> 
industry news

industry news

  Automotive industry news, it feels like nothing of what they say is really important but put it together and you will get the big picture before the others.


British-based owners of the Porsche 911 GT3 are banding together to demand compensation for costs incurred stemming from the recall of the sports car last February after two GT3s caught fire earlier this year. Customers behind the GT3 Worldwide Action Group aren’t too happy that GT3 owners from other parts of the world are getting compensated for their affected cars while those in the UK are getting nothing.

In a letter sent to Porsche AG senior management, the GT3 Worldwide Action Group is demanding a compensation of £145 ($243) per day payable from February 18, the day when owners were first advised by Porsche to stop driving the GT3 because of problems with piston-rod connectors that has forced Porsche to take the unprecedented step of replacing all of the car’s engines .

The compensation being sought by these owners is intended to cover lease costs, deprecation, reduced warranty, insurance costs and lack of intended use. On top of that, the group also wants Porsche to pay &euro100 ($138) a day for customers whose cars are still in production and 50 euros for owners who have paid a deposit but have yet to be given a build slot.

It seems like a fair deal given that according to a statement the group released, U.S. owners of the GT3 are being compensated $2,000 a month for the duration of the recall while owners in Germany are getting &euro175 ($241) a day, the same amount the group is seeking for British-based owners of the sports car. The UK’s Daily Telegraph has even corroborated these claims, saying that it had seen email from Dubai Dubai ’s official Porsche dealer confirming to one GT3 customer that it will pay the owner $12,000 in compensation for the recalled GT3.

But UK customers have so far received nothing in compensation from Porsche, and the group, which represents around 30 to 35 owners in the UK, are rising up to force Porsche to pay them up. “We are massively disappointed by the way the manufacturer has conducted itself with its lack of transparency and blatant discrimination between markets,” Sunil Mehra, the founder of the group, said.

Interestingly enough, one of those British-based customers who was forced to return the Porsche 911 GT3 was McLaren Automotive . Turns out, McLaren brought a GT3 and had plans to use it as it prepared to develop the McLaren P13 , the company’s two-seat sports car that it plans to launch as a direct competitor to the Porsche.

Click past the jump to read about Porsche GT3’s fire problems.


Audi’s latest remake of the TT Coupe and Roadster could potentially pave the way for an entire family of TT-based cars, including the Offroad concept seen at the Beijing Motor Show.

In an interview with Autocar, Audi boss man Rupert Stadler mentioned some fairly revealing information regarding the idea. “The TT can be a family,” Stadler said. “This concept shows that we can do it as long as the genetic code is kept.” This sort of ‘genetic code’ of sorts is what makes the TT unique, including the wheels arches, unique side windows, the exterior lighting, and the interior themes.

What this means for Audi, and more specifically for the TT, is a series of cars all based on the same platform, but with different seating configurations, number of doors, and possibly several powertrain options. It seems the sky is the limit for the TT except for the one design direction that Stadler specifically shot down: a bigger sedan. “The TT should be an icon and that icon has to be respected and that means a compact car that sporty to drive.

Still, that leaves options like a three-door hatch, a two-door shooting brake, the Offroad concept (pictured above), or a smaller four-door compact sedan like the one Audi Technical Chief Ulrich Hackenberg hinted at last month. This sort of sedan would compete nicely with the hot-selling Mercedes CLA and BMW M235i. However, it does seem this sort of compact sedan might cannibalize Audi sales elsewhere in its lineup, namely the A3. Perhaps Audi will include enough differentiation to separate the cars in terms of performance, intended function, and targeted audience to make production of both make sense.

Click past the jump to read more about the Audi TT Offroad.

Source: AutoCar
Posted on by Ciprian Florea +  

Porsche may have recalled each and every 2014 GT3 to replace their engines, but the fire-risk debacle is far from being over. Forced to keep their GT3s in on the sidelines or in Porsche dealerships nationwide until the mill transplants begin, current owners are obviously unhappy.

And we can’t blame them. When you’re spending $130,000-plus on a sports car , the last thing you want is to wait for weeks or even months for the manufacturer to deal with any issue that might occur. Porsche is aware of that and, although it has yet to provide a timetable for this recall , it has notified its customers that they’ll be given compensation for their inability to drive the 2014 GT3s they have purchased.

According to an official letter received by GT3 owners that was published on the Rennlist Forums, Porsche’s first step is to add an extra 12 months (or 100,000 miles) to the Porsche Approved warranty that comes with each 2014 model year GT3. Also, the letter suggests each owner will be compensated for not being able to drive the car while in service, but it does not provide further details.

However, the same owner that disclosed the letter, who was supposed to get his brand-new GT3 a week ago, says Porsche has promised to pay $2,000 per month until the sports car is actually delivered.

While the German automaker is obviously trying to do the right thing, some GT3 customers are still dissatisfied with the likely scenario in which their car will be delivered six months into the model year. More details will become available in the coming weeks, so make sure you stay tuned for further news on the matter.

As a brief reminder, Porsche has notified owners to stop driving their GT3s in February after two vehicles burned to a crisp. The manufacturer discovered that the issue was caused by faulty piston rod screws and decided to install new engines on all 2014 model year vehicles. In addition to recalling cars already delivered to customers, Porsche also ordered dealers to stop selling GT3s until updates are installed.

Click past the jump to read the letter delivered to Porsche GT3 buyers.

Here it is folks, the "all-new" 2015 Dodge Charger . At first glance, I was a tad disgusted by the revisions, as they seemed rather light. But upon further examination, they began to grow on me and I noticed they were more extensive than I initially thought. Dodge changed up a ton of exterior metal, including the hood, fenders, fascias, front doors, R/T spoiler, taillights, headlights, center-mounted stop light, wheel selection, and added a few heritage colors. On the inside, I see a new seven-inch TFT gauge cluster, a new radio and touchscreens (available in 5- or 8.4-inch), a brand-new steering wheel, a bad-ass shifter, a new Dodge Performance Pages app and some new interior trimming.

The biggest change on the inside — other than more stylish aesthetics — is that Dodge Performance Pages, which is only available on the R/T model. This program, which is accessible through the 8.4-inch touchscreen, has active launch control with various RPM settings for perfect off-the-line acceleration, and performance timers and gauges, including G-force meters, engine oil, transmission oil and coolant temperatures, oil pressure, and engine performance. From the images, I can see there are two pages of gauges, and Dodge did not talk about what’s on page two. I assume this will be things like tire pressure, tire temperature and maybe brake temperature.

With the changes to the 2015 Ford Mustang and the anticipated changes in the next-gen Camaro , it looks like the muscle car realm is reaching for new heights.

Have a look after the jump to see other key changes for the 2015 Dodge Charger


The unfortunate and untimely death of Paul Walker put the future of the Fast & Furious franchise in tenuous position, a position that it was only able to move on from just recently. One of the biggest challenges Fast 7 experienced in the wake of Walker’s death was how it would be able to finish a movie when he still had some action scenes to shoot? It took months of discussions, but ultimately, the people behind the Fast franchise came to a decision to use not one of Walker’s brothers, but two of them.

In an announcement it made on its Facebook page, Fast 7 producers have made it known that both Cody and Caleb Walker, are set to be included in the movie to finish Paul’s action scenes. Rumors of a Walker brother stepping in to film Paul’s final scenes have been going swirling since late last year , shortly after his shocking death. At that time, it was Cody that was being talked about as being Paul’s replacement, but now it’s been announced that Cody and Caleb are going to be in the movie.

As far as what producers have in store for Walker’s character, Brian O’Connor, it appears that the character won’t be killed off as previously thought of. Instead, it would be "retired" in the seventh movie.

The death of Paul Walker still leaves a bad taste in our mouth, but knowing that both his brothers will be involved in the movie franchise that defined his career is as good a sign as any to pay respects to the fallen actor.

Click past the jump to see a collection of videos on Paul Walker and to read the official statement regarding the Walker brothers’ inclusion in Fast 7

Source: Yahoo!

Things are getting pretty racy over at Ferrari , as the company has just confirmed plans to build a racetrack-only version of the LaFerrrari hypercar titled the LaFerrari XX and will see big changes with the suspension and aerodynamics setups in the production car.

The breaking news comes way of Antonello Coletta, Ferrari’s head of Sporting Activity Department, at the ongoing Ferrari Racing Days in Sydney, Australia. “Now we are working on the new hypercar for the circuit, the LaFerrari XX,” Coletta admitted to Drive.com. "I hope that the new car will arrive on the circuit in January or February of next year.”

Coletta says Ferrari realizes improving the car’s power will be a difficult challenge as the car already makes an impressive 963 horsepower and 664 pound-feet of torque with its 6.3-liter V-12 engine and two electric motors. Though the power will increase, the biggest changes are said to be within the suspension tuning, tire choice, and aerodynamics.

“It will be completely different the handling, because it’s normal that the handling is different for the circuit and the road, says Coletta. The difference will be the slick tires, the aerodynamics, the electronics, the suspension, the shock absorbers.”

Though the rumors still fly about Ferrari reentering Le Mans , Coletta and the Italian automaker still deny any definite plans. “Now, we stay in F1 … For now Ferrari will not be in Le Mans but we will see, but it is absolutely not sure,” Drive reports Coletta saying. Catching an odd, Le Mans-style, LaFerrari racer testing is only adding fuel to these rumors.

The track-only LaFerrari XX follows in the footsteps already laid by the Enzo -based FXX and 599 XX. The car is expected to launch in 2015 for a price even larger than the production LaFerrari’s $1.8 million asking price.

Click past the jump to read about the LaFerrari EVOXX that we envisioned

Source: Drive
Posted on by Ciprian Florea +  

About two weeks ago. we reported about McLaren ’s decision to pause 12C production to focus on the brand new 650S. Well, it appears that the temporary halt has just become permanent, with the British company revealing that the three-year-old 12C will no longer be built.

The move comes at no surprise, as the newly-launched 650S has proven to be quite popular with customers. Although it’s more expensive than the 12C, the new supercar will keep McLaren busy with an order bank that spans over at least six months.

Although it has stopped producing and taking orders for the MP4-12C , McLaren will continue to work on improvements for the said model. Starting June, 12C drivers will benefit from a free Technology Upgrade that includes a software update and an improved IRIS system.

First up is a new Active Aero software which will enable the car’s Airbrake to detect different driving scenarios and thus improve stability. The second upgrade included in the package is a Drag Reduction System (DRS) mode. Created to enhance high-speed aerodynamics, the DRS mode lowers the rear wing when the 12C is driven at full throttle in a straight line.

Lastly, an improved Android-based IRIS infotainment system will also come with the Technology Upgrade.

In addition, McLaren promises that the reversing camera and the DAB radio introduced on the 650S will be offered to 12C owners at "a special price."

Click past the jump to read more about McLaren MP4-12C.

To say Tesla is the world’s leading automotive start-up of the last 90 years would be a gross understatement. The company has done extremely well for itself, considering its mere 10-year existence and two-model lineup. Now solely producing its second product — the Model S — Tesla is on the forefront of all-electric car design and manufacturing. The Silicon Valley company can pin the majority of its success on the shoulders of its founder and CEO, Elon Musk.

CBS 60 Minutes correspondent Scott Pelley recently sat down with Musk for an interview about Tesla. “Well, I didn’t really think Tesla would be successful,” Musk answered regarding how he could start a car company and be successful at it. “I thought we would most likely fail. But I thought that we at least could address the false perception that people have that an electric car had to be ugly and slow and boring like a golf cart.” That sort of tenacity seems to be a driving force behind Musk’s inability to think small. “If something’s important enough you should try. Even if you [think] the probable outcome is failure.”

The Model S has shown an electric car can be successful inside the U.S. It’s so successful, in fact, Tesla is having a hard time keeping up with demand, turning out 600 cars each week, despite a few fiery setbacks. Musk is even planning a $5 billion factory to be built within the U.S. for constructing enormous amounts of lithium-ion batteries. With the eventual lowered cost of battery production, Tesla’s next major goal is producing an all-electric car costing roughly $35,000, making the company and its technology open to a far greater number of consumers.

Click past the jump for more info on Elon Musk’s other projects


As one of the world’s most esteemed brands, Ferrari is no stranger to getting involved with weird lawsuits. But this time, the Maranello-based company has found itself in a humdinger of a legal battle with a 21-year-old amateur racer. The issue at hand? Control of a Ferrari fan page on Facebook.

According to Bloomberg, 21-year-old Sammy Wasem and his father Olivier have filed a criminal complaint against Ferrari SpA over accusations that the latter engaged in copyright infringement on a Ferrari fan page the younger Wasem started when he was 15 years old. Not to be outdone, Ferrari has also taken the steps to sue the Wasems, claiming that on their part, the two misused the company’s trademark to advertise non-Ferrari merchandise on its website, not to mention touting the brand on items like Wasem’s 18th birthday celebration.

This case is peculiar on so many levels, notwithstanding the obvious oddity of a fight involving a Facebook fan page. But it also has far-reaching consequences to a lot more people, largely because of how it can define the line that crosses violating somebody’s freedom of expression on social media.

As far as Ferrari is concerned, the issue it has is with people who, according to spokesman Stefano Lai, "try to use Ferrari’s intellectual property to make money out of it,” an accusation that the company is apparently throwing the direction of the Wasems despite objections by Olivier Wasem that he and his son made no money selling merchandise on the site.

For them, the fan page was merely an expression of Sammy’s love for the Maranello brand, and when it grew to become one of the biggest Ferrari fan pages on Facebook, it caught the attention of Ferrari, who in turn, sent the Wasems an email on March 2009, informing them that it was "taking over formal administration of the fan page".

At first, the Wasems agreed to turn the site into the official fan page for Ferrari, but on the understanding that they would receive financial compensation for their efforts in improving the fan page. But the money never came, four years after they lost their administration rights, hence, the civil lawsuit that was filed in February 2013, demanding Ferrari to pay them owed compensation, amounting to around $11 million for 5,500 hours of work.

I have a mild issue with the numbers the kid and his dad are tossing out. First of all, 5,500 hours since the age of 15 means that he spent 17 hours per week working on the Facebook page. I find that a little outlandish. Secondly, doing the math on the amount they are suing for and the amount of time spent on the site (per their claims) that amounts out to $2,000 per hour... Yeah, that’s a little much, folks.

As it stands, the case is now in the hands of a Geneva prosecutor who, in turn, will determine what kind of action is going to be taken next.

Click past the jump to read about Ferrari’s latest model: the California T

Source: Bloomberg

The SRT Viper’s well-chronicled sales struggles have been well documented in the media these days. While company boss Ralph Giles continues to put on a brave — and maybe even defiant — face, today’s news involving Chrysler’s decision to shut down production of the Viper because of lagging sales is something even Giles doesn’t have any excuse for.

The company made the announcement in a statement, essentially confirming rumors that it was shutting down its Conner Avenue Assembly Plant from April 14th to to June 23rd. That’s two months of the Viper’s production remaining idle, but given how much supply it still has in its inventory — 756 unsold on March 1 — there was no need for the company to keep building more Vipers .

The Viper’s struggles in sales are a little surprising, considering the hype and fanfare the sports car received when it made its return a few years ago. Some people might point to the season as a reason for lagging sales, but even that doesn’t fully explain how the Viper hasn’t been universally lauded the same way as the new Chevrolet Corvette Stingray .

Even with its limited production, wouldn’t consumers be tripping over themselves to get a Viper if it were in such a high demand? The truth its, demand for the sports car isn’t as high as SRT would’ve hoped.

We are starting to wonder if this lack of interest may result in a very short lifespan for the new SRT Viper... Let us know what you think in the comments section.

Click past the jump to read more about the SRT Viper.


1 2 3 4 5 next >
Back to top