Mitsubishi has just unveiled the 2014 Outlander at the 2012 Los Angeles Auto Show. The 2014 Outlander will receive an updated exterior and a new engine, featuring a new version of Mitsubishi’s advanced MIVEC continuously-variable valve lift timing system for increased fuel economy. According to Mitsubishi these updates will make the new Outlander the most fuel-efficient CUVs with standard 7-passenger seating in the North American market.
The 2014 Outlander has received a fresh new contemporary face that is both appealing and functional with reduced aerodynamic drag. The SUV is also 200 pounds lighter than the current Outlander. The 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander will go on sale in 2013 and will be offered in three trim levels: ES, Se and GT.
Under the hood Mitsubishi has placed a choice of either a 2.4-liter 4-cylinder engine or a 3.0-liter V-6 engine combined with either a continuously-variable transmission or a 6-speed automatic transmission.
Updated 11/28/2012: This review has been updated with the official details, images and specs.
The 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander will feature a fresh new face that is both appealing and functional. To boot, it also boasts reduced aerodynamic drag. The most impressive feature on this upcoming SUV is the streamlined front fascia and the SUV’s more urbane design that emphasizes aerodynamic efficiency as much as eye-catching appeal. All the updates have made the next-generation Outlander 7 percent more aerodynamically efficient than the previous Outlander, but also 200 pounds lighter.
The Outlander’s interior has also been significantly improved with ergonomic and aesthetic updates, but also improved comfort and quality. The SUV has received new soft-touch instrument panel, an eye-catching gloss black center waterfall and lovely wood grain trim.
The seats on the 2nd and 3rd row seating sections can be folded and allow up to 128.6 cubic-feet of passenger room. Customers will also receive lots of standard equipment, like: a high-resolution meter cluster, air conditioning with micron filter, a dynamic-sounding 6 speaker AM/FM/CD/MP3 audio system, privacy glass, cruise control, tilt and telescopic steering column, and a newly designed steering wheel.
Standard safety features include
- a 7 airbag Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) including side curtain airbags, driver’s knee airbag,
- a completely redesigned new airbag for the driver’s seat;
- a new Brake Pedal Recession Protection Structure to reduce driver leg injury in the event of a high-speed frontal impact;
enhanced pedestrian protection with the redesigned hood and front fenders;
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS);
- Active Stability Control (ASC) with Traction Control Logic (TCL);
- Hill Start Assist (HSA);
- anti-lock brakes (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD);
- an all-new ultra-rigid chassis that benefits from the most advanced form of Mitsubishi’s RISE (Reinforced Impact Safety Evolution) impact-absorbing safety cell technology ever.
Major Standard Features (ES Model)
- 6 speaker AM/FM/CD/MP3 player audio system
- Reduced-weight body
- RISE (Reinforced Impact Safety Evolution) chassis safety cell construction
- 3rd row fold-flat seating
- Air conditioning with micron filter
- Heating ducts for 2nd row passengers
- Electric assist power steering
- Anti-theft engine immobilizer
- Anti-theft alarm system
- Halogen headlamps
- Dual-stage front air bag SRS with front passenger occupant sensors, curtain side air bags, driver’s knee air bag, and front seat mounted side-impact air bags
- Power windows and door locks
- Tilt & telescopic steering wheel
- Remote keyless entry
- Cruise control
- Intermittent rear wiper with washer
- Anti-lock brakes (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD)
- Active Stability Control (ASC) with Traction Control Logic (TCL)
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- Hill Start Assist (HSA)
- Speed-sensitive windshield wipers
- Privacy glass
SE adds over ES:
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
- FUSE Handsfree Link system™ with USB/iPod™ port
- 140-Watt Digital HD Radio/CD audio system with MP3 playback capability and 6-inch touch-panel display audio screen
- High contrast meter with full color MID-display
- Heated front seats
- FAST key passive entry system with push button on/off engine switch
- Rearview camera system
- Automatic dual-zone climate control
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- Fog lamps
- Available Super All-Wheel Control (S-AWC) all-wheel drive with Active Front Differential (AFD)
GT adds over SE:
- 3.0-liter V-6 MIVEC engine
- 6-speed automatic transmission with steering wheel paddle shifters
- Super All-Wheel Control (S-AWC) with Active Front Differential (AFD)
- Super-wide beam High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlights
- SiriusXM™ satellite radio
- Rain-sensing windshield wiper system
- Exterior chrome beltline accent
- Wood grain appearance trim
The GT version is powered by a 3.0-liter V-6 MIVEC engine that delivers a total of 224 horsepower at 6,250 rpm and 215 pound-feet of torque at 3,750 rpm. This engine is mated to a refined 6-speed automatic transmission.
Also, all models will be offered with a new driver-activated ECO-mode setting that helps to further reduce fuel consumption.
| Wheelbase: || 105.1 in. |
| Length: || 183.3 in. |
| Height: || 66.1 in. |
| Width: || 70.9 in. |
| Engine: || 2.4-liter aluminum SOHC MIVEC 4-cylinder engine (ES or SE model) |
| Horsepower: || 166 @ 6000 rpm |
| Torque: || 162 lb.-ft. @ 4200 rpm |
| Transmission: || Continuously-variable transmission (CVT) |
| Fuel Economy: ||EPA fuel mileage rating TBD |
| Engine: || 3.0-liter aluminum SOHC MIVEC 6-cylinder engine (GT model) |
| Horsepower: || 224 @ 6250 rpm |
| Torque: || 215 lb.-ft. @ 3750 rpm |
| Transmission: || 6-speed automatic transmission (6AT) |
| Fuel Economy: || EPA fuel mileage rating TBD |
The 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander will be put on sale later in 2013. Prices will be announced at a later date.
The 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander will take on models like Kia Sportage or Hyundai Tucson. The next-generation Sportage will be offered with a choice of both diesel and gasoline engines, while the Tucson will be offered with a Theta II GDI 2.4 Liter DOHC inline four cylinder engine that delivers a total of 176 horsepower.
Lighter, more fuel efficient
Two engines to choose from
Lots of safety features
Looks kind of nasty
Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. (MMNA) is set to launch a pair of exciting new vehicles – the North American debut of the 2014 Outlander and the eye-catching 2013 Outlander Sport Limited Edition – at the upcoming Los Angeles Auto Show during the Mitsubishi Motors press conference to be held at 10:35 AM on Thursday, November 29, 2012.
Featuring a fresh new design direction that emphasizes exterior aerodynamic efficiency accompanied by a new engine equipped with a new version of our advanced MIVEC continuously-variable valve lift timing system for increased fuel economy, the all-new 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander will be among the most fuel-efficient compact CUV with 7-passenger seating as standard. Along with a new upscale interior design and new technologically-advanced features including Forward Collision Mitigation (FCM), Lane Departure Warning (LDW) and Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), the sharply-styled all-new 2014 Outlander elevates the level of efficiency, safety, comfort and convenience in the value-oriented compact SUV segment.
Joining its larger sibling at the 2012 Los Angeles Auto Show is the 2013 Outlander Sport Limited Edition that commemorates Mitsubishi Motors’ arrival in North America 30 years ago and is arguably the most dynamic-looking compact crossover vehicle available in the segment with its blackout side mirrors, center bumper, wheel arch trim and roof rails, along with dark-chrome alloy wheels and "Limited Edition" badging. A new engine balancer shaft provides quicker and smoother acceleration for increased performance feel to match the model’s muscular new looks while maintaining the vehicle’s outstanding 31 mpg highway. Rounding out the package are a new 6-way adjustable power driver seat, aluminum brake and accelerator pedals, leather parking brake lever and available special two-tone Dove Grey and Black leather seating surfaces.
Along with the all-new 2014 Outlander and 2013 Outlander Sport Limited Edition, Mitsubishi will also highlight other important company developments during the presentation at the 2012 Los Angeles Auto Show.