Mercedes unveiled the second generation GL-Class at the 2012 New York Auto Show, and now they have also revealed the most powerful version in the line-up: the GL 63 AMG. This new model will go on sale in November 2012.
Next to a very impressive exterior look, the new GL 63 AMG also features an AMG 5.5-liter V8 biturbo engine that delivers an impressive 557 HP and 560 lbs-ft of torque. The model can sprint from 0 to 60 mph in just 4.9 seconds and goes up to a top speed of 155 mph (electronically limited).
Ola Källenius, Chairman of Mercedes-AMG GmbH: "The new GL 63 AMG completes our performance-oriented all-wheel drive offering. In addition to the ML 63 AMG all-rounder and the recently unveiled, characterful G 63 AMG and G 65 AMG models, the GL 63 AMG places particular emphasis on dynamism and style. Combining the first-rate comfort of the S-Class with the performance of an AMG sports saloon, the GL 63 AMG is unique in its segment."
Updated 11/29/2012: The new generation Mercedes GL 63 AMG made its North American debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show and with this occasion Mercedes has also unveiled the prices for the U.S. market.
Hit the jump to read more about the 2013 Mercedes GL63 AMG.
The new Mercedes GL 63 AMG has been specially designed for those who want an SUV with a powerful, masculine look, but with a powerful dynamism and sporty elegance as well. Its exterior design begins with Merc’s usual GL radiator grille and the central Mercedes star adorned with high-gloss slats painted in black. Since this is an AMG model, it gets a front apron with large openings for perfect engine cooling, bottom air intakes with the typical AMG stylized "A" painted in black, and a matte silver chrome installed under it.
When viewed from the side, the new GL 63 AMG will impress thanks to its imposing 21" AMG light-alloy wheels with wide-base 295 tires, the V8 Biturbo logo placed on the wings, and the illuminated running boards with an aluminum finish.
On the rear, the SUV continues with a few other typical AMG elements like a rear apron adorned with a striking trim insert in matte silver chrome and two chrome-plated, exposed twin tailpipes from the AMG sports exhaust system.
The interior has been designed for big families. A total of seven people will fit perfectly in the car and will enjoy its exclusivity and dynamism. The seven AMG sports seats are covered in high-quality leather and are electronically adjustable. The dashboard, armrests, and door panels are wrapped in ARTICO man-made leather with double top-stitching.
Typical AMG elements include: a 4-spoke steering wheel with perforated leather in the grip area, aluminum shift paddles, and an AMG instrument cluster.
Standard equipment on the GL 63 AMG includes:
- AMG door sill panels in stainless steel
- AMG floor mats
- AMG sports pedals in brushed stainless steel with rubber studs
- Active Parking Assist
- ATTENTION ASSIST
- Bi-xenon headlamps
- Audio 20 CD radio with Bluetooth and USB interface
- COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST
- Electric EASY-ENTRY system in the rear compartment
- Electrically operated EASY-PACK tailgate
- Electric glass tilt/sliding sunroof
- Intelligent Light System (ILS) with new off-road lighting
- Multicontour seats for driver and front passenger including a massage function and Memory package
- Crosswind Assist
- THERMATIC 3-zone automatic climate control
Exclusive optional extras are available from the AMG Performance Studio and include:
- 5-twin-spoke AMG light-alloy wheels (10 x 21 format) painted in titanium grey with a high-sheen finish, fitted with 295/40 R 21 tires
- AMG Performance steering wheel with DINAMICA microfiber in the grip area
- Brake calipers, painted red
The Designo Exclusive package allows the exclusive feel and perceived quality to be enhanced further. This comprises of:
- AMG sports seats in front and bench seats in the second and third rows in designo leather
- Upper and lower section of the dashboard, center console, beltlines, door paneling, door center panels and armrests in the doors in designo leather
- Designo metal badges in the backrests of the front seats and the outer rear seats
- Velour floor mats with designo metal badges and edging in designo black leather
Additional optional extras (selection):
- 360° camera
- Active Lane Keeping Assist and Active Blind Spot Assist
- Trailer coupling with electric unlocking
- Bang & Olufsen BeoSound AMG high-end surround sound system
- Becker MAP PILOT
- Brake Assist BAS PLUS
- DISTRONIC PLUS
- Electrically operated EASY PACK tailgate
- Speed Limit Assist
- PRE-SAFE Brake
The new GL 63 AMG, Mercedes is powered by an AMG 5.5-liter V8 biturbo engine that delivers an impressive 557 HP and 560 lbs-ft of torque. The engine is equipped with spray-guided direct petrol injection, piezo injectors, biturbo charging, air/water intercooling, all-aluminum crankcase, and a four-valve-per-cylinder design with variable camshaft adjustment, plus alternator management and the ECO start/stop system.
The 0 to 60 mph sprint time is made in just 4.9 seconds, allowing the SUV to go up to a top speed of 155 mph (electronically limited), while delivering a fuel economy of 12.3 liters per 100 kilometers (288 g CO2/km).
The engine sends its power to the four wheels by the AMG SPEEDSHIFT PLUS 7G-TRONIC - a transmission that comes with three modes and an automatic double-declutching function for downshifting. The three modes are: "Controlled Efficiency" (C) mode when the ECO start/stop function is active and Sport (S) and Manual (M) when the ECO start/stop function is inactive.
The GL63 AMG will go on sale in the first quarter of 2013 and will carry a $116,925 price tag. That’s a hefty premium over the GL 550’s $86,900 price.
Mercedes says their new GL 63 AMG is unique in its segment, but is this really true? There are plenty of high performance SUVs out there, including the Porsche Cayenne Turbo. It is powered by a 4.8-liter V8 that delivers a total of 500 HP, 57 HP less than the Mercedes model. Then we have the BMW X5M that is powered by a twin-turbo 4.4-liter V8 engine with 555 HP. These figures are rather close to the Mercedes GL63 AMG, leaving us to think that if Mercedes is staking the claim on the high performance SUV market then they either have something up their sleeves or they are just blowing smoke.
Impressive exterior look
Room for seven people
Impressive performance numbers
High performance SUV market is competitive