- Horsepower @ RPM:
- Torque @ RPM:
- 5.5 L
- 0-60 time:
- 4.4 sec.
- Top Speed:
- 155 mph
After debuting the standard CLS Shooting Brake just the other day, Mercedes has also decided to drop the official details of the AMG version - a model built to prove that even station wagons can be sporty and fun. The new CLS 63 AMG Shooting Brake version will go on sale in October 2012 with the first units being sold as the "Edition 1."
Just like the sedan version, the new Shooting Brake model is powered by a 5.5-liter V8 biturbo engine that delivers a total of 525 HP (557 HP if you buy the Edition 1 version) and is mated to a SPEEDSHIFT MCT 7-speed sports transmission. The sprint from 0 to 60 mph will be made in 4.4 seconds (4.3 seconds for the Edition 1). Unfortunately, top speed is still limited to 155 mph.
When compared to a standard CLS Shooting Brake, the AMG version will be distinguished by an AMG front apron, an AMG radiator grille with single slat, an AMG-specific design for the bonnet, an AMG-specific rear apron with a diffuser look, and the AMG sports exhaust system with two chrome twin tailpipes.
UPDATE 08/16/12: Autoweek is reporting that the future Mercedes CLS Shooting Brake will have a starting price of 71,500 euros when equipped with the 250 CDI diesel engine. The CLS 350 CDI Shooting Brake will start from 79,922 euros, while the 4Matic all-wheel drive version is priced at 85,387 euros.
Gas-powered models will start at 79,250 euros for the CLS 350 Shooting Brake and 104,410 euros for the CLS 500 Shooting Brake. The CLS 63 AMG will run potential buyers 104,410 euros for the standard model and 108,990 euros for the version with 4Matic, while the top of the line CLS 63 AMG will cost a cool 146,300 Euros.
Hit the jump for more details on the Mercedes CLS63 AMG Shooting Brake.
Just like all of the other AMG models, the new CLS 63 AMG Shooting Brake will receive a special AMG exterior package that will provide a sportier and more aggressive look. This package will include an AMG front apron with a cross strut finished in high-gloss black, an AMG radiator grille with single slat, and an AMG-specific design for the bonnet. A "V8 Biturbo" logo will remind owners about the powerful engine found under the hood, while an AMG-specific rear apron with diffuser look and the AMG sports exhaust system with two chrome twin tailpipes at the rear will assist the engine in executing true performance.
As an option, Mercedes is offering an AMG Performance Studio that includes:
- AMG Exterior Carbon-Fiber package
- AMG trim elements in carbon fiber/black piano lacquer
- AMG ceramic high-performance composite braking system
- AMG rear axle differential lock
- white Illuminated AMG door sill panels at the front
- lightweight forged AMG light-alloy wheels featuring a 5-twin-spoke design, painted in titanium grey with a high-sheen finish, and fitted with 255/35 R 19 tires at the front and 285/30 R 19 tires at the rear
- AMG light-alloy wheels in a 10-spoke design, painted in matte black with a high-sheen rim flanges, and fitted with 255/35 R 19 tires at the front and 285/30 R 19 tires at the rear
Edition 1 models will further be distinguished by:
- Designo magno allanite grey paint finish
- An increase in power output to 410 kW (557 hp) and torque to 800 Nm
- Designo platinum white pearl leather with metalized finish for the AMG sports seats, armrests in the doors, front and rear center console as well as the door center panels
- AMG trim elements in carbon fiber/black piano lacquer
- Designo roof lining in black DINAMICA microfiber
- Velour floor mats with designo leather surround in platinum white pearl and designo metal badges (only in conjunction with designo platinum white pearl leather upholstery)
For the interior, Mercedes has opted to combine sportiness with luxury by offering AMG sports seats in nappa leather with multi-contour seat and memory functions, AMG black piano lacquer trims, and the AMG-specific analogue clock featuring an IWC design. The cockpit includes an AMG instrument cluster with an AMG main menu with race-timer and an AMG AMG start-up screen. The driver will also enjoy an AMG Performance steering wheel wrapped in nappa leather with a three-spoke design and silver colored aluminum shift paddles.
The luggage compartment can be ordered in a special designo wooden package which includes American cherry wood, a decorative fine wood traditionally used in superior interior design work, high-quality furniture, and exclusive ship outfitting applications.
Additional Designo Package features include:
- Designo metallic paint finish available in three colors
- Designo magno paint finish available in two colors
- Designo leather available in ten colors
- Designo roof lining in DINAMICA microfiber, available in three colors
The Mercedes CLS 63 AMG Shooting Brake is powered by an AMG 5.5-liter V8 biturbo engine that delivers a total of 525 HP and 516 lbs-ft of torque. Customers lucky enough to snag an Edition 1 model will benefit from an increase in power to 557 HP and 590 lbs-ft of torque. As a result, the CLS 63 AMG will sprint from 0 to 60 mph in 4.4 seconds (4.3 seconds for the Edition 1 model), while top speed is limited to 155 mph.
The engine will be mated to an AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT 7-speed sports transmission which offers four driving modes: "S" (Sport), "S+" (Sport plus), and "M" (Manual) to make the engine significantly more responsive, and "Controlled Efficiency" (C) mode where the start-stop function is enabled and helps reduce fuel economy.
The new CLS 63 AMG Shooting Brake will also be offered with an AMG RIDE CONTROL sports suspension, with steel suspension struts on the front axle, air suspension struts on the rear axle, and an AMG high-performance braking system with 360 mm ventilated and perforated brake discs all-round.
The new Mercedes CLS 63 AMG Shooting Brake will go on sale in October 2012. Prices will be announced at a later date.
There aren’t many manufacturers out there that offer high performance station wagons, mainly because they are developed for carrying lots of baggage and not big performance numbers. Still, for the US market, customers can already enjoy the Cadillac CTS-V Sports Wagon - a model powered by a 6.2 liter supercharged V8 engine that delivers a total of 556 hp and 551 lb.-ft. of torque.
Powerful for a station wagon
Edition 1 looks even more impressive
Competition is a bit more powerful