On the heels of the successful introduction of the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR, Mitsubishi Motors announces the availability of the more technologically-advanced 2008 Lancer Evolution MR, the newest and most sophisticated version of the model series that began 16 years ago.
Shown coming off the production line in Japan, the Lancer Evolution MR arrives at showrooms in the U.S. in June and is available for a suggested retail price of $38,290. The MR features more user technology and a broader market appeal than the entry level GSR, including an advanced 6-speed Twin Clutch Sportronic Shift Transmission.
The Lancer Evolution MR is available with an optional technology package for $40,840 that includes a 30GB hard drive navigation system with music server, 650-watt Rockford-Fosgate Premium Sound System, pre-paid Sirius Satellite Radio capability and FAST Key entry, which allows passive vehicle unlocking and engine start/stop simply by carrying the remote control and grasping the handle.
Since its introduction earlier this year, the tenth-generation 2008 Lancer Evolution GSR has met positive reactions across the industry for maintaining a balance of core performance values and improved all-around capability and user-technology:
- "Like every previous Lancer Evolution, the Evo X redeems its various idiosyncrasies with a fantastic engine and drivetrain." — Automobile "The car is impressive, not only for the gains in performance and handling, but also the subtle transformation from hardcore rally racer to high performance all-wheel-drive sports sedan." - AutoWeek
- "The Evo X drives like nothing else in the world." — Car and Driver
- "Mitsubishi has strengthened the Evo’s slick-shifting five-speed manual for the tuner crowd. Shifter is nearly perfect." — Edmunds Inside Line
- "Whether manual tabbed or left in auto, S-Sport gear changes are brutally quick with the kind of shift violence seen only in Italian exotics." — MotorTrend
- "Is the new EVO better than before? — The answer is a resounding ’yes.’" — MSN Autos
- "Bottom line: It’s drive-by-the-seat-of-your-pants, four-wheel fun." — Popular Mechanics
- "The new Lancer Evolution is no longer just for weekend boy racers; it has evolved into a complete sports sedan, one with enough of a wild side to thrill anyone." — Road & Track
"The introduction of the 2008 Lancer Evolution MR with TC-SST gives us an opportunity to expand upon the existing Evolution customer base," said Dan Kuhnert, executive vice president of sales and marketing for MMNA. "The added capability and functionality of the new Lancer Evolution vehicles make them a more viable option for everyday driving, while maintaining the rally-inspired heritage that has made the series a global performance car icon."
Both 2008 Lancer Evolution models will be on display at the 2008 Mitsubishi Owner’s Day taking place in Cypress, CA on July 19, 2008.