The Ferrari 212 Inter was revealed in 1951 at the Brussels Motor Show as a replacement for the 166 and 195 Inter. The 212 was built between late 1950 and 1953, in Inter and Export model configuration. Ferrari built 82 units of the 212, more than any other Ferrari before. The 212 was offered in three different bode versions: berlinetta, cabriolet and coupe and carried coachwork by Ghia, Ghia Aigle, Pininfarina, Stabilimenti Farina, Touring, Vignale, and even the British firm Abbott.
The difference between the Inter and the Export version was made by the wheelbase: the Export version were built on a 2250 mm wheelbase chassis and they were normally carrying an E or ED suffix to the number, whilst the Inter road models were constructed on a 2600 mm wheelbase chassis in the odd number road car sequence, initially with an EL suffix, and then with an EU suffix.
The 212 Inter were the first models equipped with left-hand drive as standard, as until then the standard steering layout had been right-hand drive, in the racing tradition.