Mitsubishi ’s product offensive and commitment to the American market took a very public step recently with comments from top company executives quoted in the Detroit Free Press indicating the 2015 Galant and a possible Montero Sport replacement are in the cards after years of being missing in action.
The latest hints from the secretive company presage what many experts predict to be a surprise reveal of the production-ready Galant sedan concept at the 2013 Tokyo Auto Show starting November 22nd of this year.
The new 2015 Galant is expected to soften some of the sharpest corners of the 2008 Mitsubishi Concept ZT pictured here, as well as insert the Outlander ’s sophisticated gasoline, diesel and hybrid powertrain choices to ready the car for sale.
Replacing the once-stylish U.S.-market Galant as well as the unloved Diamante that stopped production after the 2012 model year, the new sports sedan is charged with filling the void above the company’s brand-new 2014 Mirage and Outlander Sport . Prices start at a projected $26,000 up to $35,000 for the plug-in hybrid model, with the car’s arrival in U.S. showrooms in summer 2014 expected.
The dimensions of the next Galant are expected to match the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry , as the car aims to be Mitsu’s key large sedan model across a variety of markets in Asia, Australia, EMEA and the Americas.
Click past the jump for the speculative preview of the 2015 Mitsubishi Galant, with high-res images of the Concept ZT whose styling forms the template for this hot upcoming model.
The styling of the Concept ZT offers all the drama and presence of the top luxury marks, and even shares the long and luxurious proportions of the upcoming Cadillac CTS from some angles. The concept’s 110.8-inch wheelbase and luxury-size overall length and width are actually spot on the dimensions of the plus-sized latest Accord and Camry.
The concept’s aluminum space frame chassis is dropped for production in favor of a high-strength steel design that brings more cabin room and a bench seat for three in back, versus two for the tech-laced ZT’s rear bucket seats.
The shield grille design will carry over to production to help give the Mitsubishi sedan some of the planted stance from its Lancer Evolution sibling. The production Galant is expected to keep the chrome-trimmed, full-frame trapezoidal grille of the Evo but make it wider and a bit more flowing to match the bumper and fender graphics. A painted middle bumper breaks up the shape, while concave gloss black grille bars create a cohesive and upmarket image.
A single shoulder crease will wrap the styling of the body sides and slow directly into the lamp and bumpers as on the latest Outlander ’s exterior. Proportions of the production Galant will take a step toward mainstream versus the concept, with a less-raked rear glasshouse as well as more feasible side mirrors and wheels.
Out back, integrated exhaust finishers are expected in the techno-sharp bumper design, while the Outlander Sport -syle LED taillights wrap the boxed trunk shape in a premium and futuristic way. Integrated creasing to wrap the lights and bumper should offer an end point to the long shoulder-line that flows from the front.
2015 Mitsubishi Galant Preview – Exterior Dimensions (Est Based On Concept ZT):
|Wheelbase (in.)||110.8, Est|
|Length (in.)||194.9, Est|
|Width (in.)||71.7, Est|
|Height (in.)||56.7, Est|
|Track - Front (in.)||61.2, Est|
|Track - Rear (in.)||61.2, Est|
|Weight (Pounds)||3634, Est|
|Drag Coefficient||0.31, Est|
The interior of the Mitsubishi Outlander pictured above offers the best guidance for the production Galant’s cabin design. The Galant is expected to mirror the latest Outlander ’s single binnacle style, with a high-mounted central touchscreen living in a piano-black housing.
The climate controls live on the lower edge of this high-mounted vertical control face, with cup holders and gearstick in a separate center console below.
The Galant may trade the front-mounted cup holders for a wider console, but overall styling will keep the new high-quality black plastics used elsewhere in the Outlander . Build quality and durability should be excellent, but standard equipment will include cloth seats and a conventional radio unit.
Many of the Outlander ’s active safety features are expected to be offered on the Galant, including collision prevention and active cruise control.
Fitting the Outlander’s large PHEV battery in the Galant will present a challenge, possibly including a trunk as small as the Accord Plug-In Hybrid at 8 cubic-feet . (About half what a large trunk usually offers).
2015 Mitsubishi Galant Preview – Interior Dimensions:
|Front Seating Capacity||2|
|Rear Seating Capacity||3|
2015 Mitsubishi Galant Preview – Standard Interior Features (Estimates Based On Mitsubishi Outlander ):
- 6 speaker AM/FM/CD/MP3 player audio system
- Air conditioning with micron filter
- Heating ducts for 2nd row passengers
- Electric assist power steering
- Remote keyless entry: Anti-theft engine immobilizer; Anti-theft alarm system
- Halogen headlamps
- Power windows and door locks
- Tilt & telescopic steering wheel
- Cruise control
- Intermittent rear wiper with washer
- Speed-sensitive windshield wipers
Galant SE adds over Galant ES:
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
- FUSE Handsfree Link system with USB/iPod port
- 140-Watt Digital HD Radio/CD audio system with MP3 playback capability and 6-inch touch-panel display audio screen
- High contrast meter with full color MID-display
- Heated front seats
- FAST key passive entry system with push button on/off engine switch
- Rearview camera system
- Automatic dual-zone climate control
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- Fog lamps
- Available Super All-Wheel Control (S-AWC) all-wheel drive with Active Front Differential (AFD)
Galant GT – Additional Features:
- 3.0-liter V-6 MIVEC engine
- 6-speed automatic transmission with steering wheel paddle shifters
- Super All-Wheel Control (S-AWC) with Active Front Differential (AFD)
- Super-wide beam High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlights
- SiriusXM satellite radio
- Rain-sensing windshield wiper system
- Exterior chrome beltline accent
- Wood appearance trim
Drivetrain, Suspension and Brakes
While diesel engines, a plug-in hybrid and the TC-SST gearbox all made appearances on future Mitsu sedan concepts recently, the U.S.-market Galant will launch with conventional gasoline engines that mirror the Outlander . The base 166-horsepower 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine is paired with a CVT automatic for a projected 9.1 second sprint to 60 mph but highway cruising economy at a projected 31 mpg.
The Galant GT (using the trim descriptions from the Outlander ) will offer a smooth-revving aluminum V-6 displacing 3.0 liters. The 224-horsepower engine brings a conventional six-speed automatic for a quicker pace at all speeds, down to a 7.5-second projected 60 mph sprint time for this top engine.
Mitsubishi’s S-AWC all-wheel-drive system is compatible with this platform and makes sense on the GT trim level, with added performance and all-weather confidence. Its inclusion in the American-market Galant is not yet confirmed.
Hybrid power is possible a year or so after the car’s initial launch, with possible mild hybrid and full plug-in hybrid variants available. Mitsubishi is keen to leverage its expertise from the i-MiEV program across its core models, with even the next Evo tipped for electrification.
2015 Mitsubishi Galant Preview – Mechanical Details (Estimates Based On 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander):
|Trim Level||Galant ES and Galant SE||Galant GT|
|Engine Size and Type||2.4-liter 16-valve I-4 With SOHC And Mivec VVT, Est||3.0-liter 24-valve V-6 With SOHC And Mivec VVT|
|Peak power (Horsepower)||166 @ 6000, Est||224 @ 6250|
|Peak torque (Pound-feet)||162 @ 4200, Est||215 @ 3750|
|0-to-60 mph||9.1 seconds, Est||7.5 seconds, Est|
|Top Speed (mph)||122, Est||130, Est|
|EPA Fuel Economy MPG (City/Combined/Highway)||26/28/31, Est||21/26/28, Est|
The safety of the future Galant will be top notch, with advanced chassis design and numerous helpful safety features to keep occupants from harm.
2015 Mitsubishi Galant Preview – Standard Safety Features:
- Reduced-weight body; RISE (Reinforced Impact Safety Evolution) chassis safety cell construction
- Dual-stage front air bag SRS with front passenger occupant sensors, curtain side air bags, driver’s knee air bag, and front seat mounted side-impact air bags
- 7 airbag Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) including side curtain airbags, driver’s knee airbag, a completely redesigned new airbag for the driver’s seat
- Brake Pedal Recession Protection Structure to reduce driver leg injury in the event of a high-speed frontal impact; enhanced pedestrian protection with the redesigned hood and front fenders
- Anti-lock brakes (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD)
- Active Stability Control (ASC) with Traction Control Logic (TCL)
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- Hill Start Assist (HSA)
The future Galant’s pricing are projected to start in the mid $20,000s and head upward to $31,000 for the V-6 GT models. The car is tipped to arrive in American dealer lots next summer summer as a 2015 model year.
The latest Mazda6 blends premium styling and proportions with advanced powertrains and light-weight chassis designs. The result is a handling enthusiasm that makes the Mazda6 a world away from the boring-to-drive Altima or Camry. The Mazda 6 blends low-roof styling with a large back seat, something that may rank it ahead of the Mitsubishi Galant’s unknown rear legroom tally.
The Buick Regal offers finely-honed European performance dynamics and some sutble styling refinements for 2014. The base Regal engine are now the eAssist four-banger or the potent turbocharged version that was previously a GS exclusive. The new turbo outputs in the base Regal mean this is a desirable hot rod once again.
Gallery Buick Regal
Nailing enthusiast imaginations with a gorgeous concept is not nearly as hard as delivering a compelling production car based on that concept’s shape. We’ve all seen dozens of potential masterpieces fall apart when moving from styling concept to production reality.
Unfortunately, even the curvy Outlander looked far better as a concept, which does not bode well for Mitsu’s ability to bring the Concept-ZT’s style forward without major simplifications. Even so, the gorgeous grille and pinched headlights finally look set to bring some of the Evolution ’s road presence to the mainstream Galant.
With flexible and efficient engines, the next Galant is shaping up to be nice looking, nice to drive and comfy for passengers. Stay tuned for all the latest updates on the future Mitsubishi Galant.
|Driving||B||Above-Average Outlander Refinement Is A Good Indicator Of Future Galant Smoothness|
|Performance||B-||Unremarkable Engines Not Very Quick Or Efficient Without Hybrid Option|
|Look||A-||Hopefully Production Galant Shares Concept ZT’s Gorgeous Lines|
|Value||B||Unknown Pricing And Equipment But Good Build Quality Expected|
|Overall||B||Future Galant Will Be Big News For Sporty Sedan Shoppers|
- Concept looks would make Accord and Camry buyers think twice
- Outlander infotainment and piano-black trim are very modern cabin touches
- Possible AWD and U.S.-market diesels are not as likely as Plug-in Hybrid for 2016
- Fingers crossed on production Galant’s appearance, but ingredients are all there for success
- Base engine and CVT will be a lackluster combination
- Optional V-6 engine lacks torque of turbo competition like Buick Regal
Gallery Mitsubishi Galant
The Concept-ZT showcases an advanced level of driving pleasure, safety and environmental responsibility - Mitsubishi Motor’s vehicle strategy - wrapped in a realistic package. Under the hood, a newly developed fuel-efficient, 2.2-liter clean diesel engine is mated to the new Twin Clutch SST (Sport Shift Transmission). Concept-ZT also features advanced active safety as well as passive safety technology, such as its pop-up hood.
ZT: "Z" meaning the ultimate, plus "T" for Tourer
By combining a high-powered, fuel-efficient, 2.2-liter clean diesel engine and Twin Clutch SST, and using significant quantities of Green Plastic in the interior, a high level of running and environmental performance is achieved.
Moreover, equipped with the S-AWC system combining front E-LSD (Electric control - Limited Slip Differential), ABS and ASC, based on Mitsubishi Motors’ 4WD electronic control system, the MITSUBISHI Concept-ZT is a premium sedan that possesses dramatically improved driving, environmental and safety performance.
The basic exterior form, simple and flowing with a low center of gravity, yields a sense of stability and sportiness fitting Mitsubishi Motors’ premier sedan This base is combined with a powerful shoulder line, substantial side panels and projecting fenders. Sculptured headlights, grill and aluminum wheels proclaim quality and status created out of "Japanese" sensitivity - a sophisticated and adult sensibility.
In the interior, the goal was a level of "hospitality" that would resonate with all the senses of the occupants. Combinations of designs with clear contrasts - simple forms with overall continuity gently embrace passengers and precise, hard functional parts - express the melding of quality, comfort and the pleasure of driving. Meters and monitors are of clear materials, futuristically stacked, with the beauty of industrial art.
Minute quantities of a new reflective material add elegance to the body color. In combination with decorative parts, including wheels and grill, a radiant presence is realized with a sense of quality and refinement, like jeweled layers of precious metals. Interior colors are a combination of grained black wood, metal and leather, making maximum use of materials expressing boldness, sophistication and grace.
The concept’s powerplant is a newly developed 2.2-liter 4-cylinder DOHC, 16-valve with VD (Variable Diffuser)/VG (Variable Geometry) clean turbodiesel engine with common-rail direct fuel injection (piezoelectric injector) that delivers a maximum output of 140 kW and maximum torque of 400 Nm.
The power unit is mated to Mitsubishi’s new Twin Clutch SST, which delivers superior power transmission efficiency in a powertrain that realizes smooth, responsive, effortless power and acceleration, whether on the highway or in urban areas, together with good fuel economy. The S-AWC system combines front E-LSD (Electric control - Limited Slip Differential), ABS and ASC with the 4WD electronic control system also used in Outlander and Delica D:5. This optimally controls driving force, traction and braking at all four wheels, and provides stable driving on various road surfaces under various conditions, realizing a pleasurable and safe driving experience.
Safety Technology/Driving Assistance Technology
- Pre-crash Safety System: Using millimeter-length radar waves, the system detects cars far ahead as well as obstacles in the adjacent lane. When it determines that objects near the car are too close and there is danger of a collision, it warns the driver to take action. If the system determines that the possibility of a collision is nevertheless quite high, it pretensions seat belts and activates crash-restraint seat cushions to increase passenger restraint, and initiates emergency braking to reduce the impact of an imminent collision.
- Lane-Drift Warning System: The system consists of a front camera, steering angle sensor, speed sensor, yaw rate sensor and ECU. The front camera recognizes lane markings (white lines, etc.), and the system, based on information from the other sensors, calculates the possibility of the vehicle drifting out of its lane, warns the driver, and adds steering torque in the direction such that the car stays within the lane.
- Pop-Up Hood: If the car should hit a pedestrian, the hood pops up before the person’s head strikes the hood, acting as a buffer and minimizing injury to the head.
- New All-Around Multi-Monitors: In addition to a nose-view camera and a rear-view camera, cameras with extremely wide-angle lenses are positioned at the left and right sides. Optical distortions of the images from the four cameras are corrected, and the information is converted into a display of the situation all around the car as seen from the top - thus enabling clear confirmation by the driver. The nose camera is also part of the proximity-detection function for approaching objects.
- Parking Assistance System: A distance sensor, embedded in the bumper, assesses the space available for parking. If parking is possible, the system will automatically maneuver the wheels (steering) while all the driver must do is control braking
- Overall length 4,950 [mm]
- Overall width 1,820 [mm]
- Overall height 1,440 [mm]
- Wheelbase 2,815 [mm]
- Track (F/R) 1,555/1,555 [mm]
- Seating capacity 4
- Engine Clean diesel engine
- Max. output 140kW
- Max. torque 400 Nm
- Transmission Twin Clutch SST
- Tires 255/35R20