- 8-speed automatic
- Horsepower @ RPM:
- 0-60 time:
- 5.1 sec.
The Range Rover Evoque has been stealing the show for the past year or so, but come 2013, the new Landrover Range Rover will be back in the saddle showing off its svelte aluminum body while still maintaining its offroad capabilities.
As promised, the new generation Range Rover is lighter, stronger, and more refined. Land Rover mostly focused on reducing the SUV’s total weight, and thanks to a revolutionary all-aluminum monocoque body structure combined with weight savings throughout the chassis and driveline, the new Range Rover is now 350 kilos (771 lbs) lighter than the outgoing model.
The new Range Rover will be offered with a choice of two diesel engines, plus a V8 supercharged with 510 HP. However, a diesel hybrid will join the line-up later in 2013.
The fourth generation Land Rover Range Rover will go on sale at the end of 2012. On the British market, prices will start from £71,295, or about $114,000 at the current exchange rates.
UPDATE 10/02/2012: Land Rover USA has announced prices for the new Range Rover unveiled in Paris. On the US market, the standard LR4 will be priced at $49,950 and the LR4 HSE at $54,175. Price includes $850 destination and delivery.
More on the 2013 Landrover Range Rover after the jump.
Exterior and Interior
The new generation Range Rover has kept the essence of its design, but has taken it a step forward with a bold evolution. The model is 5 meters long and, when compared to the model it replaces, comes with a smoother and more streamline profile.
For the interior, Land Rover opted for the same distinctive Range Rover design cues, but with a fresh and very contemporary treatment. The SUV offers 118 mm more legroom, helping the rear compartment offer more space and comfort.
Land Rover is offering their clients the possibility to choose between a very long list of colors, finishes, and special details, as well as a very impressive list of set of wheels - up to 22" in diameter. A very cool two-seat Executive Class seating package will deliver the ultimate in rear-seat luxury.
New and Improved Features
- Convenience: Premium features including keyless entry, soft door close with power latching, power upper and lower tailgates, cooler compartments, and electrically deployable towbar
- High-end audio from British specialists Meridian: Exclusive surround sound music systems with audiophile-quality sound
- Displays: State-of-the-art high-resolution displays, include the stunning full digital instrument cluster and the central 8-inch touch-screen with Dual-View functionality
- Voice control and connectivity: A seamless connectivity package for mobile devices
- Climate control: All-new best-in-class climate control systems, including the powerful new premium four-zone system and Park Heater timer facility
- Luxurious seating: Upgraded seating with luxurious new features such as multi-mode massage, and the exclusive new Executive Class rear seating package
- Interior illumination: The latest LED illumination for subtle and sophisticated ambient lighting, including the ability to change the color scheme to suit the driver’s mood
New and Enhanced Features
- Two-channel Dynamic Response active lean control, and Adaptive Dynamics with continuously variable damping
- Electric Power Assisted Steering, which enables Park Assist – the latest automated technology to help drivers parallel park their car in tight urban parking spots
- Adaptive Cruise Control with new Queue Assist feature which allows the system to continue functioning at low speeds and down to a complete stop
- Intelligent Emergency Braking (including Advanced Emergency Brake Assist) to help drivers avoid a collision if the traffic ahead slows quickly or another vehicle suddenly moves into their lane
- Blind Spot Monitoring with new Closing Vehicle Sensing feature to detect vehicles which are closing quickly from a further distance behind
- Reverse Traffic Detection to warn drivers of potential collisions during reversing manoeuvres
- Surround Camera System with T Junction view, Trailer reverse park guidance, and Trailer hitch guidance.
The new generation Range Rover will be offered with a choice of two diesel engines and a petrol option. The diesel line-up will include a 3.0-liter TDV6 engine delivering 258 HP and a 4.4-liter SDV8 engine with 339 HP. The most powerful version will be powered by a LR-V8 Supercharged with 510 HP. All three engines will be paired with a smooth and responsive eight-speed automatic transmission.
One of the most impressive changes for the fourth generation Range Rover is its revolutionary all-aluminum monocoque body structure - 39% lighter than the previous body - which, combined with savings throughout the chassis and driveline, helped with a total weight saving of 350 kilos (771 lbs). Even more, the 3.0-liter TDV6 version is 420 kilos (925 lbs) lighter - thanks to its smaller engine. This model also delivers an impressive fuel economy of 37.7mpg.
Weight savings have helped the V8 model be even faster than the previous model: it accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in just 5.1 seconds, a reduction of 0.8 seconds over the outgoing model. Fuel consumption has also been reduced by 9%.
The new generation Range Rover sport will be available in 170 markets from all over the world starting the end of this year. Prices for the UK market will start at £71,295 - or about $114,000 at the current exchange rates. On the US market, the standard LR4 will be priced at $49,950 and the LR4 HSE at $54,175. Price includes $850 destination and delivery.
Launching the new generation Range Rover this year has given the SUV a big advantage over its biggest competitors - the Audi Q7 and the BMW X5 - which are still in their testing phases. The second generation Q7 is set to be unveiled in 2013, and just like the new Range Rover, it will also focus on reducing its total weight. Rumors say it will be about 650 lbs lighter than the current generation. The next BMW X5 on the other hand won’t arrive on the market until late in 2014. BMW will also focus on reducing the car’s total weight, but just by 330 lbs.
Lighter than the previous model
Looks very cool
Kind of expensive