With a history that started back in 1948, the Ford F-Series is now one of the best sold pick-ups on the US market. The model is currently in its twelfth generation and for the 2013 model year, it has been updated with a new design and all-new driver controls technology.
The 2013 F-150 has received an updated front end, with a new grille and HID projector headlamps. Customers can also opt for new 18 and 20" wheels, as well as the choice of three new hues including Blue Jeans Metallic, Kodiak Brown Metallic, and Ruby Red Clearcoat Metallic. The F150 can also now be ordered with SYNC with MyFord Touch voice-activated driver controls.
Under the hood, Ford has placed a choice of four engines: a 302 HP 3.7 liter V6, a 360 HP 5.0 liter V8, a 411 HP 6.2 liter V8, and a 365 HP 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine. All of the engines can be mated to a fuel-saving electronic six-speed automatic transmission with tow/haul mode.
Hit the jump to read more about the 2013 Ford F-150.
Exterior and Interior
While the exterior modifications done on the F-150 aren’t as impressive as some might have expected, the pick-up is now a step closer to the Super Duty family. Ford is offering bold new grilles combining fresh designs with instantly recognizable F-Series cues. Customers can also choose between 18" and 20" wheels and HID projector headlamps as available options.
The interior has also been updated with new environment colors including a Steel Gray interior on Lariat and a Black interior for King Ranch, new Alcantara seats for the FX Appearance Package, and new choices of Black or Pecan leather seating for the Platinum series.
The Lariat, King Ranch, Platinum and Limited series are now offered with SYNC with MyFord Touch MyFord Touch voice-activated driver controls coupled with an all-new, large 8-inch LCD color touch screen mounted in the center stack.
SYNC Services Include:
- Traffic Information
- Turn-by-Turn Directions
- Business Search
- Send to SYNC from Google Maps and MapQuest
The 2013 Ford F-150 is being offered with a choice of four powerful engines, ranging from a standard 302 HP 3.7 liter V6 up to a very powerful a 411 HP 6.2 liter V8. The mid-grade engine is a 360 HP 5.0 liter V8, but customers that are more economical can choose the 365 HP 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine. All of the engines can be mated to a fuel-saving electronic six-speed automatic transmission with tow/haul mode.
F-150 Engine Lineup in Detail:
3.7-liter four-valve Ti-VCT V6
- Best-in-class 302 horsepower at 6,500 rpm
- Unsurpassed 278 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,000 rpm vs. V6 competitors
- Best-in-class 17 mpg city and best-in-class 23 mpg highway (4x2)
- Best-in-class 6,100 pounds maximum trailer tow vs. V6 competitors
5.0-liter four-valve dual-overhead-camshaft Ti-VCT V8
- Best-in-class 360 horsepower at 5,500 rpm vs. standard V8 competitors
- 21 mpg highway, unsurpassed 15 mpg city (4x2)
- Best-in-class 10,000 pounds maximum trailer tow vs. standard V8 competitors
6.2-liter two-valve single-overhead-camshaft V8
- Best-in-class 411 horsepower at 5,500 rpm
- Best-in-class 434 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,500 rpm
- 13 mpg city, 18 mpg highway (4x2)
- Best-in-class 11,300 pounds maximum trailer tow
3.5-liter Ti-VCT EcoBoost engine
- 365 horsepower at 5,000 rpm on regular fuel
- Best-in-class 420 lb.-ft. of torque at 2,500 rpm vs. premium V8 competitors
- Up to 90 percent peak torque available from 1,700 rpm to 5,000 rpm
- Best-in-class 11,300 pounds maximum trailer tow vs. all competitors
- Best-in-class 3,120 pounds payload vs. all competitors
- Unsurpassed 16 mpg city, 22 mpg highway vs. all competitors
The 2013 Ford F-150 will go on sale at the end of 2012. Prices will be announced at a later date.
As previously mentioned, the Ford F-150 is one of the most successful pick-ups on the US market, but the competition is still very strong. Customers can opt to go with models like the Dodge Ram 1500 , the Chevrolet Silverado , or the GMC Sierra - all of which have a powerful history on the market as well.
Also refreshed for the 2013 model year, the Ram 1500 is one of the F-150’s most powerful competitors. It comes with either a 305 HP 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine or a 395 HP HEMI 5.7-liter V-8. As for the Silverado and Sierra - a revamp is planned for the 2014 model year, so until then, Ford can relax.
- New technologies
- Four engines to choose from
- Lots of packages and versions to combine
- Fuel economy is still a problem
- Competition is strong