A new expression of driving pleasure, the 207 SW RC combines a sporty spirit with high-quality equipment all contained in stylish design full of character, with five full-size seats. It has been designed to captivate customers who live life to the full. The 207 is the latest and third member of the 207 family, is characterised by its dynamic equipment styling.
The 207 SW RC accentuates the naturally muscular body style of the 207 SW and, draws its inspiration from the 207 hatchback, but confirms its sporty nature with a number of unique design features:
- “Sport” front design with an aluminium painted air intake grille
- Dark tinted rear side windows, rear quarter windows and rear tailgate glass
- Large aerodynamic rear spoiler mounted on the rear tailgate
- Double chrome-plated rear exhaust pipes
- «Pitlane» diamond cut alloy wheels fitted with Bridgestone Potenza 205/45.17 tyres
- Satin chrome exterior mirror covers
- Dispensing with roof bars, which would detract from the aerodynamic image, it combines these strong design features with equipment which indicates the extensive research carried out into both quality of life on board, and occupants well being:
- Panoramic glass roof with electric sun blind
- Rear tailgate glass which opens separately from the tailgate by means of the remote control
The 207 SW RC is powered by the 1.6 litre THP (Turbo High Pressure) 128 kW (≈ 175 bhp) engine developing a torque of 240 Nm from 1600 rpm – this output remains constant up to 4500 rpm but can be increased temporarily to 260 Nm thanks to the «overboost» function. The engine is fitted with a gearbox with five specially selected gear ratios.
This engine, first seen on the 207 RC three-door hatchback, therefore guarantees optimum performance and exceptional in gear acceleration, due to its power and its high torque at low engine speeds, while at the same time limiting fuel consumption to a reasonable level at constant engine speeds.
So, with the driver only on board, the performance is as follows:
- Maximum speed: 135 mph (220 km/h)
- 1,000 m standing start: 28.6 s
- 0 to 60 mph (0 to 100 km/h): 7.6 s
- In gear acceleration 50-75 mph
- (80-120 km/h): 7.9 s(in top gear)
- The combined consumption is 38.2 mpg
- (7.4 l /100 km) (that is 175 g of CO2/km).
Several technical innovations have made this possible, in particular:
- The direct injection of petrol at high pressure
- This allows a high specific power output to be achieved with low fuel consumption and low emissions.
- The «overboost» system. This permits a temporary increasing of the torque value of 240 Nm to 260 Nm, in the top three gears.
- The Twin-Scroll turbocharger, fitted for the first time on the THP 150 bhp engine
- This pairs («twin») the exhaust gases of two cylinders in the exhaust manifold and the turbocharger. The two gas flows are then directed through «scrolls» in the turbocharger body.
- The Variable Valve Timing for the inlet camshaft and the roller cam followers, reducing friction. This helps to achieve the high power and torque output while assisting in reducing fuel consumption and emissions.
- The flow controlled oil pump
This provides the exact volume of oil necessary and therefore does not absorb unnecessary power from the engine reducing fuel consumption.
The road holding of the 207 SW RC benefits from the excellent rigidity of the 207 structure, its highly effective and precise suspension and the efficient electric power steering.
The characteristics of the suspension and steering are specific to the 207 SW RC.
It is inspired by the 207 RC and shares the same wheels and 205/45R17 Bridgestone Potenza tyres, the shock absorber settings and steering geometry but has numerous special features to take into account the new body type, the possible increased load on the rear axle and also the customer’s expectations of this body type – in terms of comfort in particular.
The front suspension dispenses with normal bushes in favour of uprated flexible mountings, the rear suspension has a torsion beam adapted to the new weight and therefore is not as stiff as that of the RC hatchback, and the suspension springs are also softer.
This specification and the finely tuned design have allowed the 207 SW RC to provide a high level of primary safety.
Braking is provided by 302 x 26 mm ventilated discs at the front and 249 x 9 mm at the rear.
The 207 SW RC is fitted as standard with ESP (electronic stability programme) incorporating SSP (steering stability program) which links the ESP and the electric power steering. This function reduces the braking distance on surfaces offering different grip levels while maintaining the stability of the vehicle.
It was decided that the sporty nature of the 207 SW RC should be less «radical» than that of the hatchback, therefore the traction control and stability control functions of the ESP can be deactivated temporarily but, will reactivate automatically once the vehicle reaches a speed greater than 30 mph (50 km/h).
Protected by a strong structure which has been designed to absorb and dissipate impact forces, the five occupants will also benefit from a complete range of safety systems with, in particular, six air bags, five seat belts with an audible / visual seat belt not fastened and unfastened warning system, two Isofix mountings and rear head restraints designed to minimise «whiplash» in the event of a rear impact.
The 207 SW RC also benefits from automatic locking of the doors when the vehicle reaches a speed of 6 mph (10 km/h).
The passenger compartment
The sporty nature is clearly felt in the passenger compartment with certain features borrowed from the 207 RC:
- the dials in the instrument panel have chrome surrounds, black “chequered” background and red indicator needles.
- «Indy» fascia panel decorative trim
- the smooth/perforated dual-leather steering wheel with thumb rest and Indy decorative trim
- drilled aluminium pedals
- metal sport gear level knob
- black mats trimmed with black leather and a contrasting light grey overstitching
Nevertheless, the 207 SW RC illustrates sportiness in a very individual way:
The sculptured bucket seats of the 207 RC are now replaced with supportive sport seats «from the 207 sport range», more suited to the «leisure» nature of the 207 SW RC. These seats are specially upholstered in «Mystery Grey Payerne» woven cloth in the centre and black leather, It is complimented with contrasting light grey overstitching.
This sportiness will be appreciated when using the 207 SW RC and guarantees quality and pleasure. Whether it is a trip with friends, carrying surfing or diving equipment, the enjoyment of family weekends with room for the pushchair and travel cot, convenience should you make a chance discovery in an antique shop, such as:
- the vast 337 dm3 VDA (or 448 litres) boot in which the use of all available space has been cleverly designed and the volume of which, with the rear seats folded reaches 1258 dm3 VDA (1433 litres),
- the «magic» rear modularity which permits folding of the seat back against the cushion with just one operation, while the cushion drops into the floor to form a perfectly flat load area,
- the rear parcel shelf, cleverly designed with its three flaps permitting easy access to the content of the boot in three ways, including from inside.
The entire range of 207 comfort equipment is available on the SW RC. This includes, the dual zone automatic air conditioning with glove box cooling as standard. Or the JBL hi-fi system and the all new RT4 system (which the 207 SW RC and the 207 Outdoor are the first to offer) fitted as standard or an option according to the market.
For the driver’s convenience and in order to facilitate driving and safety, all 207 SW RCs are fitted with a rear parking sensors and offer, as standard or as an option according to the market, a speed limiter coupled with the cruise control, tyre pressure sensors, static directional headlamps, an electro-chrome rear view interior mirror, automatic wipers with rain sensor, automatic headlamp.