Ferrari unveiled the 195 Inter in 1950 at the Paris motor Show. It was in fact a 166 Inter with a slightly longer wheelbase and a modified engine. Ferrari built only 24 units of the 195 Inter, as in 1951 it has been replaced by the 212 Inter.
For the 195 Inter the wheelbase has been enlarged from 2420 mm to 2500 mm, to increase cabin space. Like in the 166 Inter, the chassis frame was of the same basic tubular steel construction as that of the earlier model and featured independent front suspension via a transverse leaf spring, with a rigid axle and semi-elliptic leaf springs at the rear, and Houdaille lever shock absorbers all round.
There was a concurrent 195 Sport model, which was built in the even chassis number competition car range. An example of the 195 Sport in berlinetta form, driven by Marzotto/Crosara won the 1950 Mille Miglia, ahead of the 195 engine Touring barchetta of Serafini/Salani. The range of body design houses altered to include Motto and the Swiss Ghia Aigle concerns; each produced a single example of their craft on a 195 chassis, whilst Stabilimenti Farina dropped off the list. With this model, the Ghia and Vignale body styles seemed to find greatest favor with clients, considerably outnumbering the other contenders.
Like on the previous model, for the 195 Inter Ferrari used the same V12 engine designed by Giacomo Colombo in 1947 for the 125 S model, but with its capacity enlarged by almost 25% from that in the 166 model to 2431 cc.
This was done by increasing the bore diameter to 65 mm, whilst retaining the 58.8 mm stroke of the 166 engine. As with the 166 Inter, the standard induction wear on the 195 Inter engine was a single twin choke carburettor, but some examples received a triple twin choke carburettor set-up, as with the earlier model.
For the 195 Inter, the V12 engine was delivering 130 hp at 3000 rpm and sprinted the car from 0 to 60 mph in under 10 seconds, on its way to a top speed of 120 mph.
The 195’s production was split between Vignale and Ghia. And while the first one was more luxury-focused, Ghia was more into sports. Seven of the models produced by Ghia were offered in normal Coupe configuration, while the other three were 2+2 Coupe models. This 2+2 models are considered as being the most attractive four seat Ferrari’s built in the ’50s, and not only.