After being teased for quite some time now, the new generation Mazda 6 has finally made its first appearance today before its official debut at the 2012 Moscow Motor Show (August 29 through September 9, 2012). The new model is set to go on sale by the end of the year, with prices to be announced at a later date.
The new Mazda 6 is the second Mazda model - after the new CX-5 - to adopt the company’s full range of Skyactiv technology and the "KODO – Soul of Motion" design language. The sedan is the mass production model born of the Mazda Takeri concept unveiled back in 2011. On the exterior the new Mazda 6 combines the animalistic tenacity, dignity and a sporty flare, while the interior has received better quality materials and a nicer design.
As for the engine line-up, Mazda announced details just for two gasoline versions, but for sure more engines will be used. The first is a Skyactiv-G 2.0 delivering 148 HP, while the second one is a Skyactiv-G 2.5 with 189 HP. Both engines are combined with start/stop technology, while the most powerful version will also get the i-ELOOP regenerative braking system.
Updated 01/03/2013: Mazda announced U.S. prices for the new-generation Mazda 6 which is now on sale. Prices will range from $20,880 for the entry i Sport version and up to $29,495 for the i Grand Touring version. The mid-level version, i Touring trim, is priced at $24,495. Mazda is offering an optional Touring Technology Package priced at $2,000 and a MRCC/FOW Package priced at $900.
The new Mazda 6 takes is design inspiration from the 2011 Takeri concept. Up front the most notable feature is the company’s new "signature wing" grille and a new hood which perfectly continues this wing and flows into the body character lines. The car’s newly designed headlamps are offered with LED lights and halo ring light guides - a first for a Mazda mass production vehicle.
The new Mazda 6 has also been launched with a very cool exterior paint color: "Soul Red" - a new color born of a unique technological process developed by Mazda, that balances depth and shading which accentuate the car’s dynamic form, and vividness which expresses sportiness.
"The new Mazda6 has a robust framework and a low, wide stance that expresses strength and stability, creating the impression of amazing vitality without detracting from the universal aesthetic appeal and beautiful form it displays as a CD car," says the chief designer Akira Tamatani. "We have created a design in which the wild and dynamic expressions of motion artistically realize a powerful presence. Simply looking at the car heightens one’s expectations about the driving experience even before actually riding in it."
For the interior Mazda has been working on improving the comfort level. For this the company added a new driver-oriented cockpit that offers generous space, while the cabin features higher quality materials and a nicer design.
- The 2,830mm long wheel base allows a spacious backseat area, ample interior space and a broad canvas for the unrestrained expression of KODO.
- Large 19 inch diameter wheels create a feeling of unshakable stability.
- Compared to the previous model, the front wheel has been moved forward by 100mm in relation to the A-pillar resulting in reduced overhang. The rear deck is also shorter than the previous model. The car’s stance, with the bulk of the mass toward the rear, gives a sense of explosive power ready to be unleashed at any moment.
Shoulder room of 1,450mm in the front seat (20mm wider than the previous model) and a large radius corner on the center console ensure comfortable seating.
- The rear seats feature ample legroom with knee clearance 43 mm greater than the previous model and amongst the best in the segment. Leg space is 984 mm, which is 37 mm improved on the previous model. The length of the rear seat cushion is increased 20 mm and the seat back length increased 33 mm. The rear center arm rest has been enlarged by 60 mm.
- The trunk was designed from an ergonomic perspective. Upper opening width is 32mm wider than the previous model, for easy loading. A swan hinge enables easy and smooth opening and closing of the trunk.
- An adjustable front seat combined with adjustable tilt and telescopic steering wheel enable precise adjustment of the driving position.
- A multi commander allows intuitive control of an array of functions such as audio, the navigation system and the sensitivity of the automatic windshield wipers via the center display.
- Trip management information is displayed on a 3.5-inch multi-information display in the meter cluster. Navigation information is shown on a 5-inch display located in the center panel. By separating information into categories and showing them on two different displays, readability and operability were further enhanced.
Engine and chassis
At its official launch the new Mazda 6 will be offered with a choice of two engines: a SKYACTIV-G 2.0 delivering 148 HP and a SKYACTIV-G 2.5 with 189 HP. The first engine is combined with a 6 speed SKYACTIV-DRIVE automatic transmission or 6 speed
SKYACTIV-MT gear box, while the second one gets a SKYACTIV-DRIVE
Chassis & Body
- The all-new Mazda6 sedan has a finely tuned SKYACTIV-CHASSIS front strut and rear multi-link suspension systems, which deliver agile driving performance in the low to mid speed ranges and stability in high speed driving.
- SKYACTIV-CHASSIS column-type electric power assist steering system offers precise control by responding to small steering inputs as needed without forcing changes in the positions of the hands holding the wheel and contributing to a linear steering feel. The new control assist enhances straight-ahead stability and prevents steering pull on rough road surfaces.
- The optimized brake booster curves deliver effective, precise and assured braking performance all the way up to high G areas attributable to easily-controllable initial pedaling and enhanced stability enabled by higher brake cooling efficiency.
- Robust SKYACTIV-BODY structure makes wider use of ultra-high tensile steel and results in a weight reduction while at the same time improving torsional rigidity by about 30%
- Engineering efforts in NVH performance focused on achieving class-leading quietness in the cabin and creating a pleasant yet exhilarating engine sound under acceleration. The improved NVH performance mainly comes from effectively blocking noise paths from the engine and the road to the cabin and designing parts to effectively absorb sound energy.
- The optimized under-floor design improves aerodynamic performance by rectifying airflow under the vehicle and minimizing the trailing vortex by directing the airflow upwards via the tail up design of the main silencer. CD target is class-leading 0.26 (depending on grade). This contributes to high-speed stability as well as an improvement in fuel efficiency.
|i Sport|| $20,880 |
|i Touring|| $24,495 |
|i Grand|| $29,495 |
The list of competitors for the new Mazda 6 is quite long, so it depends on each of you the model you choose. However, before deciding on one of them, you should also take a look at models like Buick Regal, Nissan Maxima or Hyundai Sonata.
The Regal is offered with a 2.4 Liter Ecotec direct injected four cylinder engine that delivers a maximum output of 182 HP or a 2.0 Liter direct gasoline injected turbocharged Ecotec with 220 HP. Maxima on the other hand gets a 3.5-liter V6 engine with an impressive 290 HP, but unfortunately this is the only engine Nissan is offering. The Sonata gets a Theta II GDI 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine or a 2.0-liter Theta II turbocharged GDI four-cylinder engine.
The exterior look is pretty impressive
Improved interior look
Just two engine for now