With the Dino 246 GT already a very successful model on the market, Ferrari decided to increase its popularity by introducing a spider version for the model. The Dino 246 GTS made its public debut at the 1972 Geneva Motor Show, and until 1974 when it was discontinued Ferrari produced 4,000 units, with 1200 in targa version.
Apart from the removable roof panel, The GTS version can be identified by the omission of the rear quarter windows, which were replaced by a plain metal sail panel with three rectangular cabin exhaust air slots.
Late in the production run, wider Campagnola wheels of a different design from the standard Cromodora ones, coupled with flared wheel arches, were offered, as were "Daytona" pattern seats, which had a different, more elaborate stitch pattern with thin horizontal bars to the centre, which earned the package the epithet "Chairs and Flares".
Like the coupe version, the spider was built on a 2340mm wheelbase chassis and was powered by a 2418cc V6 engine with a total output of 195 hp. The engine was mated to a five-speed manual gearbox and four-wheel disc brakes.