With a history dating back all the way to 1990, the Mazda MX-5 Turbo is turning the big 2-0 this year. That may not sound like a lot in human years - heck, we can’t even drink until 21 - but for an automaker, 20 is a long time for one model. And to celebrate this momentous occasion, BBR has unveiled the special edition MX-5 Turbo Anniversary Edition.
The package is based on the original 1990 150 bhp MX-5 turbo kit whose 1.6L engine gets tweaked to deliver 221 hp at 6,900 rpm and 175 lb-ft of torque at 5,100 rpm. Mazda’s 1.8L engine has also seen a performance increase, but those numbers have yet to be revealed. To attain these increases, BBR added a Garrett GT25 ball bearing turbocharger with integral waste gate control, a water cooling and ported turbine housing with ceramic coating, a new stainless steel exhaust system, and an auxiliary BBR Interceptor 2010 engine management computer with 3-dimensional mapping and external manifold pressure sensor.
BBR also hooked the celebratory edition of the Mazda MX-5 Turbo with full leather seats and any exterior paint color the customer chooses. Those won;t do much to control the new power added to the vehicle so BBR took care of that with a big brake kit with larger calipers, a limited slip differential, and a new set of light alloy wheels.
Press release after the jump.
Celebrating the 1990 launch of the original MX-5 BBR turbo, BBR is proud to announce a 20th Anniversary turbo conversion package for the Mazda MX-5 model range, covering Mk1 and Mk2 variants of the world’s most popular sports cars, in both 1.6 and 1.8 - litre capacities. BBR’s relaunched turbo kit transforms the much loved Mazda MX-5 into a serious driving machine, elevating its performance from sedate to electrifying.
BBR’s in-house expertise and unrivalled experience with the Mazda MX-5 enables the firm to build upon the overwhelming success of the original 1990 150 bhp MX-5 turbo kit, updating and enhancing the design to produce a stunning, dyno proven 220 bhp plus from just 1.6-litres.
BBR Anniversary Phase One Turbo Specification:
- Garrett GT25 ball bearing Turbocharger with integral waste gate control, water cooling & ported turbine housing with ceramic coating for improved thermal management
- High temperature alloy cast exhaust manifold with ceramic coating and stainless steel heat shield
- Front mounted Air to Air Intercooler and associated pipe work, powder coated black for factory style discretion
- Competition standard hoses and fixings throughout
- Auxiliary BBR Interceptor 2010 engine management computer with 3-dimensional mapping and external manifold pressure sensor
- BBR specification larger fuel injectors
- Stainless steel separated gases exhaust down pipe
- New cool air induction system
- Modified sump
- Modified coolant and oil system piping
- Special BBR Turbo identification badges with BBR anniversary plaque
- Priced at £4995.00 fitted
On the 1.6-litre engined Mazda MX-5 Mk1 and Mk2 power increases to a dyno proven 221 bhp at 6900 rpm, with 175 lb.ft of torque at 5100 rpm. For 1.8-litre engined cars, the peak power and torque output will be correspondingly higher.
Priced at just £4995.00 fitted in BBR’s Brackley based workshop, the BBR Mazda MX-5 turbo kit is available now. A DIY version of the kit is also available as an option, priced at £3995.00.
BBR enhanced complete Mk1 Mazda MX-5’s unveiled
BBR has also responded to demand for an upgraded Mk1 MX-5 model, which combines outstanding engine performance and chassis dynamics. BBR’s brief was to produce a carefully enhanced high-powered Mk1 MX-5 that combines great handling, civilised road manners and awesome trackday capabilities in all weathers.
As such, BBR is now able to supply renovated, 220 bhp plus turbocharged Mazda MX-5 Mk1’s featuring full leather seats and a paint finish in a colour of the owner’s choice. Prices start at £7,500 and BBR is pleased to offer a list of cost options available for the discerning MX-5 owner, including:
- A big brake kit including larger calipers
- A limited slip differential
- A longer final drive (for relaxed motorway cruising at lower revs)
- Larger diameter alloy wheels
- Further power upgrades
BBR’s revamped Mazda MX-5 Mk1 turbo is a pleasure to drive in all road conditions, providing 21st century style pace with the classic, tactile driving experience that’s unique to the world’s most popular sportscar.