Mercedes has officially unveiled the third generation ML-Class , a model that not only features an impressive exterior and interior design update, but also low fuel consumption and emission figures - about 25% lower than in the previous model.
On the US market, the new ML-Class will be go on sale in September 2011 and will include two models: ML350 4MATIC and ML350 BlueTEC. Both models are powered by a completely reworked 3.0-liter V6 engine delivering two different power figures. The ML350 4 Matic will pump out 302 HP, while the ML350 BlueTec will deliver 240 HP.
Dr Thomas Weber, Member of the Board of Management of Daimler AG for Group Research and Mercedes-Benz Cars development, commented: "The M-Class embodies all the automotive experience that we have accumulated over 125 years and thus represents – in short – a quantum leap in terms of efficiency, safety, agility, driving enjoyment and design!"
UPDATE 07/13/2011: Mercedes USA has announced the prices and option list for the 2012 ML-Class that will go on sale next month. US customers will have to choose between two models: the ML350 4Matic priced at $49,865 and the ML350 BlueTec 4Matic diesel priced at $51,365. Mercedes is also offering a several packages, including a Premium 1 Package ($3,600), a Premium 2 Package (5,450), a Dynamic Handling Package ($5,150), a Lighting Package ($1,290), a Lane Tracking Package ($850), and a Driver Assistance Package ($2,950). Hit the jump for the full price list.
UPDATE 06/20/2012: Mercedes has just added a new version to its ML-Class line-up. The new ML 500 4MATIC BlueEFFICIENCY will only be available in Europe with deliveries to begin in autumn of 2012. The model is priced at €63,050 - about $80k at the current exchange rates. Hit the jump to read more about the new model.
Hit the jump to read more the 2012 Mercedes M-Class.
The third generation brings an optimized design of the front bumper, A-pillars, and the roof spoiler, plus numerous other detailed improvements. Those improvements include sealing around the radiator section, sealed joints between the hood and the headlamps, front wheel spoilers, air outlets in the front wheel well liners, redesigned exterior mirror housings, optimized roof spoiler, underfloor and engine compartment paneling, and aerodynamically optimized light-alloy wheels.
For the front, the M-Class will receive a new radiator grille with a centrally positioned Mercedes star, new styling of the headlamps with LED daytime running lamps set in chrome inserts integrated into the bumpers, and a deeper, broad, chrome-effect skid plate.
On the rear, the Mercedes gets two-part taillights with LED fiber-optic technology and a lowered roof with large roof spoiler and a rear bumper, which features an integrated chrome load sill guard in a new "wing design." The chrome finish of other product features, such as the roof rails, the beltline trim stri,p and the load compartment handle, emphasize the high quality appeal of the exterior. And the final piece is a new set of 19" Twin-Spoke alloy wheels through to 20-inch wheels with an elegant, high-quality appeal.
Starting next year, the US market will also receive an ON&OFFROAD package that uses a range of six transmission modes to optimize driving dynamics and handling safety and to ensure that the necessary drive control is available to cope with the very different driving conditions on and off-road. One automatic mode, two dedicated off-road modes, and three on-road modes are available.
The interior room has been increased so that it now offers more elbow room than its predecessor (1.34 inches more in the front, .98 inches in the rear). The instrument panel receives wood trim that is continued along the doors in a seamless wrap-around effect. Customers will have to choose between four high-quality wood finishes, or aluminum variations.
The door handles and seat adjustment switches have been inset with precision craftsmanship into the side trim. The door center panels feature distinctive decorative stitching, with a separate, exclusive look for the optional Sports package.
There are three colors available for the interior appointments: black, almond beige, and gray. In conjunction with the Sport Interior package, the combination of DINAMICA microfiber and black M-B TEX man-made leather, or premium leather and black two-tone leather is also available.
2013 model year updates
- Active safety further enhanced with the inclusion of COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST (CPA)* with adaptive Brake Assist as standard,
- elegant 5-twin-spoke 48.3 cm (19") alloy wheels,
- all-new 5-spoke 53.3 cm (21") alloy wheels from Mercedes-Benz Accessories
- two gleaming new paint finishes: cavansite blue and cinnabar red optional Active Parking Assist
- electric servo-locking mechanism, which automatically closes all doors and the boot lid
- multicontour seats for driver and front passenger
- cockpit TFT display gets a silver-grey colour scheme
- Bang & Olufsen BeoSound AMG high-end surround sound system
- AMG Exterior Sports package, featuring special body-coloured front apron, rear apron and side skirts, in addition to 48.3 cm(19") 5-spoke high-sheen AMG alloy wheels
- designo Exclusive package in black, maroon or porcelain adds seats, instrument display, door centre panels, door arm rests, beltlines and centre console upholstered in nappa leather, in addition to the designo roof lining in black DINAMICA microfibre.
For the US market, the Mercedes M-Class will include the ML350 4MATIC and ML350 BlueTEC. Both models are powered by a 3.0-liter V6 engine, but deliver two different power outputs. The BlueTEC models uses the innovative TWAS (twinwire- arc spraying) technology that reduces internal friction in the engine significantly. In this version, the engine delivers a total of 240 HP and 455 lbft of torque, with an estimated fuel consumption of 20 city 25 highway.
The 4MATIC model comes with the new BlueDIRECT engine generation. The key is direct gasoline injection system with spray-guided combustion and new piezo injectors that have an injection pressure of 2,900 psi, together with fast, multi-spark ignition and a new combustion process. This model delivers a total of 302 hp and 273 lb-ft of torque and has an estimated fuel economy of 17/22.
The two models will be offered with a new seven-speed automatic transmission with a more fuel-efficient torque converter, friction optimized bearings, and a transmission oil thermal management system. Low-friction axle drives and electromechanical steering also contribute in reducing fuel consumption.
The new ML 500 4MATIC BlueEFFICIENCY
Under the hood of the new ML 500 4MATIC BlueEFFICIENCY, Mercedes has placed a 4663 cc V8 direct injection petrol engine that delivers a total of 408 HP and a peak torque of 442 lbs-ft. Compared to its predecessor this is an improvement of 20 HP and 51 lbs-ft. Also, fuel economy has been improved by 16%.
These impressive results have been achieved thanks to the addition of two exhaust gas turbochargers – one for each bank of cylinders, but also thanks to the third-generation direct fuel injection system with spray-guided combustion and piezo injectors combined with multi-spark ignition.
The new V8 engine is mated to a seven-speed 7G-TRONIC PLUS automatic transmission and sprints the car from 0 to 60 mph in 5.6 seconds and up to a top speed of 155 mph.
On the US market, the new generation Mercedes M-Class will go on sale in September 2011. US customers will have to choose between two models: ML350 4Matic priced at $49,865 and ML350 BlueTec 4Matic diesel priced at $51,365.
Premium 1 Package $3,600
- Rearview Camera
- Power folding, auto dimming mirrors
- Driver memory with Power Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- COMAND System w/ hard-drive navigation & SIRIUS real-time traffic & weather
- iPod / MP3 Media Interface
- SIRIUS Satellite Radio
- 10GB music register
- Enhanced voice control
- Double sun visors
- 115V AC power outlet
Premium 2 Package $5,450
- Premium 1 package contents plus:
- Heated & cooled cup holders*
- harman/kardon LOGIC7® Surround-Sound System w/ Dolby Digital 5.1
- Rear storage compartment
- Multi-color Ambient lighting*
Dynamic Handling Package $5,150
- Adaptive Damping System
- ACTIVE CURVE SYSTEM*
- AIRMATIC Air Suspension
- 20″ Twin 5-spoke Alloy Wheel
Lighting Package $1,290
- Headlamp cleaning system
- Adaptive Highbeam Assist*
- Bi-Xenon headlamps with active curve illumination
- Corner Illuminating lamps
Lane Tracking Package $850
- Blind Spot Assist
- Lane Keeping Assist*
Driver Assistance Package $2,950
- DISTRONIC PLUS with PRE-SAFE® Brake*
- Active Blind Spot Assist*
- Active Lane Keeping Assist*
- Full leather seating ($1,620)
- Burl walnut wood trim (TBD)
- PARKTRONIC w/Active Parking Assist* ($970)
- Wood /Leather multifunction steering wheel ($590)
- Power panorama sunroof* ($1,090)
- Heated steering wheel ($225)
- Trailer hitch ($550)
- Stainless steel running boards w/ rubber studs ($670)
- Rear Seat Entertainment System ($1,970)
- Rear Seat Entertainment System Pre-Wiring ($240)
- Heated rear seats ($620)
- KEYLESS-GO ($650)
The two biggest competitors for the new M-Class will continue to be the BMW X5 and the Audi Q7 . BMW X5 comes with a choice of either a V8 or a straight six-cylinder. The BMW X5 xDrive50i is powered by a V8 petrol engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo that delivers a total of 407 HP, while the X5 xDrive35i is powered by a Straight six-cylinder petrol engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo that delivers a total of 306 HP.
The Audi Q7 is offered with a choice of three new V6 engines (two gasoline and one diesel). The entry level is powered by a supercharged V6 engine that develops a total of 272 HP and 295.02 lb-ft of toque, while the 3.0 TFSI delivers a total of 333 HP and 324.53 lb-ft of torque.
- Improved engines
- Better look
- Impressive interior
- No diesel for the US Market