Mazda Motor Corporation today announced the launch in Japan of the new Mazda CX-7 five-seat crossover SUV (Sport Utility Vehicle). The CX-7 goes on sale nationwide at all Mazda, Mazda Anfini and Mazda Autozam dealers from today. The monthly sales target is 380 units.
The concept for the CX-7 is a "sport crossover SUV": the fusion of sports car and SUV. The CX-7 boasts refined and sophisticated styling that reflects its sports car roots, with satisfying power provided by a 2.3-liter direct injection turbocharged engine complemented by a six-speed Activematic transmission. From the customer’s point of view, it comes outfitted with advanced features for safety and convenience. These include Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) safety technology to help prevent lateral skidding, a parking assist system (with a side monitor and rearview guide monitor), an immobilizer and burglar alarm, a 30GB HDD navigation system, and cruise control as standard equipment.
A choice of two model grades are available, the CX-7 and CX-7 Cruising package. Both feature Mazda’s 2.3-liter MZR DISI turbocharged engine and six-speed electronically controlled automatic transmission (Activematic). Each model grade has a front-wheel drive and four-wheel drive version.
CX-7 Program Manager Shunsuke Kawasaki said, "The CX-7 exemplifies Mazda’s ’Soul of a Sports car’ philosophy. It makes a clean break from conventional SUVs and, without doubt, it is a Zoom-Zoom vehicle, skillfully blending sports car verve with SUV practicality. The CX-7 brings together performance and design like never before, resulting in a vehicle that’s inviting to look at, entertaining to drive and fun to use."
Since the CX-7 was successfully launched in the North American market in the second half of May 2006, it has enjoyed praise for its refined styling and excellent performance.
Main features of the CX-7
1. Inviting to look at - a refined, emotive design
Through the design theme, "advanced frontier," the design team produced a vehicle with beautiful and bold sports car styling that invites onlookers to get in and drive.
Mazda’s signature sports car identity of speed and dynamic performance, together with an SUV’s solid presence, are both clearly represented in its design.
- From the front, the sharply angled windshield and solid-looking prominent front fenders give a unique and refined impression.
- The beltline aggressively rises towards the rear and exclusively designed 18-inch aluminum wheels communicate power, while the roofline curves smoothly backward. Side windows framed in stainless steel add a highly dignified aspect to the profile.
- Strength and stability are emphasized in the rear view by the tapered cabin sitting atop broad shoulders and bold rear fenders.
The interior communicates excitement to the driver when they get behind the wheel, while the passengers are afforded a spacious, relaxing cabin.
- The instrument panel features a three-dial instrument cluster that is covered by a short ’roof’, with another overlapping stretched ’roof’ behind it. This double-roof structure, together with the wide center stack, enhances the sense of depth of the whole interior. Combined with the high level of craftsmanship and attention to detail that extends right down to the switches, the cockpit design reaffirms the CX-7’s sporty pedigree.
- Maximizing the sporty image, firmly contoured body-fitting front bucket seats also offer increased comfort.
- High quality leather seats, a piano black automatic transmission (AT) shifter panel and a black wood-grained center stack panel all come as standard on the CX-7 Cruising package.
Body and interior colors
Including the Copper Red Mica theme color, there are a choice of nine body colors, from vivid lively tones to deep calm shades, which can suit any taste. To match the sporty exterior appearance, the interior is black (available for both fabric or leather seat upholstery).
2. Entertaining to drive – outstanding performance
The CX-7 is fun and comfortable to drive, and offers pure excitement out on the open road.
- Powered by Mazda’s specially-tuned MZR 2.3-liter Direct Injection Spark Ignition (DISI) turbocharged engine, the CX-7 powertrain delivers stable torque from 2,000 up to 4,500 rpm, a peak torque of 350 Nm, and produces 175 kW at 5,000 rpm. In addition, CX-7 offers acceleration that is among the best in its class.
- A six-speed automatic transmission (Activematic) enhances the sporty performance and comes as standard. Mazda’s electronic Active Torgue-split All-Wheel Drive System that further bolsters the CX-7’s dynamic performance is available as a factory-installed option.
- Tried and tested MacPherson struts are used for the front suspension and a multilink system is installed in the rear. Together they provide a stable ride and agile handling, while the power smoothly delivered across the gearbox supplies a responsive, balanced feel.
3. Fun to use – stylish packaging for an enviable city life
The easy-to-drive character of the CX-7, together with the spacious luggage area, ergonomic passenger seating area and full complement of interior features make even long distance journeys pleasurable.
- The driver’s seat has a 260mm long seat slide to cater to all physiques. The eight-way fully-adjustable power seat in the CX-7 Cruising package can be moved forward, back and also reclined, and the seat cushions and backs raised and lowered, all by a simple switch. This seat also includes lumbar support as standard to raise comfort levels even more.
- Major consideration was given to the size of the luggage space, and even with the rear seats upright, the luggage area volume measures 455 liters (using the VDA method). This can be further increased by using a simple lever to fold down the rear seats.
- The interior was designed for maximum storage capacity. For example, the lockable large multipurpose center console box that is positioned behind the front seat cup holders optimizes the available space and provides room for three 2-liter drink containers or an A4 paper-sized laptop computer.
- MAZDA G-BOOK ALPHA-compatible HDD navigation system, which can store up to 2,800 songs copied from CDs (up to 12GB), is standard equipment.
- A nine-speaker Bose Centerpoint® surround sound system was exclusively developed for the CX-7 (available as a factory-installed option).
4. Top class safety
Advanced safety technology and equipment creates stress-free peace of mind.
- Large diameter ventilated discs, Mazda’s 4-wheel Anti-lock Brake System (4W-ABS), Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD), Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) and Traction Control System (TCS) all come as standard on both grades and provide braking, handling and confidence among the best in its class.
- The parking assist system (with a side monitor and rearview guide monitor) is standard equipment and assists drivers to safely negotiate narrow passages and offer support when parking the vehicle.
- Mazda’s unique, rigid frame uses the Mazda Advanced Impact Distribution and Absorption System to mitigate impact force in the event of a collision and redistribute it over the entire vehicle, thereby minimizing cabin deformation.
- Based on conventional automatic speed control systems, the Mazda Radar Cruise Control System includes a milliwave radar sensor which regulates the distance to a vehicle in front. Also standard on the CX-7 Cruising package is the Mazda Pre-crash Safety System.
- Highly effective theft prevention devices such as an immobilizer and a burglar alarm system are included on both grades.
5. Positive steps to aid environmental friendliness
Building an environmentally friendly vehicle was a priority from the first stages of development.
- By increasing the use of easily recyclable polypropylene (PP), conforming to ISO-approved material indication guidelines, and designing parts that are readily dismantled, the CX-7 is over 90 percent recyclable. The use of environmental harmful substances such as lead, mercury, cadmium, and hexavalent chromium has also been drastically curtailed.
- Emissions of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) from painting processes were curbed.
- Both grades conform to Japan’s Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle (U-LEV) emissions standards (a 50 percent reduction from the 2005 standards).