Ford unveiled today the specifications for the 2008 Fusion with anti-lock brakes and Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) now standard, five new colors and a new Sport Appearance Package.
Ford Fusion is one of the most competitive mid-size car in the USA with a bold, distinctive design and segment-leading quality, safety and affordability. With first-in-class available all-wheel drive (AWD) and a powerful 3.0-liter V-6 engine, it is no wonder that more consumers are choosing the Ford Fusion.
For 2008, Fusion adds a standard anti-lock brake system (ABS) and Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), underscoring Ford’s commitment to delivering more standard safety features across its entire product lineup. Fusion also offers total connectivity with Ford Sync™ (late availability). This Ford-exclusive, hands-free technology enables the integration of cell phones and portable media players into the vehicle’s audio system via Bluetooth technology and USB connectivity.
Other features newly available for 2008 include Reverse Sensing System, keyless entry keypad and ambient lighting (late availability).
Fusion is a car built for comfort and convenience. Available all-wheel drive (AWD) provides responsive handling for enhanced driver confidence while standard Variable Cam Timing aids in performance. Stylish, premium interior materials create a relaxed ride, and newly available ambient lighting lends flair to the interior.
Fusion Dials Up the Style for 2008
Fusion brings style to the often bland mid-size car segment. With its signature chrome three-bar grille, Fusion makes a strong, all-American statement.
Fusion’s interior is inviting and comfortable with high-quality appeal. Convenience features like grocery hooks in the trunk and the fold-down passenger front seat on SE and SEL are small touches with big impact. New ambient lighting (late availability) makes the Fusion even more distinctive.
Fusion’s signature exterior design includes:
- The family face. The signature three-bar grille, also featured on the Ford Edge, Ford Taurus and 2009 Ford Flex crossovers, graces the Fusion’s front fascia.
- An athletic and confident appearance. Sleek lines running along the sides draw the eye back to the high rear deck-lid, creating a bold American look. The athleticism of the design is further pronounced in the available 16-, 17- and 18-inch aluminum wheels.
- Five new exterior colors. White Suede Clearcoat, Moss Green Clearcoat Metallic, Vapor Silver Clearcoat Metallic, Dark Ink Blue Clearcoat Metallic and Light Sage Clearcoat Metallic are now available.
Fusion offers a new Sport Appearance Package for 2008 that includes a black chrome grille, color-keyed fog lamps, 18-inch tires and aluminum wheels with painted pockets, sport-tuned suspension, a unique spoiler, chrome exhaust tips, unique red seat inserts (cloth or leather) and red stitching on the seats, steering wheel and center console.
Highlights of Fusion’s interior include:
- Premium interior materials. Available in three highly styled finishes: carbon graphite, wood or piano black.
- An inviting atmosphere. Fusion’s new ambient lighting option (late availability) and available leather seating surfaces featuring contrast stitching enhance the interior sophistication and comfort.
- A highly flexible interior. Features include a pop-up storage bin located on the instrument panel, clamshell armrest, the largest trunk in its class, fold-down front-passenger seat and one-touch 60/40 spring-assisted fold-flat rear seats.
Innovative Features Keep Customers Connected
Fusion would be at home in any technophile’s garage with the addition of several features. They include:
- Ford Sync, Ford’s industry-exclusive, voice-activated hands-free in-car communications and entertainment system (late availability). This newly available system fully integrates mobile phones and media players into the vehicle using Bluetooth technology and USB connectivity. Devel oped in collaboration with Microsoft, Sync will be offered exclusively on 12 Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles later this year.
- Voice-activated navigation system. Fusion’s available navigation system is voice-activated for more convenient hands-free operation.
- Reverse Sensing System. The system emits a tone that increases in frequency and intensity, monitoring blind spots and allowing drivers increased confidence in rear parking and helping to reduce the risk of injury.
- MP3 audio input jack. For consumers who elect not to adopt the optional Sync system, the Fusion’s audio input jack is standard on all Fusion models, allowing for audio input from any MP3 player.
Fusion with all-wheel drive is proving its mettle among consumers, earning kudos in Ford’s Fusion Challenge advertising for being the most fun to drive and having the best handling, outperforming its competitors.
Fully independent front- and rear-suspension systems give Fusion smooth, confident handling in both front- and all-wheel drive. With the introduction of the 2008 model, ABS becomes standard, providing even more peace of mind for drivers.
The soul of any car is its engine, and Fusion offers a choice of Ford’s 2.3-liter, Duratec 23 inline 4-cylinder or 3.0-liter, Duratec 30 V-6 engine. Both feature aluminum construction, dual-overhead cams, four valves per cylinder, intake variable-cam timing and electronic throttle control to deliver smooth, spirited performance along with good fuel economy and emissions ratings.
The 4-cylinder engine delivers 160-horsepower and can be paired with a 5-speed manual or a 5-speed automatic transmission. When mated to the automatic transmission, the Duratec 23 is rated as a Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle (PZEV) in states adopting California emission standards.
For even more power, there’s the 221-horsepower, 3.0-liter V-6, paired with an advanced 6-speed-automatic transmission. Fusion was the first car in its class to offer such a sophisticated automatic.
Safety and Security
Fusion received the highest ratings in both front and side impact from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) in 2007. It also was named as one of the 2006 Best Sedans for Families by AAA and Parents magazine, based on family road tests and top crash test ratings.
For 2008, Fusion features more standard safety features, with standard ABS and Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) on all models.
Standard safety features include:
- Ford’s Personal Safety System® and air bag protection. Safety features include six air bags (dual-stage driver and front passenger air bags, thorax side air bags for front seat occupants and side-impact air curtains), safety belt pretensioners, seat weight sensing system for the passenger seat and crash severity sensing.
- Ford’s BeltMinder™ safety belt reminder for driver and front passenger. Fusion also comes equipped with such standard features as child safety locks on the rear doors, the LATCH child safety restraint system and Ford’s tire pressure monitoring system.
Major Features and Options
Fusion S includes: 160-hp Duratec 23 I-4 engine with 5-speed-manual transmission; Bright chrome three-bar grille; Quad halogen headlamps; Integrated key fob transmitter; Black power exterior mirrors; 16-inch steel wheels with premium wheel covers and P205/60R 16 tires; Speed-sensitive windshield wipers; Air conditioning; Rear-seat armrest with dual cup holders; Four-speaker AM/FM audio system with MP3-capable, single-disc CD player; Auxiliary audio input jack; Two-tier center console; Dash-top storage compartment; Solar-tinted glass; Front and rear grab handles; Dual 12-volt power points; Four-way manual driver seat; Rear 60/40-split, spring-assisted, fold-down bench seat; Leather-wrapped shift knob; Variable-assist power steering; Tilt and telescopic steering wheel with speed controls; Dual visor vanity mirrors; Power locks; Power windows with one-touch-down driver’s side window; Belt-Minder®; Rear-door child safety locks; Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children (LATCH) system; Emergency trunk release; enhanced side-intrusion protection system; Illuminated entry; ABS; Occupant Classification System; SecuriLock® passive anti-theft system; Personal Safety System®; Front-seat side air bags and side-impact air curtains; and Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS).
Fusion SE adds: 16-inch aluminum wheels; Fog lamps; Body-color, power-operated exterior side mirrors; SE badge; Six-speaker premium AM/FM audio system with in-dash, six-disc, MP3-capable CD player; Six-way power driver seat with manual lumbar adjustment; Fold-down front-passenger seat; Unique center stack appliqué; Front seat-back map pockets; Message center with trip computer; Steering wheel with redundant speed and audio controls; Dual illuminated visor vanity mirrors; Dual exhaust tips (V-6 models); and brake actuated traction control (on V-6 AWD).
Fusion SEL adds: Automatic headlights; Bright belt line molding; Heated exterior mirrors with puddle lamps; Keyless entry pad; SEL badge; 17-inch aluminum wheels with P225/50R 17 performance-rated tires; Electronic automatic climate control; Upgraded cloth interior; Analog clock; Compass; Electrochromic rearview mirror; Unique appliqués for instrument panel and center stack; Leather-wrapped steering wheel with redundant speed and audio controls.
Options include: All-wheel drive; 5-speed automatic transmission for Duratec 23 I-4 models; Audiophile eight-speaker sound system; SIRIUS® Satellite Radio; Traction control (FWD); Rear spoiler; Reverse Sensing System; Leather seating surfaces; Heated seats; Voice-activated DVD-based navigation system; and the following items available shortly after the 2008 model year launches: ambient lighting and Ford Sync.
Sport Appearance Package (available on Black, Silver Birch or Red Fire exterior colors and Charcoal Black interior) features: Unique red seat inserts (cloth or available leather); Black-chrome grille with color-keyed fog lamp bezels; 18-inch machined-aluminum wheels with painted pockets; Sport-tuned suspension; Unique decklid “lip” spoiler; Red cloth accents on seats, door trim; Red stitching on seats, steering wheel and center console; Unique brushed-aluminum radio surround: Dual chrome exhaust tip (on V-6 SE).
Moon and Tune Package for SE or SEL features: Power moonroof and Audiophile sound system with six-disc changer and eight speakers.