The new 2007 Nissan Maxima, which is scheduled to go on sale in early summer 2006, elevates Maxima’s position as Nissan’s flagship sedan with a redesigned exterior, a greatly refined interior and the addition of new, available technology features. Another significant change is the adoption of the smooth, efficient Nissan Xtronic CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) in place of a traditional automatic transmission design on all models.
An Enhanced Exterior
Key changes and enhancements for the 2007 Maxima begin with the redesigned exterior, which evolves the classic Maxima performance coupe-like silhouette with its wedge-shaped front, broad arched beltline, distinctive C-pillar design with extensions and high rear deck.
The 2007 Maxima’s new front grille, hood, bumper and headlights give the front end a more contemporary appearance, balancing the sporty look of the deep front valance and large wheel openings. The headlights now include built-in cornering lights, while the fog lights have been moved to the front bumper. Xenon headlights are optional on the 3.5 SE and standard on the 3.5 SL model.
Other exterior changes include the use of more aggressive side sills and a more prominent rear spoiler (standard on the SE model), a new rear bumper design with available Rear Sonar System and redesigned dual tailpipe finishers.
Maxima’s dynamic performance stance is accented by new 17-inch (3.5 SL) and 18-inch (3.5 SE) 7-spoke aluminum-alloy wheels.
The 2007 Maxima is available in a choice of eight exterior colors: Winter Frost, Super Black, Majestic Blue, Sonoma Sunset and new colors Radiant Silver, Pebble Beach, Precision Gray and Dark Slate.
A New, Refined Interior
Maxima’s interior enhancements are equally aggressive, adding a higher level of quality, luxury and sportiness to match the revised exterior. The instrument panel features a redesigned center stack with improved control ergonomics and a new Fine Vision Meter gauge display for easier readability. The number of buttons and controls has been reduced and the Human Machine Interface (HMI) enhanced with a more intuitive feeling.
Comfort and convenience additions include standard Intelligent Key and auxiliary input jack and available 6-disc in-dash CD autochanger with mp3 capability.
The seats offer larger shoulder bolsters and a new, sporty sew pattern and the sliding center armrest has been redesigned for greater comfort and convenience. Simulated leather door panels and cowl finisher replace fabric surfaces on models with leather-appointed seats (standard on 3.5 SL, optional on 3.5 SE) and integrated chromed accents have been added to the transmission shift lever plate and door panels. Brushed aluminum trim is used on areas of the 3.5 SE, while a new wood tone trim is utilized on the 3.5 SL.
"The Maxima interior has a more upscale appearance, without losing any of its traditional sporty character," said Bradshaw. "It delivers on the promise of driver-oriented performance, but adds more comfort for the passengers, a higher overall quality feel and more advanced features."
The 2007 Maxima again offers a standard SkyView glass-paneled roof, which creates an open environment for front and rear passengers while maintaining a solid roof structure. The SkyView is a single elongated rectangular-shaped glass panel that stretches from the front of the roof to the back and comes with sliding sunshades to block out sunlight when desired. A traditional power sliding glass sunroof is optionally available in place of the SkyView.
Other interior features include illuminated steering wheel controls, available factory-installed satellite radio and available Bluetooth Hands-Free Phone System. The Bluetooth system helps the driver to maintain focus on the road ahead without the distraction often met with hand held cell phone usage.
Maxima also offers a dot-matrix center display screen (non-Navigation System) that provides HVAC, audio system and trip computer functions in one central location, dual-zone automatic temperature control, rear air conditioning vents, sun visors with vanity mirrors and leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, standard 8-way power driver’s seat (4-way power passenger seat on 3.5 SL) with available entry/exit feature.
Also available is a Bose premium audio system with 8 speakers, AM/FM/6-disc in-dash CD changer, speed-sensitive auto volume control and available Nissan DVD-based navigation system with 7-inch color display. Heated front seats are standard on 3.5 SL and optionally available on 3.5 SE.
Three interior colors are offered again for 2007: Café Latté, Frost and Charcoal.
A Tradition of Exhilarating Performance
The heart of the new Maxima remains its powerful, award-winning 3.5-liter DOHC 24-valve V6 engine, now rated at 255 horsepower and 252 lb-ft of torque.
The engine features a modular engine design with microfinished crank journals and cam lobes, molybdenum coated lightweight pistons, a resin intake collector, digital knock control, six individual coils (one per spark plug) and a cross-flow coolant pattern. Also utilized are Continuously Variable Valve Timing Control (CVTCS), variable induction system, a silent timing chain and electronically controlled throttle.
All 2007 Maximas come equipped with a standard Xtronic CVT with manual mode, which is a sportier version of the unit utilized on the Nissan Murano . The Xtronic CVT is designed to create a true synergy between engine and transmission with smooth, responsive and efficient operation.
Nissan remains the industry leader in CVTs, with three separate CVT designs in production. More than just the efficiency advantages of CVT over conventional automatic transmissions, CVTs offers owners, as studies of Murano drivers have shown, real benefits in terms of smooth, responsive, trouble-free performance. CVTs will also be offered in the 2007 Altima, Sentra and Versa.
The 2007 Maxima also features a standard Traction Control System (TCS) and optional Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC).
Maxima’s responsive handling comes from a 4-wheel independent suspension design. The strut front suspension features coil springs and stabilizer bar, while the multi-link independent rear suspension offers outstanding stability by minimizing camber change during cornering. The rear shocks and springs are separated for reduced friction and the shock is in line with the center of the rear wheels, providing better damping and less harshness.
Braking is provided by standard 4-wheel disc brakes with a 4-channel, 4-sensor, 4-wheel Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist (BA). Steering is an engine-speed-sensitive power rack-and-pinion design.
The 3.5 SE model offers standard 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels and V-rated P245/45R18 tires. Maxima 3.5 SL features 17-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with H-rated P225/55R17 tires.
Advanced Safety Features
The 2007 Maxima comes equipped with standard Advanced Air Bag System (AABS) with dual-stage front supplemental air bags, front seat side-impact supplemental air bags for chest protection) and roof-mounted curtain side-impact air bags for front and rear outboard occupant head protection.
Also standard are front-seat Active Head Restraints, 3-point rear seat belts for all seating positions, front seat belts with adjustable upper anchors, pretensioners and load limiters, emergency inside trunk release, Zone Body construction with front and rear crushable zones, LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) child seat anchors and tether system and Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS).
Models and Options
The 2007 Maxima is available in two well-equipped models, the 3.5 SE and 3.5 SL.
A number of options and packages are available, including a Premium Audio Package, with a Bose audio system with 8 speakers and AM/FM/6CD, RDS, speed sensitive volume control and pre-wired for satellite radio; Sensory Package which includes the Premium Audio Package, plus leather-appointed seats, 4-way power passenger seat, heated front seats and mirrors and digital compass.
Also offered are the Driver Preferred Package (3.5 SE) with Sensory Package contents, plus Bluetooth Hands-Free Phone System, xenon headlights, Driver Memory System (memory driver’s seat, power tilt/telescopic steering wheel with memory, auto-dimming outside memory mirrors with auto tilt down in reverse), driver seat power lumbar support, power entry/exit seat, heated steering wheel and Rear Sonar; and Driver Preferred Package (3.5 SL) with Sensory Package contents, plus Driver memory System, Bluetooth Hands-Free Phone System, power tilt/telescopic steering wheel with memory, auto-dimming outside memory mirrors with auto tilt down in reverse , driver seat power lumbar support, power entry/exit seat, heated steering wheel and Rear Sonar.
Available options include a DVD Navigation System with 7-inch color LCD display, a Power Glass Sunroof (replaces SkyView), Satellite Radio (XM or Sirius providers), Bluetooth Hands-Free Phone System and Vehicle Dynamic Control.
The new 2007 Maxima is assembled by Nissan North America Manufacturing Smyrna & Decherd Tennessee Plant.
At a Glance: 2007 Nissan Maxima
The Nissan Maxima, since its introduction as a 1981 model, has enjoyed a position as both the flagship Nissan sedan and a “cut above” premium 4-door sports sedan in class. For 2007, the sixth generation Maxima continues to live on the cutting edge, with a redesigned exterior, a refined premium interior, intuitive next generation technology features and the adoption of standard, performance-based Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) on all models.
Key changes and enhancements for 2007 begin with the redesigned exterior, which features a new front grille, hood, headlights, front and rear bumpers, and more aggressive side sills. Other exterior changes include a more prominent rear spoiler (standard on the SE model), new 17-inch and 18-inch 7-spoke aluminum-alloy wheels, redesigned quad tailpipe finishers and fog lights in place of the previous cornering lights. Maxima’s unique SkyView glass paneled roof continues in 2007 as standard equipment.
Maxima’s interior enhancements are equally aggressive, adding a higher level of quality, luxury and sportiness to match the refined exterior. The instrument panel features a redesigned center stack with improved control ergonomics and a new Fine Vision gauge display for easier readability. The seats offer larger shoulder bolsters and a new, sporty sew pattern and the sliding center armrest has been redesigned for greater comfort and convenience. The use of upgraded materials includes real aluminum accents and available perforated leather on SE models. Comfort and convenience additions include a new Intelligent Key, auxiliary AV input jack, available CD autochanger with mp3 playback capability, new center console box design and available reverse sensor with audible warning.
The heart of the new Maxima remains its powerful, award-winning 3.5-liter DOHC 24-valve V6 engine, now rated at 255 horsepower and 252 lb-ft of torque.
The 2007 Maxima is offered in two models, the 3.5 SE and 3.5 SL, and offers a wide range of premium luxury equipment, including available factory-installed satellite radio Bluetooth Hands-Free Phone System, outside dual auto-dimming mirrors with auto-tilt down in reverse, and DVD-based navigation system with 7-inch color display.
The new Maxima goes on sale in early summer 2006. Highlights of the 2007 Maxima include:
- Chiseled, muscular shape with pronounced character lines and distinctive C-pillar design
- Revised front end design with new grille, hood, headlights (with built-in cornering lights), bumper and fog lights
- Restyled side sills, new rear bumper design with available rear sonar system
- Available auto on/off xenon headlights (standard on 3.5 SL)
- Dual exhaust with four ports and redesigned chrome finishers
- Chrome-colored accents on roof moldings
- Available dual auto-dimming outside mirrors with auto-tilt down in reverse
- Standard SkyView glass paneled roof, available power sliding glass sunroof (in place of SkyView)
- UV reducing solar glass
- Eight exterior colors, with four new colors for 2007: Radiant Silver, Pebble Beach, Precision Gray and Dark SlateNew Chestnut exterior color
Engine and Driveline
- Front engine/front-wheel drive
- 3.5-liter DOHC 24-valve V6 producing 255 horsepower and 252 lb-ft torque
- Engine features include electronic throttle, silent timing chain, microfinished camshaft and crankshaft surfaces, molybdenum coated pistons, resin intake collector, digital knock control system, cross flow coolant pattern and high capacity muffler
- Platinum-tipped spark plugs with 100,000-mile maintenance intervals
- Standard Nissan Xtronic Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) with manual mode
- Traction Control System (TCS) standard on all models
- Available Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC)
Suspension, Steering and Braking
- Independent strut front suspension with coil springs and stabilizer bar
- Multi-link independent rear suspension for superior handling and ride comfort
- 4-wheel power-assisted disc brakes, standard 4-wheel Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist (BA)
- Engine-speed-sensitive power rack-and-pinion steering system
- Restyled 7-spoke, 17-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with P225/55H17 tires on 3.5 SL
- Restyled 7-spoke, 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with P245/45V18 tires on 3.5 SE
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- Five-passenger seating with luxury cloth or leather-appointed seats (perforated on 3.5 SE) and 60/40 split fold-down rear bench with lock
- Illuminated steering wheel switches
- Standard 8-way power driver’s seat (4-way power passenger seat on 3.5 SL) with available entry/exit feature
- Standard audio system with 8 speakers and AM/FM/CD with steering wheel-mounted controls on 3.5 SE
- Available Bose premium audio system with 8 speakers, AM/FM/6-disc in-dash CD changer, speed-sensitive auto volume control and RDS radio function standard on 3.5 SL and available on 3.5 SE
- Available factory installed satellite radio (XM or Sirius providers)
- Available Nissan DVD-based navigation system with 7-inch color display
- Heated front seats on 3.5 SL (available on 3.5 SE)
- Dual zone air conditioning with automatic temperature control and rear vents
- Dot-matrix center display screen (non-Navigation System) that provides HVAC, audio system and trip computer functions in one central location
- Chrome interior door handles, locks and parking brake button
- Available Bluetooth Hands-Free Phone System
Safety and Security
- Zone Body construction with front and rear crumple zones
- Standard Nissan Advanced Air Bag System (AABS) with dual-stage air bags, seat belt sensors and front-seat side-impact supplemental air bags and curtain side-impact supplemental air bags
- Front-seat active head restraints, 3-point ALR/ELR seat belts (driver’s seat ELR only) including rear center position
- Front seat belts with adjustable upper anchors with pretensioners and load limiters
- 3-point ALR/ELR seat belts (driver’s seat ELR only) including rear center position
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) child seat anchors and tether system
- Emergency inside trunk-release
Models and Manufacturing
- Offered in two well-equipped V6 models: 3.5 SE and 3.5 SL
- Exterior and interior designed at Nissan Technical Center (NTC) in Atsugi, Japan
- Assembled by Nissan North America Manufacturing Smyrna & Decherd Tennessee Plant