The Genesis R-Spec comes with Track-tuned suspension, 19-inch gunmetal-finish alloy wheels, performance summer tires, Brembo braking system, Torsen limited-slip differential, and R-Spec badging. Powering the coupe will not be the top range 306 hp 3.6-liter V6 engine, but rather the 2.0-liter low-pressure turbocharged four-cylinder unit that delivers 210 hp. As suspected, this was to be more tuner friendly at a lower base cost. Pricing for the Spec-R starts at $23,750, and Hyundai calls the car a "high-performance blank canvas for tuners".
Press release after the jump.
When the colors of your new turbocharged rear-wheel-drive sport coupe are named after international racing circuits, you’d better have the performance and confidence to back it up. Now, Hyundai is upping the ante by announcing an R-Spec version of the all-new 2010 Genesis Coupe, designed to appeal to true enthusiasts who want a low starting price and the ability to tune their car to their own specifications. R-Spec will be available as a mid-2010 model year introduction.
R-Spec provides genuine track-readiness in an affordable model. The R-Spec adds core performance equipment to the most affordable 2.0T model, such as: Track-tuned suspension, 19-inch gunmetal-finish alloy wheels with performance summer tires, Brembo® braking system, Torsen limited-slip differential, and R-Spec badging. To further reduce cost and weight, it also eliminates some non-essential convenience equipment such as: Bluetooth®, automatic headlights, cruise control, trip computer, chrome interior accents and steering wheel audio controls. The Genesis Coupe R-Spec will be priced at $23,750 and $3,000 less than the 2.0T Track model, leaving tuners with extra cash for their own choice of aftermarket performance upgrades. Appropriately, the R-Spec will be available in three performance oriented exteriors colors: Karussell White, Bathurst Black and Tsukuba Red.
R-Spec equipment includes:
- · 2.0-liter low-pressure turbocharged intercooled four-cylinder engine with dual continuously variable valve timing delivering 210-hp, an estimated 30 mpg EPA highway rating and a top speed of 137 mph
- · 6-speed close-ratio manual transmission
- · Electronic Stability Control with Traction control, ABS, Electronic Brake-Force Distribution and Brake Assist
- · 19-inch gunmetal-finish alloy wheels with staggered-width high-performance summer-compound Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tires (225/40YR19 front, 245/40YR19 rear)
- · Brembo® braking system with 13.4-inch ventilated front rotors, 42mm four-piston fixed front calipers (red), 13.0-inch ventilated rear rotors, 32mm+28mm four-piston fixed rear calipers (red)
- · Track-tuned suspension (higher-rate coil springs, higher-control shock absorbers, 25mm front stabilizer bar, 22mm rear stabilizer bar, front strut brace)
- · Torsen-type limited-slip differential
- · R-Spec badging
- · Quick-ratio hydraulic steering (2.7 turns lock-to-lock)
- · Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- · Front, side, side air curtain air bags
- · Active front head restraints · Driver’s lumbar support
- · Air conditioning
- · Remote keyless entry system
- · Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
- · Power windows (one-touch up and down), door locks and mirrors
- · AM/FM/XM/MP3/CD audio system with six speakers
- · iPod/USB/Aux jack connectivity
- · Projector beam headlamps
- · Lightweight temporary spare with aluminum wheel (T135/80D18)
- · Note: Automatic transmission not available with R-Spec