When Alfa Romeo was confiscated by the Fascist government of Benito Mussolini in 1939, Enzo Ferrari moved to Modena where he founded Auto Avio Costruzioni. he was prohibited by contract from racing for four years, so his factory was producing machine tools and aircraft accessories.
In its non-competition period Ferrari produced only one model: the Ferrari Auto Avio Costruzioni 815 (or Tipo 815). The car debuted in 1940 at the "Gran Premio Brescia della Mille Miglia".
The two units built by Ferrari were driven by Alberto Ascari and Lotario Rangoni di Machiavelli, but both of them failed to finish the race. After the first lap the two cars are the twelfth and thirteenth, but first in the 1500cc class. However the first one retired after the second lap and the second one after the seventh lap, both of them due to mechanical failures.
The man responsible for the car was Alberto Massimino. And while AAC 815 was built primarily of Fiat components, the engine has another story. Ferrari took two 508 C 1100cc four-cylinder engines, reduced the bore and stroke, cast a new block and cylinder heads, and joined the two engines together. The result is an inline 1496cc 8-cylinder that powered the Tipo 815. The engine delivers 72 hp at 5500 rpm and was mated to a four-speed manual transmission. With a total weight of 1378 lb the car could hit a top speed of 106 mph.
Only one Auto Avio Costruzioni 815 remained and is currently held in the Righini collection owned by Mario Righini in Italy.