In 1965 the most prestigious racecar in the world, was a fastback version of Carroll Shelby’s Cobra. Designed by Peter Brock, the Shelby Daytona Coupe was the latest offering from the American racing driver and was also responsible for winning the 24 Hours of Lemans, and ultimately the World Manufacturer’s Championship that same year.
In order to celebrate this historic automobile, Shelby is unveiling a special edition: the Shelby Daytona Coupe Le Mans Edition. The car is powered by a 530 HP V8, and there will even be a racing version with 560 HP. The special editions come with modern touches like 18 inch wheels and tires, suede Momo racing steering wheel, Alcantara seats with "Le Mans Edition" embroidery, "Le Mans Edition" gauges with a 200 mph speedometer and a tachometer that goes up to 10,000 RPM,
Press release after the jump.
In 1964, Shelby took the motorsports world by storm with the Daytona Coupe. With a revolutionary design by Peter Brock, the car was capable of reaching an incredible 187 mph on the Mulsanne Straight at Le Mans. In 1965, the Daytona Coupe became the first and only American car to win the FIA GT World Championship, cementing its legacy in motorsports history. Now Exotic Auto Restoration of Costa Mesa, CA is allowing car enthusiasts to bring the legend of Le Mans to their own driveway. Based on the Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe built by Superformance and also designed by Peter Brock, the Le Mans Edition has been upgraded in the spirit of the original racecar.
To enhance both the looks and performance of the Daytona Coupe, Exotic Auto Restoration has designed new body and interior components that blend seamlessly with the rest of the car. "I wanted to give the car a wider, more aggressive stance as well as the capability of turning better lap times," explains George Cunha, owner of Exotic Auto Restoration. Named for the Le Mans 24 Hour race that the Daytona Coupe won in 1965, this package includes the following:
- Group 5 fender flares front and rear
- Wider 18-inch wheels and tires
- Heavy duty Bilstein shocks and H&R springs
- Functional billet aluminum top and side hood louvers
- Reclinable Alcantera suede seats with "Le Mans Edition" embroidery
- Brushed billet aluminum dashboard with aircraft-style toggle switches
- "Le Mans Edition" gauges with 200 mph speedometer and 10k rpm tachometer
- Suede Momo racing steering wheel
Customers can choose from a variety of motors based on the Ford 351 Windsor block. Powering this particular Daytona Coupe Le Mans is a Roush 402R V8 producing 530 horsepower and 515 lb-ft torque mated to a Tremec T56 6-speed transmission.
In addition, a track-oriented version is also available. Only six will be built (two have been pre-sold, leaving four available) in this configuration to commemorate the six original racecars, each featuring an authentic Shelby-built V8. Adding to the standard Le Mans Edition components, this package includes the following:
- 6-point roll cage
- Lightweight wheels with 2.5-inch locking nut
- 14-inch, 6-piston brakes front, 13-inch, 6-piston brakes rear
- Carbon fiber front splitter and rear diffuser
- A/C delete
- Carpet delete
- Full race seats with 6-point harnesses
- Quick-release steering wheel
- Dash-mounted programmable ignition module
- Dash-mounted brake bias controls
- Shelby aluminum block 351 V8 bored and stroked to 427ci
- 560 horsepower and 530 lb-ft torque
- Tremec TKO-600 transmission
- Full dry sump lubrication system