The new ES 300h will be offered with the Lexus Hybrid Drive that combines a 2.5-liter four-cylinder Atkinson cycle engine with an electric motor for a total of 200 HP and an impressive fuel economy of 39 mpg combined. The car can hit a top speed of 112 mph and will sprint from 0 to 60 mph in just 8.1 seconds and the quarter mile in 16.8 seconds.
"Since its introduction in 1989, the ES has been the benchmark luxury sedan for quality, reliability, ride comfort and value," said Mark Templin, Lexus group vice president and general manager. "The new ES 350 and the first ever ES hybrid raise the bar once again."< /p>
Updated 07/16/2012: Lexus has announced today that the 2013 ES 300h will arrive at dealerships next month. The model will be priced at $38,850, representing a difference of $2,750 over the ES 350 - priced at $36,100.
Hit the jump to read more about the 2013 Lexus ES 300h.
The sixth generation Lexus ES has been refreshed from front to rear and has also grow in sizes: wheelbase has been increased by 1.8 inches and the length by 1 inch so that now the car offers better interior room. In the same time the car’s ride has been lowered so that it now offers a more aggressive and sporty look.
The car is defined by Lexus’ latest "L" design motif starting with the LED daytime running lights, the fog lights integrated into the sculpted lower front bumper fascia and down to the exclusive rear design with hidden exhaust and an integrated rear spoiler. The hybrid version will also be distinguished by unique blue badges and exclusive 17-inch alloy wheels.
Overall Exterior Styling/Body Design:
- Unique 17-inch alloy wheels with V-spoke design
- Crisp, high-shouldered cut-line along flanks
- Distinctive wrap-around LED taillamps
- Hidden exhaust
- L-finesse inspired long, sleek cabin look
- Spindle grille design with incorporated Lexus logo
- Integrated foglamps
- Halogen headlamps (w/LED DRLs)
- Shark fin antenna
- Side mirrors with integrated turn signals
- Lip spoiler
- Blue hybrid badging
Body Structure and Paint
- Anti-chip paint on lower body panels
- Exterior colors (9): Matador Red Mica, Starfire Pearl, Silver Lining Metallic, Nebula Gray Pearl, Obsidian, Satin Cashmere Metallic, Fire Agate, Deep Sea Mica, Cerulean Blue Metallic
- PVC sealer and undercoating
- Use of sound dampening paint type and asphalt sheets in floor pan
Thanks to the car’s bigger exterior dimensions, the interior is also offering better room: rear headroom is increased by 0.8 inches, knee room is increased by 2.8 inches and legroom is lengthened by 4.1 inches. Lexus is also offering new cabin materials and the latest technologies from the market.
- Assist grips (4): two front and two rear
- Contrast stitching on Instrument Panel
- Leather interior available in Parchment, Light Gray, or Black
- Metallic and leather-trimmed shift knob
- Three-spoke steering wheel with audio and display controls
- Rear coat hooks (2)
- Piano black trim for instrument panel, doors and upper console (wood trim is optional with PM package)
- 10-way power adjustable front seats (power fore/aft slide, recline, front and rear vertical cushion height and lumbar)
- Front seatback pockets
- Height adjustable front shoulder belt anchors
Instrumentation and Controls
- Drive mode select with Eco/Normal and Sport modes
- EV mode
- Automatic climate control display: fan speed and air flow indicators
- Battery, oil level, seat belt, brake, airbag SRS, side airbag SRS, engine, oil pressure, low fuel, tire pressure and tire slippage (with TRAC) warning lights
- Cruise control indicator lamps
- Eco Drive indicator
- Headlights-on indicator in instrument panel
- LCD-type electronic digital twin trip meters and odometer display
- Optitron® gauges
- Scheduled maintenance indicator light
- VSC cutoff switch
The sixth generation Lexus ES will be offered with enhanced NuLuxe seating surfaces, genuine or semi-aniline leather depending on the customer’s wishes. It can be ordered in Piano Black, Espresso Bird’s-eye Maple, plus Bamboo for the ES 300h.
All models will be offered with standard Lexus Premium Sound System featuring eight-speakers with Automatic Sound Levelizer (ASL), in-dash CD player, USB/iPod connectivity, and an integrated SiriusXM Satellite Radio receiver with a 90-day trial subscription.
Lexus is also offering an optional HDD Navigation System that includes voice command, an integrated backup camera, an eight-inch screen, and the next generation Lexus Enform system with App Suite.
- Analog clock
- Electrochromic auto-dimming interior mirror
- First aid kit
- Glow-in-the-dark emergency interior trunk release handle
- Heated external mirrors with memory
- HomeLink® programmable garage door opener
- Illuminated entry system: front and rear seating areas, engine start button, driver and front passenger foot-well areas and exterior mirror puddle lamp areas
- Illuminated gas and trunk release buttons
- LED license plate illumination and interior illumination
- Lexus Personalized Settings (LPS) to allow certain electronic settings to be tailored to owner preference (programmable by Lexus dealers)
- Three-spoke steering wheel and outside mirrors
- 3.5-inch color TFT Multi-Information Display
- Personal lamps (2)
- Puddle lamp illumination (from bottom of exterior side-view mirrors)
- SmartAccess door unlock settings (unlock driver’s door only or unlock all four doors): settings can be changed by simultaneously pressing the unlock and lock buttons on the key fob for six seconds
- SmartAccess with push-button start/stop
- Tool kit
The 2013 Lexus ES 300h is powered by the Lexus Hybrid Drive system that combines a 156 HP 2.5-liter four-cylinder Atkinson cycle engine with an electric motor for a total of 200 HP and an impressive 40 mpg city, 39 mpg highway and 39 mpg combined. The engine is mated to a six-speed sequential-shift automatic Electronically Controlled Transmission with intelligence (ECT-i).
The ES 300h will be offered with a Drive Mode selector. There are three driving modes to choose from: Normal for every day use, Sport mode that offers details on the IP changes from the hybrid power monitor to a tachometer and EV mode which allows short distance drives, at reduced speed, using only the power from the hybrid battery pack.
The car can hit a top speed of 112 mph and will sprint from 0 to 60 mph in just 8.1 seconds and the quarter mile in 16.8 seconds.
The 2013 Lexus ES 300h will go on sale later this year. Prices will be announced at a later date.
Even if the ES 300h is the first hybrid model from the Lexus ES line-up, it is not the first on the market. It will have to take on models that already have a tradition on the market:
The LaCrosse eAssist is powered by a 2.4-liter Ecotec direct injection four-cylinder engine combined with 15-kW motor-generator unit. The model offers a fuel economy of 37 mpg on the highway and 25 mpg in the city. The MKZ Hybrid combines a 188 HP 2.0-liter engine and electric motor for a fuel economy of 41 mpg city and 36 mpg highway.
- Great look inside out
- Fuel economy
- Decent speed on electric mode only
- Overall quality feeling
- Rear legroom
- Isolation from the outside world
- Isolation from the outside world