The latest incarnation of the SE-R joins the Nissan lineup in March 2007 with two exciting versions, the Sentra SE-R and the higher horsepower Sentra SE-R Spec V. Both the new SE-R and SE-R Spec V are powered by Nissan’s advanced 2.5-litre 4-cylinder engine (QR25DE) and are equipped with a range of unique performance-oriented equipment and features, including standard 17-inch wheels and tires, 4-wheel disc brakes with Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) and specially tuned electric power steering (EPS) – as well as unique exterior and interior appearance modifications.
The new 2007 Sentra SE-R also promises to continue SE-R’s legendary “affordable performance” positioning, targeting a power-to-price ratio of 200 horsepower for around $25,000.
Both the SE-R and SE-R Spec V utilizes an advanced QR25DE HO 2.5-litre DOHC 4-cylinder engine designed specifically for the SE-R. Along with the larger displacement (2.5 litres versus 2.0 litres for standard 2007 Sentra models), the entire top end of the engine has been reworked for use in the SE-R Spec V – including unique intake and exhaust manifold, higher compression ratio (10.5:1), a higher redline (6,800 rpm) and unique camshaft profile and unique pistons and connecting rods.
The revised SE-R Spec V engine is rated at 200 horsepower and 180 lb-ft of torque. The SE-R Spec V also includes a standard close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission, Anti-lock Braking System with Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD), available Helical Limited Slip Differential, large 12.6” front disc brakes, rear disc brakes, sport suspension tuning and a rear trunk-mounted V-brace.
For use in the Sentra SE-R model, the engine is rated at 177 horsepower and 172 lb-ft of torque, and is mated to a specially modified version of Nissan’s Xtronic CVT™ (Continuously Variable Transmission) with standard paddle shifters.
Both the SE-R and SE-R Spec V also feature unique full front and rear fascias, side sill extensions, rear spoiler, unique headlight and rear combination lights and standard front fog/driving lights. Also standard are 17-inch aluminum alloy wheels. Like every 2007 Sentra, the SE-R is built on Nissan’s rigid new “C” platform that offers a longer wheelbase, more room and more interior flexibility than the previous Sentra design.
Inside the spacious Sentra cabin are a number of unique SE-R features such as sport bucket front seats with red stitching and an embroidered SE-R logo, unique seat fabrics, sport appearance two-gauge (G-meter and oil pressure) meter cluster, LCD gear indicator (Xtronic CVT only), aluminum pedal pads and a leather-appointed sport steering wheel. Spec V models also feature a leather-wrapped shifter knob and red front seat belts.
The new SE-R comes with a sport package that includes powers sunroof, 340 watt Rockford Fosgate Audio System with 6 disc CD changer and 8 speakers.
“The new SE-R takes full advantage of the redesigned 2007 Sentra and adds a level of power and performance that is usually available only through aftermarket modifications,” said Ian Forsyth, director, Corporate and Product Planning, Nissan Canada Inc. “With the 2007 model, Nissan has undertaken its most in-depth development effort yet for the SE-R.”
Development of the SE-R engine was guided by Motohiro Matsumura, Chief Vehicle Engineer, who previously led the development of Nissan’s highly acclaimed “VQ” series V6 engine.
Special emphasis was placed on the SE-R Spec V’s new high output version of the QR25DE 4-cylinder engine, with extensive modifications to the top end of the engine developed exclusively for the SE-R Spec V. Among the unique Spec V engine features are use of a unique resin intake manifold and dual branch exhaust manifold; revised piston crown shape to support a higher compression ratio (10.5:1); iridium tipped spark plugs for improved combustion characteristics; and a revised cam shaft profile, reinforced connecting rods and 8-counterweight crankshaft to achieve a higher redline limit of 6,800 rpm.
With these modifications, the power achieved is 200 horsepower at 6,600 rpm and 180 lb-ft of torque at 5,200 rpm (when using premium unleaded fuel). Helping to put all this power to the ground is an optional Helical Limited-Slip Differential (available on the Spec V only). The Spec V model is available only with a close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission. It also has unique suspension, brakes, tires and body structure changes (versus the base SE-R).
In the area of chassis, handling and braking performance, the SE-R Spec V is equipped with higher rate springs, shocks and bushings; 225/45WR17 uni-directional high performance tires on the Sport Package models; high capacity front disc brakes with 12.6-inch rotors; and a revised cowl top structure and a unique trunk mounted “V” brace, both utilized for increased body rigidity.
Chassis performance and vehicle dynamics tests were conducted on the grueling Nurburgring Nordschleife closed circuit outside of Cologne, Germany. Behind the wheel of the SE-R Spec V on the Nordschleife circuit was Nissan’s chief development driver, Yukio Kamiyama, who was also responsible for Nissan’s legendary Skyline R32 and R33 models.
“With Nissan’s top development staff working on Sentra SE-R, it has achieved unprecedented levels of power and performance,” said Forsyth.
The SE-R model offers fun-to-drive performance and aggressive, sporty appearance to those who want the convenience of an automatic transmission. The Sentra SE-R, equipped exclusively with Nissan’s Xtronic CVT™ (Continuously Variable Transmission), is a unique offering in the sport compact market.
Enhancing the driving experience of the SE-R model are steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters. Designed to be fun and engaging, the paddle shifters allow for quick and responsive up shifts and down shifts while driving on mountain roads or just negotiating through daily traffic.
“As we’ve shown with the Xtronic CVT-equipped Altima and Maxima, CVTs are not just for smoothness and fuel economy – they can be tuned for performance also” said Forsyth.
Performance in the SE-R is delivered by the QR25DE engine tuned for 177 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 172 lb-ft of torque at 2,800 rpm (on regular unleaded fuel). The 2007 SE-R is 15% more fuel efficient than its 2006 predecessor.
The new SE-R’s independent strut front / torsion beam rear suspension design, shared with the standard 2007 Sentra, has been tuned for sporty handling, while not being overly firm during everyday use.
Stopping power for the SE-R is provided by 4-wheel disc brakes with 11.7-inch front rotors. Contact with the road is handled through 225/45VR17 all-season performance tires.
Inside the Sentra SE-R cabin are a number of unique SE-R features, including an exclusive black interior colour, sport bucket front seats with SE-R stitching, unique seat fabrics, red seat belts (Spec V only), aluminum foot pedal pads, leather-appointed steering wheel and shift knob, and an additional two-gauge meter pack.
These two additional gauges, canted towards the driver, provide information on oil pressure and acceleration/deceleration g-force.
Like all 2007 Sentra models, the new SE-R also offers an array of comfort and convenience features including standard power windows and door locks, air conditioning, AM/FM/CD 6-speaker audio, and an integrated overhead compact disc holder. Optional in the Sport Package is a 340-watt Rockford Fosgate audio system and power sunroof.
Standard safety features for the Sentra SE-R include an Advanced Air Bag System (AABS) with dual stage front air bags and occupant classification system for the front passenger seat, front seat side air bags, side curtain air bags (for front and rear outboard occupant head protection), front seat Active Head Restraints and Zone Body construction.
“The last great component of the new 2007 Sentra SE-R is price. We’re targeting a starting price of around $25,000 for the Sentra SE-R Spec V – which means 200 horsepower for $25K – which we believe makes SE-R Spec V one of the best values in the sport compact segment,” said Forsyth. “This new Sentra SE-R has a lot to offer even the most demanding enthusiasts. It’ll be a thrill to drive, right out of the box.”
The 2007 Nissan Sentra SE-R include:
- Unique SE-R front and rear fascias, side sill extensions, rear spoiler, SE-R badge
- A long wheelbase of 105.7 inches (2685 mm), resulting in 97.7 cubic feet (2767 L) of passenger volume (an increase of more than 9.0 cubic feet (261 L) over the previous generation Sentra)
- A wide overall width of 70.5 inches (1790 mm) (similar to that of many mid-size sedans
- Platform and Powertrain
- All-new Nissan “C” platform
- Front engine/front-wheel drive
- All-new 16-valve QR25DE High Output 2.5-litre DOHC inline 4-cylinder engine
- SE-R Spec V rated at 200 horsepower @ 6,600 rpm and 180 lb-ft of torque @ 5,200 rpm resulting from extensive modifications to the top end of the engine, including:
- Unique resin intake manifold and dual branch exhaust manifold
- Revised piston crown shape
- Iridium-tipped spark plugs
- Revised cam-shaft profile
- Reinforced connecting rods
- An 8 counterweight crankshaft
- 10.5:1 compression ratio, 6,800 rpm redline (SE-R Spec V)
- SE-R rated at 177 horsepower @ 6,000 rpm and 172 lb-ft of torque @2,800 rpm
- Close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission standard on SE-R Spec V
- Specially modified Nissan Xtronic CVT™ (Continuously Variable Transmission) with paddle shifters standard on SE-R
- Available Helical Limited-Slip Differential on SE-R Spec V
- Suspension, Steering and Braking
- Sport tuning for SE-R Spec V suspension, which includes higher rate springs, shocks and dampers
- Independent strut front suspension with stabilizer bar
- Torsion beam rear suspension with integral stabilizer bar
- Revised cowl top structure and unique trunk-mounted “V” brace on SE-R Spec V for increased body rigidity
- Electric power-assisted steering (EPS)
- Standard 17-inch aluminum-alloy wheels
- 225/45WR17 unidirectional high performance summer tires on SE-R Spec V with Sport Package; 225/45VR17 all-season tires on SE-R & SE-R Spec V
- Power-assisted 4-wheel disc brakes with Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD); SE-R features 11.7-inch front/11.5-inch rear discs; SE-R Spec V includes high capacity 12.6-inch front/11.5-inch rear discs
- Interior Features
- Sport-type front bucket seats with red stitching and embroidered SE-R logo
- Unique seat fabrics, meter cluster with two additional gauges (G-meter and oil pressure)
- Sport leather-appointed steering wheel (SE-R and Spec V) and shifter knob (Spec V only)
- Aluminum pedal pads
- Red front seat belts (Spec V only)
- Roomy, high quality interior with long list of available amenities
- Electric actuated heating and ventilation controls with a 26-step fan speed control
- Standard 6-speaker 160-watt AM/FM/CD system with satellite radio pre-wiring, auxiliary input jack and Radio Data System
- Available 8-speaker 340-watt Rockford Fosgate-powered AM/FM/in-dash CD6 system with satellite radio pre-wire, mp3 capability and Radio Data System
- Safety and Security
- Standard Advanced Air Bag System (AABS) (includes dual-stage front supplemental air bags and occupant classification system for the front passenger seat)
- Standard roof-mounted side curtain air bags for front and rear outboard occupant head protection
- Standard front seat-mounted side-impact air bags for chest and pelvis protection
- Standard front seat Active Head Restraints for head and neck protection in rear impacts
- Standard 3-point seatbelts for all seating positions
- Standard LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) system
- Standard child safety rear door locks
- Standard engine immobilizer system
- Zone Body construction featuring front and rear crumple zones and occupant zone
- Models and Manufacturing
- Offered in two performance models: SE-R and SE-R Spec V
- Assembled by Nissan Mexicana SA de CV (NMEX-DF), Aguascalientes, Mexico