Saturn announced a new variant of the completely redesigned 2008 Vue crossover utility at the Chicago Auto Show:the affordable, fuel-saving Green Line hybrid.
The 2008 Vue Green Line hybrid will continue to provide consumers with an affordable hybrid that also provides uncompromised utility.
The hybrid system on the Vue Green Line combines sophisticated controls with an electric motor/generator mated to a 2.4L four-cylinder engine and a modified four-speed automatic transmission. The system saves fuel by p roviding an electric power assist during acceleration; shutting off the engine at idle; early fuel cut-off during deceleration and capturing electrical energy through regenerative braking. Fuel economy figures for the 2008 Vue will be announced later.
The 2008 Vue was first shown last November at the Greater Los Angeles International Auto Show, as an uplevel XR model. At the show, Saturn also announced it will offer a version of the Vue Green Line with GM’s new two-mode hybrid system, in the third quarter of 2008 . This system will provide a 45-percent improvement in fuel economy compared to its non-hybrid counterpart.
Additionally, General Motors committed to producing a plug-in version of the Vue Green Line that will double the fuel economy performance of any SUV currently on the market. No date has been set for the introduction of the plug-in hybrid, but it is a top priority for the company.
The Vue XR (and base-level XE) will arrive at Saturn retailers this spring. The Vue Red Line will arrive in the third quarter of 2007 and the Vue Green Line hybrid will arrive in the fourth quarter of 2007.
All 2008 Vue models feature the Saturn’s new design cues and European-inspired performance characteristics. Standard equipment highlights include:
- MacPherson strut independent front suspension with stabilizer bar
- Independent multi-link rear suspension with stabilizer bar
- Double-isolated engine cradle
- Four-wheel disc brakes with ABS
- GM StabiliTrak electronic stability control with rollover sensing system
- Traction control
- Hydraulically assisted power steering on V-6 models
- Dual-stage frontal air bags, front-seat side thorax air bags and head curtain air bags covering front and rear rows
- Front-row safety belt pretensioners
- Collapsible pedals
- Active head restraints
- OnStar with one year Safe & Sound service
The 2008 Vue Saturn joins the Sky roadster, Aura sedan and the Outlook crossover utility in the revitalized Saturn portfolio. Saturn also introduced the 2008 Astra small car at the Chicago show.