In 1953 at the Paris Salon Ferrari unveiled the 375 America. It was a coupe model designed by Pininfarina, featuring a duo tone paint finish, the shape of which was a refinement of that seen on 212 Inter models. The car was exclusive and expensive, with one unit being designed by Pininfarina for King Leopold of Belgium - a two-seater cabriolet.
The 375 America was built on a 2800mm wheelbase chassis - the longest Ferrari used at that time. The majority were fitted with either a Pinin Farina three or five window coupe body. Three examples had a Vignale coupe bodies, whilst there was also a single Vignale cabriolet, and the very last example produced had a very special, and unusual, Pinin Farina coupe body with a wrap around front screen, vertical radiator grille, and buttresses running from the roofline into the tail panel, which was built specially for Gianni Agnelli, the head of Fiat, and displayed at the 1954 Turin Salon.
The 375 America was powered by a 4522cc "long" block V12 engine with a bore and stroke of 84mm x 68mm, fitted with a bank of three twin choke Weber 40 DCZ or DCF carburettors, twin coil and distributor ignition, to produce a claimed 300bhp. Coupled to a four-speed manual gearbox, the engine sprinted the car from 0 to 60 mph in just 7 seconds, while the top speed went up to 150 mph.
Ferrari built only ten units of the 375 America: seven designed by PininFarina, one by Agnelli Speciale and two by Vignale. On the seventh models created by PininFarina there were variations in bright trim details on the body, like the radiator grille surround being plain, or fitted with chrome plated trim rings of varying widths, and specific detail changes to suit a particular client’s requirements.
Even if the 375 was never built as a race car, it was presented at the 1954 Geneva Rally where it took the second place.