It is an honest shame that the economic instability of new car market has caused the Japanese all wheel drive automaker, Subaru to withdrawal from competing on the world’s stage in the World Rally Championship with their Impreza WRX STI. However, despite the fact that there is no longer a factory backed rally car wearing the yellow and blue livery, the automaker hasn’t discontinued production of the model that is based on; the Subaru Impreza WRX STI Spec C.
The new STI Spec C will be built in a limited run of only 900 units and will be availbel in unique finishes like Sunrise Yellow and Pure White. The idea of the Spec C is to enhance the engine’s potential and increase performance by stiffening the chassis and incorporating a few light weight components which makes the best foundation for a fully built race car. The ECU is upgraded right from the factory so now the new ball bearing turbocharged DOHC 16 valve flat four EJ20 engine now delivers 308 HP and 311 lb-ft of torque. The Spec C comes complete with an aluminum hood, smaller battery, lighter windows and some new 18 inch alloy wheels.
The car’s handling is improved by a reinforced front end, stiffer springs and shock absorbers, larger anti-roll bars and upgraded sub frame bushings. The engineers at Subaru Technica International also decided that the Spec C would benefit from a mechanical Limited Slip Differential in the back as opposed to the standard models gear type LSD.
Press release after the jump.
Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the maker of Subaru automobiles, today launches the “Subaru Impreza WRX STI spec C”, a new addition to the current WRX STI line-up. The model goes on sale today through Subaru dealerships in Japan.
Based on the Impreza WRX STI, the iconic sport model of Subaru, the WRX STI spec C model features enhanced engine and chassis performance as well as a lighter body on the premise of driving in motor sports. The model further strengthens its presence in the high performance car arena by offering sheer excitement and unique driving sensations as a distinctive road sport model, in line with the performance level originally delivered by the Impreza WRX STI.
The turbocharger newly adopted ball bearings for the turbine axle bearing, and the ECU (Engine Control Unit) program was also exclusively tuned. Thus the engine of the spec C model provides quicker response and improved accelerating performance. Thanks to its specially designed front & rear suspensions and improved body rigidity, the chassis offers stable and linear driving control even in marginal driving conditions. The adoption of an aluminum engine hood, laminar window glasses and a downsized battery resulted in a lighter body, which further polishes the model’s driving performance.
Subaru enhanced the WRX STI line-up by introducing this STI spec C model, in addition to the STI A-Line model, the AT version introduced in February this year.
Enhancement of Engine performance:
- Ball bearings of the turbine axle were newly adopted to reduce friction in the turbocharger. With the optimized ECU programming, the engine offers smoother and quicker response to the accelerator pedal and excellent accelerating performance.
- An inter-cooler water spray prevents rise in intake-air temperature at continued high-load driving, providing stable engine performance and improved efficiency.
Enhancement of Chassis performance:
- Reinforcement of the cross member in front-suspensions offers a linear steering response.
- Specification changes in damping force of suspensions, coil spring rate, rear stabilizer and rear sub-frame bushes optimize rigidity for body roll and retain excellent road-holding capability.
- Rear LSD (Limited Slip Differential) system was changed to a mechanical type from a Torsen type to obtain the steady and powerful traction during cornering.
- Bridgestone “POTENZA RE070” (245/40R18) were adopted to enhance cornering ability and higher grip performance, especially in dry conditions.
- Nimble handling with a firm steering feel is assured by increasing oil flow volume in the power steering system.
- An aluminum engine hood and a downsized battery, which make the front section of the vehicle lighter, produce better maneuverability.
- Laminar glasses were adopted in the front and side windows. They lightened the upper section of the body weight, resulting in improved stability during cornering.
- Newly-designed lightweight 18-inches alloy wheels are standard to offer excellent road-hugging property by reducing unsprung weight. (17-inches alloy wheels are optional)
- A flat tire repair kit is standard, which also helps weight reduction.
- A structural change of fuel pomp provides stable fuel delivery even on high-load driving.
- Gold colored “brembo” brake calipers are standard.
- The front bucket seats (fabric with red stitch) are standard on models with 18-inches alloy wheels.
- The “RECARO” seats (Alcantara and leather combination with red stitch) are optional on models with 18-inches alloy wheels.
- Two exclusive exterior colors are available; Sunrise Yellow and Pure White.
- The production is limited to 900 units.
- Engine type: Horizontally-Opposed 4-cylinder DOHC 16-valve turbocharged engine
- Displacement: 1,994 cc
- Maximum output: 227kW (308 PS)/6,400 rpm
- Maximum torque: 422 Nm (43.0 kgf·m)/4,400 rpm
- Turbo type: Ball-bearing type twin scroll turbocharger