> 
Formula One

Formula One

Posted on by Bryan 3

While most of us have let the incident in Germany between Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa die off, some are still sour over the event. Today, Nick Heidfeld said that it would be a shame if the team orders incident influenced the outcome of the F1 Championship.

Currently, Alonso sits on top of the driver’s table by 11 points and seven of those points were earned at Hockenheim, where Massa was told to move aside to let Alonso pass.

"If Alonso wins the championship with a margin less than the 7 points, it would devalue the championship — that’s a personal view," said former FIA president Max Mosley.

Mosley isn’t the only one who feels this way, as the Red Bull team boss agrees, stating that it would be frustrating if the Spanish driver took the title.

Ferrari has already fined $100,000 for the move, as team orders in F1 are banned at the moment.

Source: Motorsport.com/GMM
Posted on by Bryan

The truth has finally come out from McLaren , as they have just admitted that they might reconsider their decision to support both Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button during the course of the Brazilian Grand Prix.

The team had stated that they would support Button, despite the fact that the driver is just about out of the contention for the championship. Hamilton is in much better shape at the moment and the team may need Button to help him out during the race.

"We’ll see what the situation is during the race," said boss Martin Whitmarsh to the BBC.

At the moment, Hamilton is only 21 points back of Fernando Alonso, while Button is 42 points back with only 50 points up for grabs, so it would make sense to give Hamilton everything he needs to help run down the Ferrari.

"We’ll see what happens over the course of the weekend," added Whitmarsh. "There’s a good relationship between the two drivers. I’m sure they are going to co-operate with each other.”

Source: BBC Sport
Posted on by Bryan 1

Williams have agreed to supply transmissions for the Hispania Racing Team next season, as they hope to climb out of the cellar with some help from a former champion.

Hispania have not had much success this season and have yet to score a point finish. Due to their lack of success, many have wondered if the team will be around for the 2011 campaign. This new partnership is key to that future.

If there is one area that links these two teams, it’s the fact that both Williams and Hispania have their engines supplied by Cosworth , making it a bit easier to adapt the gearboxes for the Hispania cars.

As far as the competition goes, Lotus have signed a deal with Red Bull Technology for their gearboxes in 2011, but Virgin have yet to make any major deals. Like the other 2010 newcomers, Lotus and Virgin Racing , Hispania started the season using Xtrac gearboxes.

The Brazilian Grand Prix is this Sunday, so be sure to tune in.

Posted on by Bryan

McLaren have just confirmed that they will back Jenson Button in his title defense at the Brazilian Grand Prix, despite the English driver being 42 points behind with only 50 points up for grabs.

His teammate, Lewis Hamilton, is only 21 points behind and could use the support of Button, but that’s just not going to happen.

"He has vowed to fight on and we will be supporting him fully next weekend," said McLaren boss Martin Whitmarsh to the BBC.

"Jenson knows you can’t lift the title without being a resolute fighter."

Button knows that it’s a long shot, but he has said that he wouldn’t be able to forgive himself if he backed down and did not try and defend his title. He has stated that he will continue to fight until it’s mathematically impossible for him to win.

Currently, Fernando Alonso sits atop of the standings, with Mark Webber, Hamilton, and Sebastian Vettel close behind. Webber is currently the closest to Alonso, as he is only down 11 points.

Despite being so far down and behind four other drivers, Button remains upbeat.

"It’s totally possible I could win at Interlagos, take home maximum points and have none of the other title contenders finish, he said to the BBC.

Source: BBC Sport
Posted on by Bryan 4

McLaren’s Jenson Button feels like his title hopes are all but gone, after he finished 12th in the Korean Grand Prix .

Button is now 42 points behind the leader, Fernando Alonso, with only 50 points still on the table. Despite this, Button has vowed to keep fighting, despite his belief that everyone will need to have failures in order to get back into title contention.

His teammate, Lewis Hamilton, remains confident in his chances and feels that the new updates that are going for his car will help McLaren remain competitive with the Ferrari and Red Bull machines.

"We can still do this," said Hamilton to the BBC. "We have some stuff coming on the car which should enable us to fight with Red Bull in Brazil and Abu Dhabi."

Hamilton is currently 21 points behind Alonso, but drivers now get 25 points for winning a race. If Hamilton can take the last two races, he might have a great shot at taking his second career championship.

Full story after the jump.

Source: BBC Sport
Posted on by Bryan 1

Gerhard Berger has just accused Mark Webber of attempting to take out his championship rivals at the Korean Grand Prix during his wreck in the early part of the race .

At the time, Webber was leading the championship by 14 points, but he managed to clip the curb and spin his car into the wall. That’s not the end of the story, as his Red Bull skated back across the track, collecting Nico Rosberg’s Mercedes.

Berger believes that Webber could have stomped on the brakes to avoid coming back across the track. A few laps earlier, Rosberg had passed Lewis Hamilton and had that not taken place, Webber would have hit the McLaren, a serious championship rival.

When asked if he thought the move was deliberate, Berger, who owned Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso, said yes, it was very deliberate.

"It’s very obvious, you can see his wheels are not locked up. Perhaps he had a brake problem, but I don’t think so,” he said.

Red Bull team boss Horner responded: "As with every incident in Formula One , opinions will always be made without all the facts.

"Just to be absolutely clear - Mark’s intention was not to take out another driver after his crash and it’s ridiculous to suggest otherwise," he told the Telegraph.

Mark Webber has not commented on the story and we don’t think he will, but this wouldn’t have been the first time that a driver has attempted to take out a rival. Still, by the look of the accident, it didn’t seem like he was going after any of his fellow drivers.

Source: GMM
Posted on by Bryan

Formula One boss, Bernie Ecclestone, has denied having said that Spa-Francorchamps is on the verge of being chopped off the F1 calendar. Speaking to a Belgian reporter after the Korean Grand Prix, Ecclestone said that a recent report in The Guardian twisted his words. Despite this, he has hinted that a few races might get cut from the European Formula One calendar.

“I am sure that in the years to come, we will lose a few races in Europe. It is almost certain. Which ones? I have no idea. But from our side, we want to keep Spa. There are long discussions about the grand prix there, but if it does go, it will be because of the government, not me,” said Ecclestone.

There have been rumors that three races might get axed: Silverstone, Spa, and Istanbul. We don’t think that the British have anything to worry about, due to the redesigned circuit and the fact that there are numerous teams based in the UK. That leaves Spa and Istanbul, which have both reported financial losses.

Either way, two new races will be coming on board very soon, including a track in Austin, Texas and one in Sochi, Russia . The race in the U.S is scheduled to open in 2012, while the Russian race is still a few years off.

Posted on by Bryan 2

Fernando Alonso, in his red Ferrari, has become the championship leader after winning a rain-soaked inaugural Korean Grand Prix.

McLaren’s Lewis Hamilton was second and Alonso’s teammate Felipe Massa came third. While those two managed points, Jenson Button came twelfth to all but end his hopes of defending the title.

The Spaniard is now leading Red Bull’s Mark Webber, who crashed early on, by 11 points and Hamilton by 21 points.

While the rain proved to be a serious issue for many of the drivers, it was an engine failure that knocked out Sebastian Vettel while he was leading the race. After failing to finish, the German is now 25 points behind Alonso.

"We know with the new points system everything can change in one race - if you don’t score, you lose 25 points to your opponents," said Alonso to the BBC after the race.

Hit the jump to keep reading

Source: GETTY IMAGES
Posted on by Bryan

The controversial Korean Grand Prix is already getting a makeover. The FIA is planning on making changes to Yeongam’s Turn 16 before Saturday. Talk about efficiency.

The reason for this modification is due to a bump that unsettles the cars. The replacement curb will cover the bump, but it will also slow lap times.

In addition to the bump, the wall on the right on the exit of the corner will be moved back, although engineers have yet to determine how far they can move it. The wall currently shoots out and doesn’t have a tire barrier for protection, so if a driver happens to lose control and hit the wall, the resulting accident could be catastrophic.

The FIA is also debating on whether to tell drivers that they don’t have to respect the white line at the pit entry. The reason for this change would be to allow drivers to take a faster approach and not block the cars behind.

Be sure to tune into the first ever Korean Grand Prix on BBC1 or the Speed Channel.

Posted on by Bryan 3

Korea sure knows how to show a journalist a good time. Fly them all the way to Asia and put them up in a “love hotel”. Sadly, it’s not a love story after all, as some are complaining about used condoms under their beds and dildo vending machines.

The reason for this strange turn of events is a simple room shortage for the Korean Grand Prix, so in order to get traveling media and even some teams a good night sleep, they had to be put up in these brothels, sometimes referred to as “love hotels”.

"After a ten-hour flight to Seoul, a first class train journey to Mokpo and a quick taxi ride to our ’Love Hotel’, we’ve arrived. The accommodation is a bit bizarre and there are easily 30 of these ’Love Hotels’ in the area - the one down the road is called the Hotel Feel, but we steered clear of that. Ours, The Washington, is actually very nice. It’s still a ’Love Hotel’ but it’s clean, has a 42" TV and free Internet access,” said a photographer for Sutton Images.

The first ever Korean Grand Prix was already dicey, but this is sure to be an event that nobody will ever forget. Just don’t take home any souvenirs from the room.

Source: UK Yahoo

Back to top