seat bottoms and door sill trim plates. Tahoe also has the segment’s largest center console storage bin, a large glove box and numerous cup holders and storage compartments.
The Tahoe offers three rows of seating, standardon all models. The second row is available as a three-passenger bench with a 60/40 split or two bucket seats. The third row features a 50/50-split design and is removable. A power-assisted second-row seat release feature is available on LT and standard on LTZ. Additional interior features include:
- Leather-appointed seating is standard on LT and LTZ
- Heated and cooled front seats and heated second-row seats are standard on LTZ
- A heated and leather-wrapped steering wheel is standard on LTZ
- Dual-zone automatic climate control on LT and LTZ; dual-zone manual-control air conditioning on LS
- A rear-seat entertainment system is available on LT and LTZ, including DVD player with remote control, overhead display, two sets of wireless infrared headphones, auxiliary audio/video jacks, remote game plug-in and a mute button in overhead console
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio is standard on all models
- Audio system with AM/FM/CD and USB port is standard on LS and LT
- Bose Centerpoint Surround Sound system is standard on LTZ and a Bose nine-speaker sound system is standard on LT. A six-speaker sound system is standard on LS
- Navigation radio with touch-screen operation is standard on LTZ and available on LT
- Bluetooth phone connectivity is standard on all models
- Power-adjustable pedals are standard on all models
- Remote vehicle starter system is standard on all models
- The Convenience Package is standard on LS and LT and includes power-adjustable pedals, remote vehicle starter system, rear park assist, rear vision camera and inside mirror with camera display
- The Luxury Package is available on LT and includes heated second-row seats, power-release second-row seats, power liftgate, universal home remote and outside heated power-adjustable/folding mirrors
- The Sun, Entertainment and Destinations Package is available on LT and LTZ and includes an additional nine months of SiriusXM radio and XM NavTraffic service, power sunroof and rear-seat DVD entertainment system. LT also includes audio system with navigation, AM/FM/SiriusXM radio with CD, and rear vision camera.
A balanced powertrain
All Tahoe models are powered by a 5.3L V-8 that effecitively balances power and efficiency. Variable valve timing helps the 5.3L optimize performance, efficiency and emissions, while GM’s Active Fuel Management cylinder deactivating technology helps improve fuel economy in certain light-load driving conditions. It is also E85-capable.
The variable valve timing system allows linear delivery of torque, with near-peak levels over a broad rpm range, and high specific output (horsepower per liter of displacement). It also helps reduce exhaust emissions. It manages valve overlap at optimum levels, eliminating the need for an Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system.
Active Fuel Management (AFM) technology increases fuel economy approximately 6 percent under the federal government’s required testing procedure, and potentially more in certain real-world driving conditions. AFM temporarily deactivates four of the engine’s cylinders under light load conditions and seamlessly reactivates them when full power is required. The transition takes less than 20 milliseconds and is virtually indiscernible.
The 5.3L engine is backed by GM’s Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed automatic transmission.
Chassis and suspension
Built on GM’s full-size SUV platform, the Tahoe incorporates a fully boxed frame, coil-over-shock front suspension, multilink rear suspension with coil springs and rack-and-pinion steering. Its stiff frame design reduces vibrations transmitted to the passenger cabin, while the strength and accuracy of the fully boxed frame enables precise mounting and tuning of chassis and suspension components.
Other features include:
- Wide front and rear tracks – 68.2 inches front/67 inches rear – enhance handling and vehicle stability for a more confident road feel
- The Autoride suspension system is standard on LTZ and features a segment-exclusive bi-state, real-time damping system that provides a refined ride with greatly reduced body motion. The system consists of a semi-active, two-position damping control system that responds in real time to road and driving conditions, based on body and wheel motion sensors
- Standard four-wheel-disc brake system with ABS featuring smooth, quiet operation, longer pad life and more resistance to brake pulsation
- A single-speed transfer case is standard on LS and LT 4WD models.A two-speed transfer case is standard on LTZ 4WD and available on LS and LT 4WD models
- A trailering package with a 3.42 axle ratio, external transmission cooler and engine oil cooler is available on LS, LT and LTZ models; and a two-speed transfer case on 4WD models
- The standard axle ratio on all models is 3.08
- A locking rear differential is standard on LT and LTZ models and available on LS.
Tahoe safety and crash-avoidance features
Safety is a top priority in the design of the Chevrolet Tahoe. Engineered with a strong body structure, the vehicle absorbs crash energy and provides a protective “safety cage” around occupants. Standard head curtain side air bags provide rollover protection for both seating rows, while seat-mounted side-impact air bags for the driver and right-front passenger, also standard, provide thorax and pelvic protection. The roof-mounted head curtain air bags provide increased rollover protection and occupant containment.
Additional safety features include:
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control system helps reduce the risk of rollover crashes by keeping the vehicle in the driver’s intended path by applying throttle, braking or a combination of both
- Standard Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist that can detect certain stationary objects in the rearward path of the vehicle and send an audible warning sound
- Standard rear view camera system designed to provide the driver with
- a view of people or objects in the rearward path of the vehicle
- Side Blind Zone Alert is standard on LTZ
- Pretensioners minimize forward movement during a collision, and are standard on the front safety belts. Load-limiting retractors cinch the belt more tightly
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) child seat attachment system is included in two of the second-row seating positions
- Tire pressure monitoring system is standard on all models
- Standard remote keyless entry system provides a second function for the red panic button; drivers can use it to locate their cars without sounding the panic alarm.
Six months of OnStar Directions and Connections service comes standard on Tahoe. OnStar is the global leading provider of connected safety, security and mobility solutions and advanced information technology.
OnStar’s RemoteLink Mobile App allows smartphone users to control vehicle functions, access vehicle information and send directions directly to the vehicle. An opt-in service called FamilyLink allows subscribers to stay connected to loved ones by checking the location of their vehicle online or by signing up for vehicle location alerts.