Earning more than 25 awards in U.S. product reviews was merely the beginning for Land Rover’s breakthrough LR3 series. Last year the arrival of a V6 engine provided customers with a broader range of selection. This year the bar has been raised again by incorporating four popular features—leather trimmed upholstery, a power glass sunroof, a 240-watt harman/kardon sound system, and steering wheel touch controls—as standard LR3 equipment.
LR3 brings Land Rover prestige and core values to the heart of the SUV market thanks to its wealth of content and attractive pricing. Like all Land Rovers, the LR3 excels both on- and off-road thanks to its robust foundation, advanced technology, attention to detail, and top-quality construction. Three models are offered: the LR3 V6 SE is powered by a 216 bhp 4.0-liter V6 while both the V8 SE and the V8 HSE are powered by a 300 bhp 4.4-liter DOHC V8.
Three-row, seven-passenger seating is standard on the V8 SE and V8 HSE and optional on the V6 SE. Four-corner independent height-adjustable air suspension and Land Rover’s exclusive Terrain Response™ system are both standard across the range.
Additional refinements for 2007 are:
- A power lumbar adjuster added to the driver’s seat
- In addition to the time display in the harman/kardon ® radio, a clock has been added to the driver’s information center in the instrument cluster
- A three-flash indicator added to the turn-signal switch provides three flashes to indicate a lane-change maneuver
- The 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels fitted to the V6 SE and V8 SE are both new designs
- The front passenger’s power window opens and closes with one touch
- Front power seat adjusters operate even without the key in the ignition switch
- Major additions to the V8 SE’s standard equipment list include a standard third-row seat, rear air conditioning controls, rear park distance control, front fog lights, headlight washers, rain sensing wipers, auto-dimming inside rear-view mirror, Homelink ® garage door opener, and puddle and footwell lights
LR3’s Integrated Body-frame construction combines hydroformed-steel frame rails with a rigid monocoque body shell to provide a stiff but weight-efficient foundation. This advanced technology yields exemplary occupant protection in a collision, the robust foundation needed to support off-road excursions, and a vibration-free base for smooth and controlled on-pavement ride and handling. Additionally, this construction allows efficient interior packaging. Rubber mounts and dampers between the frame and body provide a higher degree of isolation from noise, vibration and harshness.
In the interests of efficiency, premium materials such as aluminum, magnesium, and high-tensile-strength alloy steel are used in key areas to save weight. Outer steel body panels are two-side galvanized to prevent corrosion. The two-piece tailgate is aluminum for ease of opening and closing.
LR3 offers the flexibility of two seating packages, both of which provide ample cargo space. Two rows of seats for five occupants are standard on the V6 SE. Three rows for seven occupants are standard on V8 models and optional on the V6 SE. The use of stadium seating with each successive row of seats positioned slightly higher in the vehicle provides a clear view of the road ahead and added comfort for rear passengers.
The second seating row is split 35:30:35 with seven seat passenger models for flexibility in accommodating passengers and cargo. Folding the rear seats yields a flat load floor able to carry sporting paraphernalia or building materials over six feet in length. The tailgate is a two-piece design with an upper portion that rises and a lower segment that hinges down for easy loading. The roller blind that hides valuable cargo from sight is substantial enough to serve as a parcel shelf.
The 4.0-liter V6 engine that powers the LR3 V6 SE incorporates an aluminum block and heads, a single overhead camshaft, two valves per cylinder and delivers 216 bhp at 4500 rpm and 269 lb.-ft. of torque at 3000 rpm. The 4.4-liter V8 that powers the V8 SE and V8 HSE includes an aluminum block and heads, chain-driven dual-overhead camshafts, four-valves per cylinder and delivers 300 bhp at 5500 rpm and 315 lb.-ft. at 4000 rpm. Both engines have sequential fuel injection and a distributorless ignition system.
An electronically controlled six-speed ZF automatic transmission provides a wide spread of gear ratios for confident off-road driving, excellent launch performance, quiet highway motoring, and efficient cruising. Three shift modes are available. In the automatic mode, up- and down-shifts are electronically regulated for smooth, rarely noticeable gear changes. In the Sport mode, shifting is keyed to maximum acceleration performance. In the CommandShift™ mode, the driver enjoys full manual control over the gear selected for supreme on- or off-road confidence.
The LR3’s standard electronic two-speed transfer case provides permanently engaged four-wheel drive and shift-on-the-move capability. An electronically controlled, infinitely variable locking center differential controls the front-rear torque distribution and interacts with the vehicles extensive suite of electronic traction and stability systems. Shifting into low range multiplies available torque by a factor of 2.93:1.
To maintain mobility come what may, the LR3’s driveline and braking systems cooperate providing four-corner traction control (ETC), hill-descent control (HDC), dynamic stability control (DSC), anti-lock brakes that function on- or off-road, electronic brake force distribution (EBD) for controlled, efficient stopping regardless of vehicle load, and emergency brake assist (EBA). A locking rear differential is available as optional equipment on all LR3 models.
Four-corner independent suspension consisting of unequal-length control arms and long-travel air springs provide the surefootedness expected of all Land Rovers. Electronic control of the springs provide soft or firm response, automatic load leveling and three driver selectable suspension settings: access (for ease of entry), standard, and off-road. Cross linking of the four springs and dampers gives the LR3 improved off-road performance by effectively constantly varying spring rates.
The power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering system provides excellent driver feedback and a tight 37.6-foot turn circle that’s essential for negotiating off-road hazards and obstacles.
Four-wheel disc brakes with ventilated rotors at each wheel provide ample stopping power. In addition to the usual ABS on-road function, Land Rover’s four-wheel, all-terrain ABS is calibrated to avoid wheel lock on a wide variety of terrain types. Hill descent automatically limits forward speed to 2.2 mph in low range and 3.7 mph in high range.
Radial tires with mud and snow tread ratings are specially developed by Land Rover for optimum on- and off-road performance. Aluminum-alloy wheels are standard to minimize unsprung weight and to provide an attractive, upscale appearance. The V6 SE and V8 SE models are equipped with 255/60HR18 tires while the V8 HSE rolls on 255/55HR19 rubber. Wheel designs for both the V6 SE and V8 SE are new for 2007.
Driving and Safety
TERRAIN RESPONSE SYSTEM
While various forms of traction control and limited-slip differentials are now common, Land Rover is the only SUV maker that offers Terrain Response™ that automatically adjusts a whole host of electronically controlled systems to suit driving conditions.
The Terrain Response™ knob positioned on the center console configures the engine’s throttle response, the transmission’s shift characteristics and gear selection, the center differential’s operation and rear if equipped, the air suspension, and many dynamic systems including DSC, 4ETC, and HDC, for maximum traction, stability, and control. The five available modes are:
- General—Terrain Response is never off, and the General setting is compatible with all on- and off-road conditions. Think of this as being comparable to the "automatic" setting on a digital camera.
- Grass/Gravel/Snow—Select this program and you’ll maximize traction on firm but slippery surfaces. Wet leaves and grass or hard-packed snow and ice are the perfect conditions for this setting.
- Mud/Ruts—This setting can make a dramatic difference on soft, wet ground where some degree of wheelspin is important in order to maintain momentum. Since Low Range is recommended for this program, you’ll be prompted to switch the transfer gearbox selector when you select this program.
- Sand—The title says it all. This setting gives you additional control in conditions where the ground gives way easily, such as dry, soft sand or loose dirt. With dramatic adjustments to the engine and transmission programming, as well as to the traction control and differential locks, the Sand program helps you power through desert conditions with ease.
- Rock Crawl—Available only in Low Range, Rock Crawl is for conditions where you expect to encounter clusters of boulders or other large obstacles where maximum wheel articulation, throttle control, ground clearance and low-speed traction are absolutely critical.
Thanks to Terrain Response™, the LR3 is able to venture farther off-road with assurance that the journey home will be completed.
SAFETY AND SECURITY
Systems aimed at protecting the occupants’ well being are integral to the LR3’s design. The foundation is a hydroformed-steel ladder frame engineered with buckle points that collapse in a controlled manner to absorb energy during a frontal impact. Load paths are provided to avoid over-riding smaller vehicles and to manage energy concentrations caused by off-set contact with a fixed object or a second vehicle. Beams integrated with the door and roof-pillar structures help to avoid intrusion during side-impact collisions. The steel monocoque body shell serves as a safety cage to resist impact or roll-over incursion. The centrally located fuel tank is well protected from damage during side or rear collisions.
A full complement of airbags supplement the injury protection provided by the three-point belts located at every seating position and the belt pre-tensioners provided for front occupants. The front-mounted airbags deploy in two stages depending on the accident severity and information
received from weight and belt-tension sensors. Front-seat-mounted airbags offer thorax protection during a lateral collision. Roof-mounted side-curtain airbags deploy in a side collision to provide head protection for all outboard occupants. A total of six airbags are fitted to five-passenger LR3s while seven-passenger models are equipped with eight airbags.
In addition to the above major safety systems and electronic controls described in the Chassis presentation, the LR3 has countless other attributes aimed at helping ensure safe travel. Command seating provides the driver with an excellent view of traffic and conditions in every direction. LATCH (Lower Anchor and Tether for Children) equipment is provided in two middle row positions for the safe accommodation of toddlers in child safety seats. Rear doors are equipped with child locks; the standard central locking and keyless entry systems help make sure no door is accidentally opened. Advanced technology head-, tail-, and fog lights provide the driver and other motorists the visibility needed in low-light conditions. Deep-tinted glass and a standard security system with engine immobilization help protect the LR3 and its contents from theft or intrusion.
COMFORT, CONVENIENCE, AND INFOTAINMENT
A significant 2007 upgrade for the LR3 V6 SE is to a 240-watt harman/kardon® AM/FM-stereo radio system with six-disc in-dash CD changer, nine speakers, and steering-wheel-mounted controls. The high-flying V8 HSE comes equipped with an even better 550-watt harman/kardon ® LOGIC7™ digital surround sound system that plays through 14 speakers (A six-disc changer and steering wheel controls are also provided in the V8 HSE.) LOGIC7™ offers an auxiliary connection for MP3 players and audio output connections in the second- and third-row seats.
DVD-based navigation with a seven-inch LCD touch-sensitive screen, 2D and 3D map displays, and on- and off-road guidance capability is standard in the V8 HSE and available in a V8 SE Technology Package. (This option also includes SIRIUS satellite radio, a center console cooler box, and a Bluetooth ® Personal Telephone Integration System.) A special 4x4 Information screen presents the Terrain Response™ system settings for transmission gear and transfer case range plus front-wheel-angle position, HDC control status, suspension setting as well as a suspension movement display.
The LR3’s personal telephone integration system, standard on the V8 HSE, accommodates the owner’s mobile telephone either in a cradle that’s provided or by means of Bluetooth ® wireless technology. Thanks to a fiber optic multiplex network called MOST ® (Media Oriented System Transport) entertainment, communication, and navigation communications are all exchanged at high speed.
Thanks to its upright design and efficient space utilization, the LR3 offers one of the most spacious interiors available in the mid-size SUV category. The electrically-adjustable, ergonomically-designed front bucket seats now provide a lumbar adjuster for the driver and standard leather trim. The tilt steering wheel is also sheathed in a soft grade of leather. Alpine windows in the rear portion of the roof and a standard power glass sunroof keep the interior mood bright. Second- and third-row (standard on all V8 models) seats are positioned like stepping stones to give every occupant a comfortable view of the road or terrain ahead. In these seven seat passenger models, the second-row bench is a 35:30:35 split design to facilitate trading seating space for cargo room when necessary.
The dual-zone automatic climate control system uses CFC-free refrigerant. A rear climate control system is included when a third-row seat is installed.
A new 2007 feature offered as standard V8 HSE and optional V8 SE equipment is a package containing bi-Xenon (HID high- and low-beams) headlights and forward-operating park-distance control. Rear park distance control is standard on both the V8 SE and V8 HSE models.
A programmable key fob provides remote control over the central locking system and the air suspension’s height setting. Outside rear-view mirrors are heated for good visibility in inclement weather. Adaptive lighting that swivels the headlights in synch with steering movement is optional on the V8 HSE.
Eight distinctive exterior and two interior colors are offered.
- V6 SE -$42,150
- V8 SE -$48,950
- HSE -$53,950
All prices listed are Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Prices (MSRP) and include a $715 destination and delivery charge.
- Cold Climate Package (all models)-$1,300
- Dual-stage heated first- and second-row seats
- Heated windshield
- Heated windshield washer jets
- Heavy-Duty Package (all models)-$625
- Active locking rear differential
- Full-size spare tire with aluminum-alloy wheel
- Rear Seat and Climate Package (V6 SE only / Std. on V8 models)- $2,200
- Additional third-row
- Second- and third-row fold-flat seating
- Third-row side curtain airbag, map lights and accessory power outlet
- Second-row A/C and heating controls and additional vents for second and third-rows
- Rear luggage net
- Additional front cupholder
- Luxury Package (HSE only)-$1,750
- Cold Climate Package
- Center console cooler box
- Adaptive front lighting system
- Technology Package (V8 SE only)-$3,500
- SIRIUS Satellite Radio (service not included)
- Personal Telephone Integration System with Bluetooth ® capability
- On-road/off-road DVD-based premium navigation system including 4x4 information center
- Center console cooler box
- Individual Options
- Personal Telephone Integration System with Bluetooth ® capability and SIRIUS Satellite Radio – service not included (V6 & V8 SE only)-$800
- Bi-Xenon headlights and front park distance control (V8 SE only / Std. on V8 HSE)-$750
- Java Black Pearl exterior paint (all models)-$400
- SIRIUS Satellite Radio – service not included (V8 HSE only)-$400
- Rear DVD entertainment system -Dealer Installed
- BODY/CHASSIS CONSTRUCTION
- * Isolated monocoque body – part of Land Rover’s developed Integrated Body-frame™ architecture
- * Outer-body panels are double-sided, zinc-coated steel and aluminum alloy
- * Advanced use of latest hydroforming technology using aluminum and Boron steel
- * Five or seven passenger configurations
- * Interior seating flexibility allows for a completely flat load space over six feet long
- * Stadium seating has each row higher than the one in front for visibility
- * Two-piece aluminum tailgate
- * High speed electrical architecture including MOST ® (Media Orientated System Transport) network
- 60-degree V6. 90-degree V8. Aluminum-alloy cylinder heads and block
- Valvetrain – single overhead camshaft, two valves per cylinder on the V6 and chain-driven double overhead camshafts, four valves per cylinder with Variable Camshaft Phasing (VCP) on the V8
- 4.0-liter, alloy V6 develops 216 bhp at 4,500 rpm and 269 lb.-ft. of torque at 3,000 rpm
- 4.4-liter, alloy V8 develops 300 bhp at 5,500 rpm and 315 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,000 rpm
- Two-speed transfer gearbox and permanent four-wheel drive with four-wheel Electronic Traction Control (4ETC)
- Terrain Response system
- Electronically controlled infinitely variable locking center and optional rear differential
- Six-speed electronically controlled, intelligent automatic transmission with CommandShift
- SAFETY & SECURITY
- Rigid steel safety-cage construction
- Command driving position for optimal visibility
- Frontal structure designed to minimize the effect of a collision with a smaller vehicle
- Four-wheel disc brakes with four-channel, all-terrain anti-lock braking system (ABS)
- Electronic parking brake
- Emergency brake assist (EBA) for extra boost in an emergency stop
- Dynamic stability control (DSC) to maintain directional control
- Hill descent control (HDC) for slow, sure movement down steep inclines
- Terrain Response matches vehicle dynamic systems to terrain
- Four-wheel electronic traction control (4ETC)
- Electronic brakeforce distribution (EBD)
- Driver and front passenger seats have weight and safety belt tension sensors
- Up to an eight-airbag Supplemental Restraint System (SRS). Driver and dual-threshold front-passenger airbag SRS, side thorax airbag SRS for from seating positions, and head protection, side-curtain airbag SRS for first- and second-row outboard occupants. Additional third-row side-curtain airbag SRS in vehicles with optional Rear Seat and Climate Package. Front passenger seat occupant-detection system.
- Side impact protection from seat-mounted thorax airbags for the front seat as well as downward deploying curtains for outboard occupants of the first two rows of seats and adjacent to the third row of seats if equipped
- Front and rear one-piece, three-point lap/shoulder safety belts for all seating positions. High-adjustable front safety-belt anchors.
- "Twin pocket" quartz halogen headlights and available automatic bi-Xenon headlights
- Mid-mounted fuel tank
- LATCH (Lower Anchor and Tether for Children) system for child seat attachment
- Collision-activated inertia switch (unlocks doors, turns off fuel pump and activates hazard warning lights)
- Rear fog lights and available front fog lights
- Vehicle security system with engine immobilization feature
- Keyless entry. Central locking of all doors
- Child locks for rear doors
- Deep-tinted glass
- AUDIO & NAVIGATION EQUIPMENT
- V6 SE / V8 SE
- * 240-watt harman/kardon AM/FM-stereo audio system with six-disc in-dash CD changer and nine speakers
- * Steering-wheel-mounted audio controls for volume, station and track selection
- Premium 550-watt harman/kardon LOGIC7 digital surround-sound AM/FM-stereo audio system with six-disc in-dash CD changer and 14 speakers
- Steering-wheel-mounted audio controls for volume, station and track selection
- Second- and third-row personal remote audio outputs. Auxiliary input for MP3 player or iPod
- Personal Telephone Integration System featuring Bluetooth technology
- DVD-based GPS navigation with off-road capability (optional on V8 SE)
- Voice recognition for basic navigation instructions
- Touch screen seven-inch LCD dash mounted screen
- The screen also has a 4x4 interface showing the settings of the Terrain Response system including gear, range and front wheel position
- COMFORT & CONVENIENCE
- Five-seat capacity in V6 SE and seven-seat capacity on V8 SE and V8 HSE (seven-seat capacity optional on V6 SE)
- Dual-zone automatic climate control system with CFC-free air conditioning
- Available rear climate control for second- and third-row passengers
- Reclining, ergonomically designed, eight-way power adjustable driver’s seat and six-way power adjustable front-passenger seat.
- Leather-wrapped tilt steering wheel
- Rear park distance control (standard on V8 models)
- Adaptive front lighting that swivels headlights to track vehicle direction (available on HSE)
- Power windows with back-lit controls
- Rear-window wiper and washer
- Power-adjustable, heated exterior mirrors
- Electronic cruise control with steering wheel-mounted controls
- Available center console cooler box
- Programmable key fob, giving remote control over functions such as "follow me home" lights
- 65/35 split folding rear seat with available fold flat interior
- Full instrumentation including tachometer, fuel-filler-door indicator. Message information center in instrument panel.
- EXTERIOR COLOR
- Chawton White
- Stornoway Grey
- Buckingham Blue
- Zermatt Silver
- Tonga Green
- Rimini Red
- Java Black
- INTERIOR COLORS
- Alpaca Beige Leather
- Ebony Black Leather
WARRANTIES & SCHEDULED MAINENANCE
- Four-year/50,000-mile New-Vehicle Limited Warranty
- Six-year/unlimited-mileage Corrosion Perforation Limited Warranty
- Land Rover 24-hour Roadside Assistance
- Complimentary Scheduled Maintenance Program during New-Vehicle Limited Warranty
- Drive system:Permanent four wheel drive
- Traction control:Four-wheel electronic traction control (4ETC)
- Transfer case:
- Two-speed electronic transfer gearbox
- Shift-on-the-move capability
- Electronically controlled, infinitely variable locking center differential
- Optional electronically controlled, infinitely variable locking rear differential
- ZF HP26 six-speed electronically controlled, automatic with CommandShift ä manual control
- Locking torque converter
- Normal , Sport and CommandShift ä Manual shift modes
- Electronic Air Suspension with automatic load-leveling and multiple modes: Access (50 mm/2.0 inches lower), Standard, Off-Road (55 mm/2.2 inches higher), plus automatic Extended mode. Cross-link valves for improved off-road performance.
- Front suspension: Independent, double-wishbone with long-travel air springs; 10.0 inches (255 mm) of vertical wheel travel
- Rear suspension: Independent, double-wishbone with long-travel air springs; 13.0 inches (330 mm) of vertical wheel travel
TERRAIN RESPONSE™ SYSTEM
- Multi-mode system to maximize traction and control in a variety of driver-selectable settings: General (optimizing systems for most normal driving conditions), Grass/Gravel/Snow, Mud/Ruts, Sand, Rock Crawl
- Modifies response of engine, transmission, differentials, dynamic systems (including DSC, 4ETC, HDC) and air suspension
- Power-assisted four-wheel ventilated disc brakes
- Four-channel, all-terrain anti-lock braking system (ABS)
- Electronic brakeforce distribution (EBD)
- Emergency brake assist (EBA)
- Cornering brake control (CBC)
- Active roll mitigation (ARM)
- Hill Descent Control (HDC)
- Restricts downhill speeds (speed depends on gear selected and can be varied with driver input)
- Minimum target speeds: 2.2 mph (3.5 kph) in Low Range, 3.7 mph (6.0 kph) in High Range
- All-terrain dynamic stability control (DSC)
- Electronic parking brake with emergency full hydraulic capability, including DSC, ABS and EBA
- 12.5 in. front/12.8 in. rear discs (317/325 mm)
- 13.3 in. front/13.8 in. rear discs (337/350 mm)
WHEELS & TIRES
- V6 SE / V8 SE
- 18 x 8-inch aluminum-alloy wheels
- 255/60HR18 mud/snow radial tires
- Spare: 175/80R19 temporary spare
- Optional full-size spare tire and alloy wheel
- 19 x 8-inch aluminum-alloy wheels
- 255/55HR19 tires mud/snow radial tires
- Spare: 175/80R19 temporary spare
- Optional full-size spare tire and alloy wheel